Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question About Hdtv Broadcasts
I recently bought an HDTV and I'm curious as to how a high definition broadcast would work. I'm watching the soccer game and apparently its being broadcast in high def but the picture on my tv doesn't seem different at all from other channels. When a station says that it is broadcasting in HD, does this mean that all of their viewers with hdtv's will benefit or do you have to subscribe to an hdtv service to actually see it in that format?

P.S. Watching the game on sportsnet.
I think generally you have to subscribe to the HDTV channels to get the better picture. A network saying that its being broadcast in HDTV is just basically free advertising for their HDTV package.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

couple of things to consider
1- if you have the 3 HD wires, all the channels would show a better picture quality.
2- you want to be able to see the difference, then on the back of the reciver connect the regular antena and hook it up to the tv, that way you will be able to compare the regular tv to HDTV channels.

Not sure if you have bell or rogers, but to me it a waste of money to have HDTV reciver at the moment. Currently rogers charges you 3.99 for digital reciver and 12.99 for HDTV reciver. you will only get 2 or 3 channels that are on HDTV that you dont have to pay. the rest cost about 5 to 7 per channel. So to me that is not really worth it. But as for soccer goes they are showing 1/2 of the games on TSN and the other 1/2 are on sportsnet, both HD. TSN u have to pay for, but sportsnet is free

My parents are running HDTV and they just got a 56" DLP. the picture is amazing. but i still dont think its worth the extra money.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

Cool. Thanks guys. I got 6 months of free rogers hdtv with the purchase of my tv but haven't activated it yet. Gonna give it a shot but chances are after the 6 month period, that'll be all for the HDTV.
Warning! Once you see the picture quality of HDTV, you'll be hooked. It is sooo much better than SDTV. When you rent/own a Rogers HD terminal, you get 16 HD channels at no extra charge (hard to believe with Rogers, but it's true). For an additional 5.95 a month you get 7 more channels of HD content. All the U.S. major network shows (CSI, Law and Order, ...) are in HD. The only disappointment for me is that HNIC is not always in HD, but I think it's just a matter of time.

What I did was take the free HD box from Rogers for 12 months, and then returned it and bought my own when the 12 months was up. At the 12.95 per month rate they charge, it only takes a couple of years before it starts to pay off.

--------------
P.S. What does it take to stop being a lurker on this board?
Old Ride: 2001 Malibu Blue MTX Street Edition Wagon
New Ride: 2010 Mocha Brown MT 2.0T Passat Wagon
What imack had said, with a few clarifications;

If either the channel, the tv, or the broadcast is in SD< you'll be getting SD content only.

imack is essentially correct in what he says, and there are some very good discounts available for people who purchase HD DSTB (terminals)

To answer your question imack, 100 posts or more ;)
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Frost__2001,Jun 9 2006, 05:28 PM Wrote:To answer your question imack, 100 posts or more ;)
[right][snapback]192349[/snapback][/right]

OK. Based on my post rate to date, in another 3 years I'm in... :D
Well then just give this a try. This will get you a ton of posts in no time.

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.p...opic=17293
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Yup the Rogers HD box is what you need...
There is a good forum filled with all kinds of information on this over at http://www.digitalhomecanada.com. Look for me on there as one of the Technical Experts.
My other ride is your Mom
I have the Rogers HD Reciever and have had it for over a year now - We watch every thing in HD - If I did not need the SDTV channels to get all the other channels I have I would get rid of SDTV altogether.

I LOVE HDTV - Night & Day - Black & White ... no comparision between that and SDTV
I just wish Cogeco would get on the stick and offer more HDTV offerings.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Strange .....our Cogeco offers the same selection of HDTV channels as Rogers.
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
I think HDTV is still off by a few years for me. I can't justify paying that much extra for something while it's still in it's "fad" mode. I will bite the bullet once there are a lot more offerings in HD to make it worth the cost since I don't sit home all night and watch TV.
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
D-Dub,Jun 10 2006, 10: Wrote:Strange .....our Cogeco offers the same selection of HDTV channels as Rogers.
[right][snapback]192524[/snapback][/right]

PM me your postal code so I can compare channel listings on Cogeco.ca?

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
nass,Jun 11 2006, 10:36 AM Wrote:I think HDTV is still off by a few years for me. I can't justify paying that much extra for something while it's still in it's "fad" mode. I will bite the bullet once there are a lot more offerings in HD to make it worth the cost since I don't sit home all night and watch TV.
[right][snapback]192537[/snapback][/right]

Most of the HD channels are free with basic cable and an HD Box [all the Canadian and Buffalo terrestrial channels (NBC, FOX, CBS, ABC, and PBS) & Rogers Sportsnet]. Also, its not really a FAD, HDTV is here to stay, but since the majority of television customers are still on Analog signals, dont think of HD as a replacement to analog cable tv just yet, but more of a compliment to existing cable tv services.. It will be years before analog cable is fazed out. As HDTV viewership increases, so does the offerings in HD will continue to increase.. so lets hope more people jump on the hd bandwagon soon.
My other ride is your Mom
When they lower the cost of the damn box (600.00 no PVR, 800 with PVR), more people will adopt it.

NOS2Go4Me,Jun 12 2006, 07:13 AM Wrote:When they lower the cost of the damn box (600.00 no PVR, 800 with PVR), more people will adopt it.
[right][snapback]192641[/snapback][/right]

Is that Cogeco pricing? :blink: Rogers has a promotion through Future Shop, an HDTV box *&* an SDTV box for $249 (No PVR though)

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jun 12 2006, 01:07 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 12 2006, 07:13 AM Wrote:When they lower the cost of the damn box (600.00 no PVR, 800 with PVR), more people will adopt it.
[right][snapback]192641[/snapback][/right]

Is that Cogeco pricing? :blink: Rogers has a promotion through Future Shop, an HDTV box *&* an SDTV box for $249 (No PVR though)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]192681[/snapback][/right]

I would never buy or rent the Rogers HD PVR, just on principle. If you have the HD PVR, they charge you an additional 2.99 per month, for privilege of recording shows to your own hard drive. Outrageous. :angry: I'll wait until someone comes out with an HD-capable DVD/HDD recorder.
I've got a DVD recorder... but I'd need to buy/rent the standard HDTV box anyways, and then there's no component-in that I can recall seeing on the back of the box. It's been months... maybe I'm mistaken.

s***'s gotta change before I go HDTV tho... I'll survive with "just" digital cable for now.