Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Cup 2006 Kicks Off In Munich, Germany
World Cup 2006 kicks off in Munich, Germany
Updated Fri. Jun. 9 2006 12:07 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

The World Cup of soccer, the globe's most-watched sporting spectacle, kicked off in Germany today amid tight security and massive crowds that have descended for the event.

The first match of the tournament pits the host country Germany against Costa Rica -- a match German fans are desperate for their team to win.

The World Cup's return to Munich comes nearly 32 years after West Germany won the 10th World Cup in the same city.

Thousands of people have arrived in Munich for the start of the tournament, cramming into countless beer tents along the city's so-called "Party Mile" to watch the games on giant screens.

Kegs were stacked in ranks on pallets along the street in preparation for legions of thirsty fans, and 35,000 people were expected to visit the city's Olympic Park.

Germans, hosting their first major international sporting event since East and West Germany were reunified, were anxious to start the tournament by marking a win on the scoreboard.

However, the team is expected to take to the field minus its captain and star midfielder Michael Ballack, and fans are nervous about what his absence might mean for the team.

Ballack has made himself available to play despite a calf strain, but is expected to be sidelined.

"I hope we don't lose to Costa Rica," Steffen Koblitz, 39, told The Associated Press.

"I hope they make it to the final, but the semifinal is about as far as I think they'll get."

Ballack's absence is a crushing blow to Germany. The 29-year-old is considered to be the team's one true world-class star.

Vic Rauter, TSN's soccer analyst, said many Canadians -- who are just now hopping on the football bandwagon -- don't understand the true scale of the event.

"It's second probably only to the summer games in terms of how big it is," he told CTV's Canada AM.

"One-hundred-and-ninety-seven countries start this two-year process, including the Canadians, within five geographic areas of the world. You whittle it down, whittle it down, whittle it down, until you get to 31, plus the host which is Germany."

Just getting to the tournament is a massive accomplishment, and in order to win "the stars really have to align," he said.

"You have to avoid injuries. Maybe a ball goes off the post, maybe somebody scores, maybe somebody plays so defensively, as the Greeks did two years ago at the European Championship, shutting down people.

There is one clear favourite, however.

"If the Brazilians play to their ability, nobody touches them," Rauten said.

Security measures

Meanwhile, police in Munich implemented tight security measures, and were prepared for trouble.

"All kinds will be meeting up, with nothing to separate them," said deputy Munich police chief Jens Viering. "We are counting on it: There will be trouble."

Across the country, security officials were doing everything they could to pull off the event without a hitch.

Security at the Polish border, about an hour from Munich, was also boosted.

One official said the mood in Germany was overwhelmingly positive, despite earlier fears of widespread hooliganism.

Federal police spokesman Jens Schobranski told AP on Thursday that officers were keeping a close eye out for troublemakers, but had nothing significant to report so far.

Michael Gabriel, who runs fan programs aimed at curbing soccer disruptions on Deutschlandfunk public radio, said he wasn't concerned.

"We're relatively unworried, especially when you see how the World Cup has almost opened in Berlin and what euphoria people are bringing onto the streets," Gabriel said.

"This mood is really the best prevention against violence."

The event is expected to jolt the German economy after several slow years.

The 64-match tournament is expected to pull in one million visitors, who are expected to spend $1 billion Euros -- contributing 0.2 percentage points to the 1.8 per cent of growth that is expected to occur this year.

The German government, headed by Angela Merkel, the nation's first female chancellor, is enjoying consistently high approval ratings after six months in office.

Germany capable of "top-class performances."

Merkel said the World Cup presents a unique opportunity for Germany to prove itself on the world stage.

"We all want to show that Germany is capable of top-class performances -- and not just in soccer stadiums," Merkel told AP.

"We are looking forward to guests from every corner of the Earth and we want to celebrate a great festival with them, peacefully and joyfully."

With thousands of international journalists visiting for the tournament, however, there are fears any isolated incidents of violence or racism will receive extensive coverage around the world.

Recently, a Turkish-born Berlin state legislator suffered a concussion after an attack by two men shouted anti-Turkish.

In addition to concerns about attacks on foreigners and minorities, there have also been worries about the availability of tickets.

Government officials have warned those who promote violence will face swift justice.

Oh BTW, Germany Won the First Match 4 - 2, and Poland is the forcasted to win later today.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Skeet Skeet Skeet!
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
I've got brazil in my pool at work, so i'm a brazil fan for the next month.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

forza italia!!!!!
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
I have Brazil & Portugal at the top of my lists to win as I'm dating someone who is Brazilian, and my brother-in-law is Portugese
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Yeah...

I've got a message for all those portugal fans...

When they lose... DONT CHEER FOR BRAZIL...
05 Altima SE-R
scoobasteve,Jun 9 2006, 04:16 PM Wrote:Yeah...

I've got a message for all those portugal fans...

When they lose... DONT CHEER FOR BRAZIL...
[right][snapback]192175[/snapback][/right]

LMAO..... so true :lol:
For now... I'll be cheering for Iran or Ivory Coast!... the new senegal!
05 Altima SE-R
scoobasteve,Jun 9 2006, 04:44 PM Wrote:For now... I'll be cheering for Iran or Ivory Coast!... the new senegal!
[right][snapback]192203[/snapback][/right]
sure cheer for the "rich" countries
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs

Novelty flag sales are a good money maker this time of year.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Focus man, Focus.,Jun 9 2006, 05:39 PM Wrote:Novelty flag sales are a good money maker this time of year.
[right][snapback]192219[/snapback][/right]

Being the prick i am, i'm gonna go find the biggest canadian flag i can and drive around with it on my car. I'll be cool like all the europeans with their flags and overloaded civics.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

Ding ding ding...

oh man, i drove through woodbridge last night... there were crazy italians with flags the size of their car honking and flashing their lights.
05 Altima SE-R
I have a Canadian flag rolled up in my trunk just for this time of year. I drive around honking my horn waving my flag.

I don't want to feel left out.

Focus man, Focus.,Jun 9 2006, 05:49 PM Wrote:I have a Canadian flag rolled up in my trunk just for this time of year.  I drive around honking my horn waving my flag. 

I don't want to feel left out.
[right][snapback]192236[/snapback][/right]

I love it.

One day canada will take its place amongst the great soccer nations of the world :ph34r:
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Go

Yeah, roits and sensless violence is just what we need.

I want croatia to play serbia...

that would be a good match :ph34r:
05 Altima SE-R
scoobasteve,Jun 9 2006, 05:56 PM Wrote:I want croatia to play serbia...

that would be a good match :ph34r:
[right][snapback]192255[/snapback][/right]

Thats just asking for trouble.

I hope they get to play each other. Please soccer gods let it be.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Go

I'm actually going for croatia... but they're going to have a tough time being in the group of death and all...

scoobasteve is only going for croatia because jamaica isnt in the cup
05 Altima SE-R
Portugal and Angola will be a good match to watch

Angola is been under portugal for years and they hate porkchops. the last couple od matches they played, Angolias didnt have enough players bc of al the red cards they got. So watch for that.

As for the Fav this time, it would be Germany. They have been waiting for this for the last 8yrs so i dont think they have an excuse.

Final match, Brazil against Germany.

As for Iran, i'm from Iran and I do cheer for them. But i think they have better chances with their Nuclear plans rather then their soccer :)

Let the good times begin.
Cheers
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

I took the afternoon off and watched the Germany / Costa Rica match. Less laziness on the Germans' part would have equalled a 6-2 score. I so love watching the World Cup on the projector!!!!! :D

This is the time, every 4 years, when I embrace my 1/4 German side and ignore the English / Irish / Norwegian sides :D

Germany ftw!
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2006 World Cup Highlights Frost__2001 5 1,667 06-14-2006, 11:45 PM
Last Post: ANTHONYD