Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking About Getting A Focus
Well I can tell you I have had two focus's and they have both been great cars, Personally if you are going Used, get one with a warentee on it or with a extened warentee available just to cover you, and be sure to make sure the car your buying is upto date on all the Recall repairs.

2000 is the one with the most amount of recalls currently, and it's still an all round good car.

If your looking for a Sedan or Wagon I highly recommend getting a Street Edtion Focus as there is only 1500 in Canada, 500 in each of the three colours they came out in, and only 50 with a special package. they came with the European Zetec suspension that handel better then the regular Sedans 2001+. On the plus side they are the same on insurance rates, and they have more then the SE Sports' and about the same as the ZTS, only way to tell them appart is they have a black trim on the doors and front and rear bumpers.

this is mine:

[Image: 000_0258.jpg]

The Street Editions Came with the following options:

* "European-tuned" supension
* Black lower-body moldings
* Rear spoiler
* 16" machined-aluminum wheels
* Chrome-tipped exhaust
* 6-disc in-dash CD changer
* Unique sport bucket seats
* Silver-faced gauges with red needles
* Silver dash & door accents
* Silver shift knob (manual)
* Leather wrapped steering wheel
* Available in three colors:
- Fun in the Sun Yellow (first and only availability on sedan & wagon)
- Malibu Blue - Malibu Blue was also exclusive to the sedan and wagon Street Edition.
- Infra-Red
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
PIGEON1,Jun 23 2006, 04:59 PM Wrote:I wouldn't trade this car for any other car in the world...............I'm a FOCUS man for life.
[right][snapback]194976[/snapback][/right]

this the focus your first car out of curiosity? nothing wrong with the focus, but really curious because i even when i got my zx3 brand new in '00 i never felt like that. i knew full well i was getting into a focus because i could not afford a 3series/integraR/civicSi/etc/etc
so if I buy a used car when does ford say I can't get/buy an extended warranty anymore ? Also how much is it ??
2001 Celica GT-S
[Image: 06.jpg]
brandon6976,Jun 23 2006, 04:35 PM Wrote:so if I buy a used car when does ford say I can't get/buy an extended warranty anymore ? Also how much is it ??
[right][snapback]195013[/snapback][/right]

That depends on how old/mileage on the car. For example I didn't buy the extended warrantee on my '05 when I bought the car last April (It was an ex-daily rental) with 14K on it, but Ford cheerfully sold me their 7/150 enhanced warrantee this year as I was still only at 30K on it.

Second party warrantees are always a crapshoot. I bought a second party warranty with my Olds and they were generally okay but the GM dealer had to whack them over the skull to pay out on a head gasket repair (No extra cost to me other than the delay in getting the thing fixed.

NefCanuck
Go dealer-only for the warrantee. You'll thank yourself later.

Even at 3 years old (at the time), we were offered up to 4 years of warranty, in differing flavours - powertrain, bumper-to-bumper, etc.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
yeah i understand that but lets say I get a used Focus from my neighbour or some guy off the street and it has like 80 or 90k on it.

Will ford still let me buy an extended warranty or is it too late ?? so like does the car have to be in warranty to buy the extended was more my question
2001 Celica GT-S
We bought directly from a dealer. If you buy from a private sale... you're not likely to be eligible for any factory/dealer-based warranty.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Not sure if it matters anymore, but my car has been awesome! I have had it for a year, and it just recent hit the 20,000 km mark. I have a 2005 ZX5. Personally, I also really like the 2006 Focus' too.

My guy's car is a 2001 ZTS! He use to have a lot of problems with it at the beginning, but now his car runs amazing - he's just over 80,000. Since he has modded it a bit, the gas milage is amazing which mine isn't so much.

BTW, I absolutely love your celica! It came down to a Focus or a Celica, but my parents got me the Focus due to extra stuff or whatever. I know some people on your board and have of heard of you quite a bit!

Good luck on your next car hunting! :)
Quote:My guy's car is a 2001 ZTS! He use to have a lot of problems with it at the beginning, but now his car runs amazing - he's just over 80,000. Since he has modded it a bit, the gas milage is amazing which mine isn't so much.

I am the above mentioned ZTS. It had problems but they are all sorted and that should be the case for any 2001. Its now been years without any issues. It was never the engine per se but rather associated stuff like anti polution controls and fuel issues.

It is a great "second car" and a great commuter car. I have another car (WRX) for fun myself.

Nice wheels on the Toyota, I have the same ones:

[Image: Picture010small2.jpg]
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
hmm it sounds like the older ones (say 2000-2002) I'm better off to get one with higher milage that's been through all its recalls hehe ..

I think I've definately deicded on getting a focus its just a matter of year.
2001 Celica GT-S
whats your price range, thatll give us a better idea of what year/mileage you would be able to get into a focus for.
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
Hey Guys..
Great topic and some great info..
I am currenmtly getting a little tired of my Sunfire GT(won't buy another one!!) and looking for something different and searches for info on the Focus brought me here..

I started just wanting a cheap Automatic commuter with Air..

But in looking I have noticed that the Focus seems to be a huge deal compared to other cars..For around $10k I can get an '03 fully, fully, fully,loaded with very low km..!!
The other option was a Jetta but for around $10k I'm looking at a very used and abused car with high km..
As for the Civic...Not even in the ballpark..

So then I became concerned..Why are these cars so cheap??...Are they junk..Lemons..Whats the scoop..
And as I've been reading here and in other places, it seems that they are cheap because they are "Ford Focus's" and that seems to be the main reason..
And thoughts on that..Anybody else come to the same conclusion..
All that being said..I have never been a Ford guy, but I think my next car will be a 2001-2004 Focus 4 dr sedan..(with a rear scoop)...(probably in the next month or two)..

I'd really like to hear your any opions on why I shouild or shouldn't??
Any help is muchly appreciated..And that includes you '05 and newer guys as well.. ;)

thercguy,Aug 12 2006, 11:57 AM Wrote:Hey Guys..
Great topic and some great info..
I am currenmtly getting a little tired of my Sunfire GT(won't buy another one!!) and looking for something different and searches for info on the Focus brought me here..

I started just wanting a cheap Automatic commuter with Air..

But in looking I have noticed that the Focus seems to be a huge deal compared to other cars..For around $10k I can get an '03 fully, fully, fully,loaded with very low km..!!
The other option was a Jetta but for around $10k I'm looking at a very used and abused car with high km..
As for the Civic...Not even in the ballpark..

So then I became concerned..Why are these cars so cheap??...Are they junk..Lemons..Whats the scoop..
And as I've been reading here and in other places, it seems that they are cheap because they are "Ford Focus's" and that seems to be the main reason..
And thoughts on that..Anybody else come to the same conclusion..
All that being said..I have never been a Ford guy, but I think my next car will be a 2001-2004 Focus 4 dr sedan..(with a rear scoop)...(probably in the next month or two)..

I'd really like to hear your any opions on why I shouild or shouldn't??
Any help is muchly appreciated..And that includes you '05 and newer guys as well..  ;)
[right][snapback]202121[/snapback][/right]

Well 1st off welcome to our site, and you did pick a good site to come to for general information.

You are deffantly right though about the Focus being a " cheap " deal though. Really though their is nothing wrong with a focus cept in the 2000 model year as I stated earlier in a post at the top of the page.

I don't really think their is a problem with the pricing for a ford focus as they are very good car to be had and very durable and safe. There is more to be had in a Focus there then is in let's say a Corrolla or Civic as more or less your paying more for the name then the options you actually get in those cars.

Focus are more fun to drive I find, but I'm sure other people with say differently towards other cars, I will say this about VW there are more sites out there with over all poor owership experence like on the site myvwlemon.com.

A simple word of advice though when buying a Focus make sure it's completely upto date on all it's service recalls, and if you can get a complete workorder history on it with the sale of the car to you, so you know it's history. Good luck on your search as there are a many of deals to be had on the Focus and options out there.

Oh, and a rear scoop is called a spoiler FYI ;)
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Hey Frost..Fanx for the reply..
Good advice on the recalls..I hope to get my Focus from a dealer, but not necessarilly a Ford one, so hopefully they'll have some paperwork for me..I'll keep that in mind..

I'm glad my Focus search led me here..Its a very nicely done site..Lots of stuff to read..And some very cool looking rides..Not sure mine will get like them but it is really cool to see what guys/gals are doing with their Focus's..

Rear scoop = spoiler..oops..Probably should have known that..haha.. :rolleyes:

Fanx again..
i purchesed my car last september(2002 ZTS) and it had 138km on it....its been good only untill like 4 months ago,right now its hitting 175km ....i started having some elctrical problems....like one if the spark plug wires got defected, the wire in the harness that goes into coil just broke off...and some unti freez part broke down,,,can't remember what its called....and all these was not mod wise....it responds pretty good to all the moods that i've done to it so far..just change your oil on time and ur good to go..i still love this car
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
hey naz, like DP has already said, please stop pissing in peoples cornflakes. He joined a focus website to get more info about that car. If he wanted to be like every other sheep out there, he would have joined torontocivics.com. ;)
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
naz,Jun 23 2006, 02:20 PM Wrote:
PIGEON1,Jun 23 2006, 04:59 PM Wrote:I wouldn't trade this car for any other car in the world...............I'm a FOCUS man for life.
[right][snapback]194976[/snapback][/right]

this the focus your first car out of curiosity? nothing wrong with the focus, but really curious because i even when i got my zx3 brand new in '00 i never felt like that. i knew full well i was getting into a focus because i could not afford a 3series/integraR/civicSi/etc/etc
[right][snapback]195006[/snapback][/right]

I have owned a Chevy crapolier, an Olds cutlass wagon, dodge shadow,and an F-250 pickup and they all had tons of s**t go wrong...especially the crapolier.
I have now got a couple hundred short of 170 on the car and still only the EGR tube, stut (sorta my fault) and a wheel bearing that just went. and they are 5.5yrs old now. In total my repairs have cost me approx. $400(labour included) so that is pretty damb good in my books.

just my cavalier in one year (last year i owned it) cost me almost $3000 in repairs. That's why I'm a FOCUS MAN FOR LIFE.
Car Run Down for past 5 years:

Make / Model / Year / Status

Ford / Focus Sedan / 01 / STOLEN/WROTE OFF
Pontiac / Grand AM SE / 98 / STOLEN/Location still unknown
Dodge / SX 2.0 Sport / 04 / DRIVEWAY (lowjacked equip)

I HATE THIEVING PUNKS!!!!
(can the car gods make it three cars in a row to be stolen?)
rc guy... if you're looking at getting a '03 model sedan through a dealership for 10K$, keep in mind the financing rates that the dealerships normally alot for 'used' cars through the Ford credit program.... when I was looking into buying my focus, a dealer was trying to unload an '05 ZX3 fo 19K$, fully loaded, to the brim. I thought that was a great deal until we started talking financing, which he failed to mention was at something ridiculous like 7.9% over 5 years. I wanted to smack the dealer.

Then I looked into getting a brand spanking new '06, and it turns out that at 0% financing, and with all the incentives right now (I got A plan, grad rebate, delivery incentive), it was way cheaper to buy a new car than a used car.

I know it's a lot of money, but for the extra 20-50$/month it might cost you to finance a new car, why not take a look into it??

P.S. I'm with most people on this site when I say I LOVE MY CAR!!!
Does a shorty anntena count as a mod?? Wink
2006 ZX5 UV red with SAP package

"Two things in life are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not so sure about the universe"
If it's 3 years old, 4 tops... used is a good deal normally. You can add on a few years' warranty for about 800-1000 (same as if you extend when new) and it's worth it. Otherwise, go brand new. Doubly so if you're not going to mod much and you'd rather lease.

Mine is an 01....NO recalls, no TSB's...just a letter one time from Ford saying they will replace all of my springs if any of them fail. I informed them I no longer needed stock ones, as I have the SHM suspension.

Despite a few hicups with wear and tear items, this car has been flawless. When the clutch goes...it goes...I'll replace it with an aftermarket one. If the engine goes...then I'll rebuild it as well, but I don't see that happening anytime soon as some members (like GapboyPCS) have a LOT of km's on their cars...like 200,000-300,000 kms...all of which have been painless.

Brandon, Your best bet is to just buy a 2001-2003 ZTS sedan, and not waste time with the lower models (no offence to those who have them). You'll be more pleased with your purchase if you score one with leathers, a 5 speed, rims, and all the toys for only a little more than the sport or SE models.

In terms of switching from a Sunfire GT, TheRCguy....awesome choice... A ZX3 premium has a lot more to offer than the Sunny. It's got a better designed and more luxurious interior, the body is less prone to rusting, the Zetec is less failureprone (neighbours of mine have gone through 2x engines and 3x tranny's in theirs). Also, as I'm sure you've found, you can customize the Foci a lot if you want to.

When it comes to the Focus being labled a "Cheap" car...well, it is, and it was sold as one too...thing is that the others pointed out, that's a GOOD thing for people that wanna buy one. Everyone else can keep the BOREolla's and Cookie Cutter Nation mobiles...you'll have something different, and something that was more car for the money in the firstplace.

Oh yeah

Welcome to the board, and hope you both stick around....
Bleeding Ford Blue again...