Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pm, Press Gallery Draw Battle Lines On The Hill
PM, press gallery draw battle lines on the Hill
Phil Hahn, CTV.ca News Staff

Whether you call him a control freak leery of the press, or a leader unafraid of standing up to a pack of rabid national media hounds -- Prime Minister Stephen Harper says he really doesn't care. And, he adds, neither do "normal" people outside of that exclusive Ottawa club, the Parliamentary Press Gallery.

Bad vibes have been felt between the press gallery and Harper since his time as opposition leader. The latest row was sparked earlier in the week when angry members of the national media walked out on Harper, who in turn accused reporters of being biased toward the Liberals.

"The Press Gallery at the leadership level has taken an anti-Conservative view," he said Wednesday in an interview on A-Channel TV in London, Ont.

He added: "I have trouble believing a Liberal prime minister would have this problem."

The List

At a typical news conference at the national press theatre, reporters line up behind a microphone to lob questions at the prime minister. The list of reporters is usually compiled by the press gallery chairman.

But what Harper wants is for reporters to submit their names to his deputy press officer (Dimitri Soudas), who would then call upon questioners from his own list.

The press gallery fears this gives the prime minister the power to pick favourites and block out media organizations he doesn't like.

"They want to choose who is going to ask a question, and we can't accept that," Yves Malo, interim president of the Canadian Parliamentary Press Gallery and a reporter with Quebec's TVA network, said on CTV's Mike Duffy Life.

"It can't be the Prime Minister's Office who chooses who is going to ask the questions. Because when there's a crisis, he's going to want journalists who softball questions -- and the tougher questions will never come."

Reporters also claim the prime minister's staff has been skipping names on the list during a handful of press conferences held in the new format after the election.

Their frustration with the new ground rules spilled over Tuesday during a news conference. After they were told Harper would read a statement but would not take questions, about two dozen of them walked out of the room -- leaving Harper with only a handful of reporters to speak to about his aid plan for Darfur.

The prime minister's anger boiled over. The following day, he vowed to disregard the Ottawa press corps and take his message to local media reporters.

"We'll just get the message out on the road. There's lots of media in the country who do want to ask me questions and hear what the government is doing," the prime minister said.

Left-leaning bias?

Whether you subscribe to old right-wing suspicions of a left-wing bias in the media, Malo contends the press gallery is neither anti- nor pro-Conservative. "We are only journalists that want to do our job correctly," he told CTV's Roger Smith.

CTV's senior political correspondent Craig Oliver said there are probably reporters on the Hill who are privately small-l liberals, but he believes Harper overreacted by suggesting there's a Liberal cabal within the press gallery that's out to get him.

"There are very, very few (members), if you can find any, who are out-and-out partisans. And there are a lot of people in the gallery nowadays who are secretly small 'c' conservatives, or who would like to see (Harper) do well," Oliver said on Mike Duffy Live.

"But dealing with the National Press Gallery, this goes with the territory," he added. "Any prime minister has to learn how to do that -- or don't take the job."

If a bias does exist, says Allan Levine, a political historian and writer in Winnipeg, it doesn't have a particular political bent. "It's a bias towards power," he told CTV.ca. "It's also about how the media portrays their role. In a sense, the media are critics, but sometimes there's a distinction to be made between criticism and fairness."

And there have been plenty of cries of foul coming from Conservatives and non-Conservatives about cheap shots taken at the prime minister during photo-ops and various events before and after the election.

"I don't think that Harper's coverage has gotten more negative, or nasty, or more critical in the last couple of weeks, even though we're caught in this little spat with him," Maclean's magazine political columnist Paul Wells said on Mike Duffy Live.

"Although I do think this is payback time for the couple of weeks after he got elected -- when we had a lot of fun, in a lot of publications, making fun of his gut, the vest he wore to Mexico, the way he shook his son's hand when he dropped him off at school. We spent three months going hardy har har -- and I have a hunch that this is payback time."

Tradition of acrimony

Whether his motivation is revenge, or finding a new way to control and deliver his message, Harper believes this public spat is just "inside Ottawa stuff" that is, quite frankly, boring to the average Canadian.

He defended his new system for Hill reporters, saying, "I don't ask to control the editorial policies of newspapers, but we do set up our own press conferences," adding, "I think history would indicate that we're very open to anyone who wants to ask a question."

History also shows both Liberal and Conservative prime ministers share in common acrimonious dealings with the press.

Levine points to Brian Mulroney, Pierre Trudeau, Joe Clark and John Turner -- who received "terrible press coverage, probably the worst of any prime minister" -- as prime examples. Not to mention Paul Martin and his Liberals, who many say received much harsher press treatment during the last election than Harper's Tories.

"Certainly there's precedence to be had for (Harper) to not want to give into the media," said Levine, who wrote the 1993 book Scrum Wars: The Prime Ministers and the Media.

"A prime minister who goes along with whatever the press wants, in the end, historically, does not win. And that has been the case for a lot of people."

Levine backs up Harper's assertion that the press gallery has become the Opposition -- and he adds that the media has, in fact, seen itself in that light since about 1957, when John Diefenbaker was prime minister and when the press started to become "less partisan."

"They have been the unofficial opposition since about 1957 and they have seen themselves that way. And that's why, I think, if you examine the historical record, I don't think any prime minister thinks they can really control the media. They also can't be friends with the media entirely, and in the end, the media will turn on them."

But even when embattled PMs and party leaders were suffering from historic lows in public opinion polls, they still faced the Parliamentary Press Gallery.

"We operated in accordance with established rules that have been in place for pretty much a generation. We respected those rules," Scott Reid, Martin's former director of communications, told CTV. "There was a tradition in place, we felt that it worked reasonably effectively, and we didn't need to start throwing rocks through that window. We had other issues."

Strategy

With recent polls showing Harper's public support at more than 40 per cent -- putting him on track to winning a majority -- many are wondering why the back-and-forth bitterness? Harper received mostly positive headlines for his inaugural budget, his new Accountability Act and his cultural deal with Quebec.

But he was also lambasted shortly after the election for recruiting ex-Liberal David Emerson, and the unelected Michael Fortier, to his cabinet. Recently, the Tories received poor coverage when they barred journalists from covering repatriation ceremonies for soldiers killed in Afghanistan.

Levine says Harper, who's on the road toward attempting to win a majority, likely feels that the press gallery is trying to control him too much. But he says if Harper stays on an anti-press gallery track, he could run into problems when he needs the media during the next election.

"I guarantee you that media access to the prime minister in Ottawa will not be a factor in the next federal election," said Levine.

"But for most Canadians, as long as he seems to be fair, and he's talking to reporters in Vancouver and Newfoundland, I don't think people will make any distinction (between local and national media)."

For now, politicos says the danger lies in the fact that this dispute over control has gotten out of hand, and that both sides look bad.

And in the end, the success of the strategies will be determined by the public, said Barry McLoughlin, president of McLoughlin Media in Ottawa.

"The public is going to make a judgment over time, with regard to what they think of the prime minister, what they think of his character, what they think of his agenda, his performance. And you have to say that so far, regardless of this kind of back and forth conflict, that he appears to be successful in getting his message across," McLoughlin told CTV.

"I believe that he, and his government, believes that by sticking to what they promised the Canadian public, in a time of great cynicism about politics as usual, that if they can accomplish what they promise the voter to do, that they will be rewarded with a majority government. So I think, in the end, that's what he's banking on."

With a report from CTV's Roger Smith in Ottawa

I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Harper's a whiny bitch who doesn't have the legislation to control the media like his buddy GWB does... ergo he bitches.

I can't wait till that stooge loses the next election.

I already know the perfect tagline... "How many more Canadian soldiers need to die cleaning up American messes?"
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
The press reporting stories about the press-how cute! Someone tell Alanis Morrisette that THIS is ironic!
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 9 2006, 06:28 PM Wrote:Harper's a whiny bitch who doesn't have the legislation to control the media like his buddy GWB does... ergo he bitches.

I already know the perfect tagline... "How many more Canadian soldiers need to die cleaning up American messes?"
[right][snapback]192351[/snapback][/right]
what????????????????

it was the fiberals that sent our troops there in the first place.

might wanna rethinking him losing the next election. his popularity is up since the election.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Funny thing is for all the press moaning about how Harproni is "muzzling" them the public is in agreement :lol:

The press gallery thinks too much of itself methinks and had they been smarter about this, they could have gotten public opinion on their side. As it is they look like 6 year olds tattling on their little brother...

NefCanuck
meford4u,Jun 9 2006, 10:44 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 9 2006, 06:28 PM Wrote:Harper's a whiny bitch who doesn't have the legislation to control the media like his buddy GWB does... ergo he bitches.

[right][snapback]192351[/snapback][/right]
what????????????????

it was the fiberals that sent our troops there in the first place.

might wanna rethinking him losing the next election. his popularity is up since the election.
[right][snapback]192434[/snapback][/right]

But only since Harper got elected have we been on the offensive in Afghanistan. I approve of peacekeeping missions. I disapprove of making us members of the US Armed Forces by proxy.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 10 2006, 11:20 AM Wrote:But only since Harper got elected have we been on the offensive in Afghanistan. I approve of peacekeeping missions. I disapprove of making us members of the US Armed Forces by proxy.
[right][snapback]192480[/snapback][/right]

There's more to peace keeping than taking IEDs in the ass. What we're doing in afghanistan is good work... we're doing what we should be doing there, and I don't think it's anything akin to being US Armed Forces by proxy.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

^^ What we're doing is hunting down the Taliban for Bush... nothing more, nothing less. As Harper accelerates our involvement in things we're really not meant for, we'll see more of these concentrated terrorist movements within Canada. They won't all be bungling buffoons.

We were always peacekeepers. We're not peacekeepers anymore. We're approaching the level of pre-emptive warfare, made infamous by GWB himself. If he wants to tank the US economy by traipsing all over the globe, hunting "terrorists"... fine, let him do that. Let's not follow him blindly and resign ourselves to the same fate.

There's nothing "un-Canadian" about asking what our current involvement is in Afghanistan, and about what missions we've undertaken that might have stepped over the "peacekeeping" line.

Once we're patrolling daily, swarming houses and interrogating people that simply have nowhere else to be... we're just re-inventing Iraq's situation in that corner of the globe. There's an installed government that was supposedly "elected" into power, there's a run of insurgents (called the Taliban) and there's the "coalition" forces. When the coalition starts interrogating and actively hunting down the insurgents at the expense of the liberties and safety of the locals... that's not peacekeeping... that's Iraq's current situation.

darkpuppet,Jun 13 2006, 11:40 AM Wrote:What we're doing in afghanistan is good work...
[right][snapback]192780[/snapback][/right]

VERY good work, we should all be very proud of the work and success the Canadian military has had over there.

And NOS, its much more than hunting down the Taliban. Your not there, you have no clue what these guys are doing, so I suggest to keep the "Canada is USA 's bitch" talk down lo. I know a few of my freinds would be steaming mad if they read what you wrote.

They aint there to clean up GW's mess, they're theyre to give Afganis peace and the same quality of life we have.

If they thought they were cleaning up GW's mess, they wouldnt be volunteering for a 2nd tour. ;)
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Jun 13 2006, 01:55 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Jun 13 2006, 11:40 AM Wrote:What we're doing in afghanistan is good work...

VERY good work, we should all be very proud of the work and success the Canadian military has had over there.

And NOS, its much more than hunting down the Taliban. Your not there, you have no clue what these guys are doing, so I suggest to keep the "Canada is USA 's bitch" talk down lo. I know a few of my freinds would be steaming mad if they read what you wrote.

They aint there to clean up GW's mess, they're theyre to give Afganis peace and the same quality of life we have.

If they thought they were cleaning up GW's mess, they wouldnt be volunteering for a 2nd tour. ;)
[right][snapback]192791[/snapback][/right]

amen brotha.

I think I've earned a lot more respect for Harper with the way he stands up for the mission in afghanistan. The unfortunate part is that some people won't separate his bush pandering from the good work he actually does.

Flofocus,Jun 13 2006, 01:55 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]192791[/snapback][/right]

You can suggest all you like, but I have yet after almost 5 years to read the headlines "Afghanis have peace, peacekeepers come home" in the newspapers.

Make no mistake, I support our troops. They deserve real equipment, real training and real leadership. What they don't deserve is to be spread too thin, to be over-run and to be put in a situation where they might not come home... and by that I mean a situation where they're actually battling the majority of the populace, not a few ragtag asshat terrorists.

The fact they're volunteering for second tours is commendable, but I really hope they achieve the last effect that they envision in their minds. Sadly, I don't see it happening. It's a very lawless world over there, and when the time comes that all the soldiers go home... it's an instant vacuum. Either another developed country will have to send their army, the UN gets involved (which brings us back anyways), or there's a mass exodus as all the decent Afghanis storm out of the country and immigrate to whatever nation will take them. By and large, that'll be a few countries in the EU, the US and Canada.

By being there, we're delaying the inevitable. Is that what you want your buddies doing? Being out on an extended tour and then back out again because they hope it'll work out? Or back at home, ready to deal with the next real threat.

It's commendable to want to give them a better life, but what about the others there that don't want their countrymen to have a better life? What about the ones that abhor a democracy? They aren't going away because we ask them to. Besides, all "intelligence" reports indicate Bin Laden's in Afghanistan and noone has found him.

Iran will be the next flashpoint the way the US keeps going. And if Iran is provoked, it'lll be a war that makes Iraq look like a police action. And when we're really needed to help keep Iran in check... we'll have nothing left to give, because we ran ourselves out in Afghanistan, chasing ghosts.

Oh, and I almost forgot. Harper isn't s***. He rolled over on the softwood dispute, in a move that made even US analysts shake their heads. We gave the US softwood lobby groups 2 Billion dollars to go after us with even when all signs said that we had been unfairly treated and we were about to get ALL the softwood tariffs back. Way to go Harper. I'm sure it was worth $2 Billion dollars of our softwood industry's own revenue to go stand on a Mexican pyramid with Bush and Vincente Fox. :rolleyes:

You'll never see an assertive Canadian economic policy that benefits Canadians so long as Harper panders to Bush. Even Mulroney stood his ground and helped pen NAFTA. Harper's a lieutenant, nothing more.

NOS2Go4Me,Jun 13 2006, 02:42 PM Wrote:You can suggest all you like, but I have yet after almost 5 years to read the headlines "Afghanis have peace, peacekeepers come home" in the newspapers.

You don't see that headline for Serbia, Africa, and many other missions Canada is on either. If the whole world was so peaceful, there wouldn't be a need for peacekeeping missions.

Quote:Make no mistake, I support our troops. They deserve real equipment, real training and real leadership. What they don't deserve is to be spread too thin, to be over-run and to be put in a situation where they might not come home... and by that I mean a situation where they're actually battling the majority of the populace, not a few ragtag asshat terrorists.

The fact they're volunteering for second tours is commendable, but I really hope they achieve the last effect that they envision in their minds. Sadly, I don't see it happening. It's a very lawless world over there, and when the time comes that all the soldiers go home... it's an instant vacuum. Either another developed country will have to send their army, the UN gets involved (which brings us back anyways), or there's a mass exodus as all the decent Afghanis storm out of the country and immigrate to whatever nation will take them. By and large, that'll be a few countries in the EU, the US and Canada.

By being there, we're delaying the inevitable. Is that what you want your buddies doing? Being out on an extended tour and then back out again because they hope it'll work out? Or back at home, ready to deal with the next real threat.

It's commendable to want to give them a better life, but what about the others there that don't want their countrymen to have a better life? What about the ones that abhor a democracy? They aren't going away because we ask them to. Besides, all "intelligence" reports indicate Bin Laden's in Afghanistan and noone has found him.

Iran will be the next flashpoint the way the US keeps going. And if Iran is provoked, it'lll be a war that makes Iraq look like a police action. And when we're really needed to help keep Iran in check... we'll have nothing left to give, because we ran ourselves out in Afghanistan, chasing ghosts.
[right][snapback]192797[/snapback][/right]

You're talking like afghanistan is like iraq. That the majority of people there are terrorists, but they're not. We booted the taliban out, and we're working on keeping them out to help establish stability.

Like any peace keeping mission, your job is to stay until the area is stable, you don't just boot out a ruling power and leave... that didn't happen in serbia, it's not going to happen in afghanistan.

And where did you hear that we're battling the majority of the population in afghanistan? I don't recall hearing that the whole country is fighting us.

Things may never be perfect in afghanistan, but at least our efforts are focused on the region that gave us the terrorists that actually did the deed, not hosting a false war in another country.

I think our focus on the mission is a lot more appropriate than you're giving it credit for.

NOS2Go4Me,Jun 13 2006, 02:42 PM Wrote:You can suggest all you like, but I have yet after almost 5 years to read the headlines "Afghanis have peace, peacekeepers come home" in the newspapers.
[right][snapback]192797[/snapback][/right]
To put things in perspective, Canadian troops have been part of the UN peacekeeping force in Cyprus since 1964 and have sustained 27 deaths in that time period.

To this day the Turkish and the Greek Cypriots have moved no further than a ceasefire which is regularly broken. And although the prospects for peace haven't changed much in decades, there is slow movement in that direction and so the UN forces continue to be of great value there.

Cyprus and Afghanistan are obviously different - but the timelines for peace can be very long indeed - multi-generational even, and if we as Canadians are to help sustain the UN as a viable instrument of lawful international relations, we must continue to support UN missions - even if the role of "peacekeeper" is re-defined to include actively hunting groups like the Taliban.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
ZTWsquared,Jun 13 2006, 03:05 PM Wrote:but the timelines for peace can be very long indeed - multi-generational even....
[right][snapback]192804[/snapback][/right]

Word. Especially in places like afghanistan where theyve been so used to war and criminial behaviour......for Generations
So, we need to throw away generations of our own soldiers because the rest of the world takes things too far on a regular basis?

Whatever happened to the finality of a war? As terrible as it was, when WWII was over, it was over. These days, politics and religion prolong conflicts long beyond what is necessary to resolve the dispute. We're just eating it up and treating it as the way things are, instead of the way they ought to be.

Why should kids grow up here without their parents? I have friends in the Canadian Armed Forces too... and that includes one guy who just had his son a little over a year ago now. Anyone want to place a bet that that child will stand a more than decent chance of missing out on years of quality time with his father? You're asking kids here to accept war and its by-products in an age where nothing appears to be dealt with in concrete terms. That's not right.

"When's Daddy coming home - when the war is over?"

"Whenever that is..."

We're saving the world, but sacrificing our own families and societies. Generally those we protect are grateful, but the price paid is still an awful one.

That's what I'm saying here. Don't just assume that the cause is just because "innocents" can't defend themselves. They deemed the Taliban evil about 20 years after installing them once Russia was kicked out of Afghanistan.

Afghanistan isn't much more than Somalia with its patchwork of fifedoms and warlords. Look where Somalia is right now... an impasse as far as the involvement of UN troops because there's no government that the UN recognizes nor supports. Afghanistan is one shell away from exactly that scenario.

We deserve to ask questions and question our current role. Otherwise, it becomes a daily monotony of war --> fighting --> send in peacekeepers because the natives can't defend themselves / government is corrupt / government is missing in action / terrorists run the nation.

Ultimately, as governments and multi-national forces are unwilling to deal with unruly and violent societies in definite terms, civilized and democratic societies will become nothing more than "feeder cultures". They'll be a farming ground of able-bodied citizens who live for nothing more than bringing law to the lawless in areas where the law might never take hold.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/africa/06/09...y.ap/index.html

"It means death. It means defending Sudan and Islam," Jalaladin said.

"The root causes of the Darfur conflict are the doing of the Jewish organizations who financed this armed rebellion," he claimed. "We don't want the Security Council to be an instrument of the ugly undertakings of the United States of America."

That pretty much sums up religion as a tool for warfare right there. How do you end a war when an entire country is being rallied against you for untrue reasons? It becomes near impossible.

My father was gone for most of my childhood. I turned out just fine.

I'm very proud of him and what he did overseas and here. I learned a lot about people, places and lot about myself because my father was in the military. And yeah, I remeber asking my mother when my dad would be coming home, half the time my mom lied to us and said he was in alert when he was really in lebanon, kuwait or cairo, etc....

I rember going to the Sinai desert to visit my dad there....that made me realise why we were theyre. I always understood why he went away, but when I saw it with my own eyes....the criminal behaviour...the treatment of woman..the scummy s*** hole 'homes' that CHILDREN had to live in.....it just made me appreciate him and the whole CF's that much more.

Canadians are making a HUGE difference over there. It's really to bad the media focuses on the bad, and not the good stories I hear from my buddies. I know its hard because we dont see the immediate results, but our forces are making a huge impact in the afghanis lives. A lot more than US soldiers are doing for the Iraquis.
wow this went off topic rather quickly lol....
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.