Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking About Getting A Focus
Drivesthebeast,Aug 16 2006, 10:38 AM Wrote:Mine is an 01....NO recalls, no TSB's...just a letter one time from Ford saying they will replace all of my springs if any of them fail.  I informed them I no longer needed stock ones, as I have the SHM suspension.

Despite a few hicups with wear and tear items, this car has been flawless.  When the clutch goes...it goes...I'll replace it with an aftermarket one.  If the engine goes...then I'll rebuild it as well,  but I don't see that happening anytime soon as some members (like GapboyPCS) have a LOT of km's on their cars...like 200,000-300,000 kms...all of which have been painless.

Brandon, Your best bet is to just buy a 2001-2003 ZTS sedan, and not waste time with the lower models (no offence to those who have them).  You'll be more pleased with your purchase if you score one with leathers, a 5 speed, rims, and all the toys for only a little more than the sport or SE models.

In terms of switching from a Sunfire GT, TheRCguy....awesome choice... A ZX3 premium has a lot more to offer than the Sunny.  It's got a better designed and more luxurious interior, the body is less prone to rusting, the Zetec is less failureprone (neighbours of mine have gone through 2x engines and 3x tranny's in theirs).  Also, as I'm sure you've found, you can customize the Foci a lot if you want to.

When it comes to the Focus being labled a "Cheap" car...well, it is, and it was sold as one too...thing is that the others pointed out, that's a GOOD thing for people that wanna buy one.  Everyone else can keep the BOREolla's and Cookie Cutter Nation mobiles...you'll have something different, and something that was more car for the money in the firstplace.

Oh yeah

Welcome to the board, and hope you both stick around....
[right][snapback]202582[/snapback][/right]

Actually in the mid-stream (look at sig). Guestimate 300K by next year.

The resale values were hit the hardest on the 2000 and 2001 model years mainly because of the stigma of recalls and quality issues. Most of the prices I've seen seem to reflect better for 2002 and later vehicles because of the lack of major recalls and improved quality over the years. Resale values also are impacted by the general stigma that domestic compact cars lose value and they are totally flooded via the fleet market. That's also why the Focus is a bit "cheaper" than some of its competitors when used.

As long as you make sure the used Focus has been taken care of i.e. proper maintenance, you should be okay in the buy. To be safer, getting new is always an option because of the basic bumper-to-bumper warranty (which has been EXTENDED AGAIN to 5 yrs/100K). Although the styling might not appeal to some, it's definitely becoming one of those bargains.

Ultimately, you need to drive what makes you happy. I have to admit that over my ownership experience I am...and still clocking the km's!
Richard | Focused 24-7
2002 ZTS | Sangria Red | +400,000 km - most of it avoiding potholes 100km/h at a time

OFOC - Ontario Focus Owners Club | SVTOA-Toronto | Redline Rendezvous @ Mosport International Raceway
Hey guys..Just letting you know I'm still here and still shoppin' for a Focus..
I've pretty much decided that this is the car for me..Just waiting until the "house sale" goes through and my finances are 'back to normal'..
In the meantime I've been scoping out the choices..Color, body style, etc..
Its a toss up between the two door(always loved the rally car Focus)...The 4 door sedan or hatchback...Think its gonna come down to whats available when I sign the dotted line and color and options will probably play a bigger factor than the body style..
Fanx a huge ton for all your input..Very much appreciated..Looking forward to dumping my Sunny ASAP..Hope it makes it for another month or so of 40km trips to work everyday..And then its off to the scrap yard..Well, maybe not scrap..The car looks awesome..Its just not that great mechanically..

Again!!!

Tired of the yearly visits to "the shop"...At least my Focus won't be any worse, eh?

:rolleyes:
^^^^get a Civic...the ricier the better
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
You'll find the greatest amount of mods out there are for the 00-03 ZX3 and ZX5. Also, you'd be surprised at how few 5spd Foci there are on places like autotrader.ca...

Best of luck to ya
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
We expect to see the new car at the BBQ next year! :P
Go with the Hatch..... !!! Hatchnation !!! ZX3 all the way !! :):):):):)
Skirt, Volant Intake, HID projectors, Eibach Suspension, SVT rims
ZX3guy2000,Sep 5 2006, 09:29 AM Wrote:Go with the Hatch.....  !!!  Hatchnation !!!  ZX3 all the way !!  :):):):):)
[right][snapback]205417[/snapback][/right]

Don't listen to him.......the mirror tint on the car prevents him from getting his daily dose of sunlight. GO WITH A SEDAN. There is plenty of room in the back seat... ;) B)
Car Run Down for past 5 years:

Make / Model / Year / Status

Ford / Focus Sedan / 01 / STOLEN/WROTE OFF
Pontiac / Grand AM SE / 98 / STOLEN/Location still unknown
Dodge / SX 2.0 Sport / 04 / DRIVEWAY (lowjacked equip)

I HATE THIEVING PUNKS!!!!
(can the car gods make it three cars in a row to be stolen?)
Besides a sedan built up is a sleeper. A built up hatch is a cop magnet :D

NefCanuck
Ah your both haters!!! LOL..... and I get my UV through the front :P
Skirt, Volant Intake, HID projectors, Eibach Suspension, SVT rims