Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canadian Soldiers' Condom Use Way Up
Canadian soldiers' condom use way up: documents
Updated Sun. Jun. 11 2006 6:10 PM ET

Canadian Press

OTTAWA -- Internal military documents suggest Canadian soldiers really are getting a lot more action these days.

The troops are being supplied with condoms at what appears to be a staggering pace, with documents suggesting a 12-fold increase from just four years ago.

The military has dispensed just under 300,000 publicly paid prophylactics in each of the last two years, say figures obtained under the Access to Information Act.

"We hand them out like Kleenex,'' said one military official. "(The soldiers) just walk into the dispensary and claim them. We don't ask questions.''

The troops are fighting terrorists in Afghanistan and helping to protect a fragile democracy. They're training on bases at home to prepare for their perilous mission.

And in each of the last two years, they've used about $40,000 worth of lubricated, non-lubricated and non-latex female condoms, all paid for by the government.

Military brass do not keep track of where the condoms are distributed, so it's impossible to know how many are being used in Afghanistan or elsewhere.

At home and abroad, the Canadian Forces have a "don't ask, don't tell'' policy when soldiers request condoms at military dispensaries.

The policy dates to the First World War, and the military says it saves taxpayers money by keeping the troops out of the infirmary.

"Certainly the time spent to diagnose and treat (a sexually transmitted) disease, the time lost to duty . . . are costs to the service,'' said Maj. Jim Anderson of the military health services group.

"Part of the role of the Canadian Forces health service is to keep Canadian Forces members healthy so they can do their job.''

Use of military-issued condoms has risen drastically since 2002 but the demand has ebbed and flowed over a longer period.

In 1999, soldiers used 295,200 condoms supplied by National Defence. By 2002, the number had fallen to 25,355 condoms and the figures have increased steadily over the four years since. Military officials had no explanation for the fluctuation.

The good news for Canadian taxpayers is they're getting lots more bang for their buck.

The cost of condoms distributed in 1999 was over $100,000 -- or more than 30 cents for each prophylactic. The cost the last two years has dropped by almost two-thirds, to about $40,000 or 13 cents a condom.

Military spokespeople could not explain the drop in price or whether some change in accounting practice could help explain the dramatic increase in use.

Sex between soldiers on the Kandahar air base in Afghanistan -- where 2,300 Canadian troops are deployed -- is strictly forbidden and could result in disciplinary action.

But the military supplies soldiers with condoms there, too. It cannot say whether any are being used illicitly on the base, or whether they're all being used during authorized leaves of absence.

"I can't comment on what the usage might be,'' Anderson said. "Our (role) isn't to be judgmental. It's to keep people safe.

"If two soldiers decide to break the rules, that's their decision. But if they're going to break the rules I would rather they do it safely, rather than compound the administrative problem with a medical problem.''

Journalists in Afghanistan have heard from soldiers about on-base sexual relationships and have seen other evidence.

Soldiers often used visual cues on bases meant to indicate "Do not disturb.''

At the now-closed Camp Julien base, a white T-shirt draped on the back of a light armoured vehicle was a signal not to disturb the lovemaking inside.

Journalists returning from Canada's new base in Kandahar say there's less visual evidence to suggest the practice has continued there.

"We have a non-fraternization policy on international missions,'' said Lt.-Col. Rita Lepage.

"(It applies to) interpreters who are in our employ, journalists who are embedded. It's a non-fraternization policy that's very extensive.''

I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
They use the condoms to cover the riffle heads, in Afghanistan there is always a sand storm and condoms prevent the riffles from seizing.

simple, I dont know why they have to do a freaking report on stuff like this. Freaking reporters are always trying to get s*** started.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

mo_focus,Jun 12 2006, 07:59 AM Wrote:They use the condoms to cover the riffle heads, in Afghanistan there is always a sand storm and condoms prevent the riffles from seizing.

simple, I dont know why they have to do a freaking report on stuff like this. Freaking reporters are always trying to get s*** started.
[right][snapback]192647[/snapback][/right]

There jealous that the only action there getting is from reading about the CF's sexual supply list and invoice.

But we can't be mad at the soldiers, at least we know they won't kill anyone due to frustration.
Car Run Down for past 5 years:

Make / Model / Year / Status

Ford / Focus Sedan / 01 / STOLEN/WROTE OFF
Pontiac / Grand AM SE / 98 / STOLEN/Location still unknown
Dodge / SX 2.0 Sport / 04 / DRIVEWAY (lowjacked equip)

I HATE THIEVING PUNKS!!!!
(can the car gods make it three cars in a row to be stolen?)
I was there on ROTO 1 ( Jan-Jul '04) and you can easily determine the "couples" who are getting the use out of the condoms :lol: But I don't recall anyone getting charged <_< .
Strive for that moment when you're only a slice of pizza and a hooker away from paradise.