Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Difference Between Focus And Sunfire
So I put an add in the paper for the focus bc i wanted to sell the car, No one called. NOT even one f***ing phone call. asking price wasnt much either. Anyways

I got the sunfire and i didnt like it that much so i put it for sale and it got sold in the first day of the ad.!!!

So the questions is why do ppl hate ford focus so much that i dont even get one phone call for it.

Personally I would have a focus any day over a sunfire, but I guess regular people don't see it that way :(

Next Toy, Jetta GT 97, red, stick, AC. Atleast its better then the sunfire :)
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

anything is better than a sunfire.
'03 Focus SVT
FocusGuy7476,Jun 4 2006, 02:22 AM Wrote:anything is better than a sunfire.
[right][snapback]191159[/snapback][/right]

Sunfire is the worst car I'd ever test drove
Yeh, sunfire really is a piece of s*** car!!

Ideal for a rental car or shuttle-type vehicle when you drop off your normal car!!

Sunfires are ugly, slow, cheap, and small!

I really dislike all those sunfires, cavaliers, z24. they look like junk to me. the seats look rock hard.
I'd rather drive a station wagon than any of those.

oh wait I do....
ok you guys are totally missing the point here

as much as everyone on this site HATES sunfires(including myself) they will sell lot faster then the focus. That was my original point!!!!

there is something about a focus that ppl hate or are scared of them bc of all the bad publicity.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold

I wondering the same. Cavaliers and Sunfires are easier to sell for some reason.
what year, how many km's and how much were you asking for each.

I think the sunfire is a car more people are familiar with and there for will purchase.

I've been in plenty of sunfires and I get a mixed reaction from them. They do give off a cheap feeling but then again it is a basic rental/first car so you can't expect much.

Bunny if you think they are slow, I would be willing to bet that they are still quicker than our cars, the GT version for sure.
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
Maybe its because the sunfire and crapalier name has been arround for more than a decade that it may have some kind of appeal to it.. I dont know but not many people know the focus has been arround for that long, cus even the new focus is basically an old focus with a re-freshed facelift. I also feel the focus isnt getting the recognition than it deserves. A lot of people have drove a crapalier/sunfire atleast once int their life, maybe for a loaner or rental car perhaps, but the people who have not driven a focus yet, Most of them change their idea of the focus once they've been in one and driven it.. I know a lot of my friends impression of the Focus HAS changed once they been in mine. Maybe that could be a new catchphraise or marketing campain for ford of canada?
My other ride is your Mom
The Cavalier/Sunbird/Sunfire platform hasn't changed since the early 1980s.

It might be "crap" on some levels, but it still offers relatively cheap performance for the buck. It does the job for the average Joe - gets you to Point A to B; nothing else! Most of the consumer-type shows and stuff never really gave the car good or bad ratings -- it fit the need of BASIC transportation.

Besides mo, your car is part of those "troubled years" (between 2000 and 2001). Most of the bad press happened with those years, including the recalls. The Black Books I have access to usually suggest that had a huge impact on the resale values. Other reviews and ratings from other media sources usually give that impression that only 2002 and afterwards did the Focus get better ratings and better resale values. They seem to blacklist the 2000 and 2001. People may probably take a boring Sunflower that's pretty reliable versus a recall-prone Focus.
Richard | Focused 24-7
2002 ZTS | Sangria Red | +400,000 km - most of it avoiding potholes 100km/h at a time

OFOC - Ontario Focus Owners Club | SVTOA-Toronto | Redline Rendezvous @ Mosport International Raceway
The bad press the Focus gets/got is enough to make these cars not wanted.
its kinda what you expect when a new car is introduced isn't it. i've heard horror stories of sunfires/cavaliers where the complete front end of the vehicle fell out of the car when it went over a set of railway tracks.

there is a mechanic that I know who worked on both GM and Ford products, and he said a Focus is the better made than a GM J-body car. Think thats saying alot.
'03 Focus SVT
FocusGuy7476,Jun 4 2006, 12:07 PM Wrote:its kinda what you expect when a new car is introduced isn't it. i've heard horror stories of sunfires/cavaliers where the complete front end of the vehicle fell out of the car when it went over a set of railway tracks.

there is a mechanic that I know who worked on both GM and Ford products, and he said a Focus is the better made than a GM J-body car. Think thats saying alot.
[right][snapback]191208[/snapback][/right]

I can see that happening, even in car accidents they crumply right up like the vette.
Favorite Links:

Collegemates.ca
FocusCanada.net
Focaljet.com
FocusFanatics.com

"Getting older is mandatory, growing up is optional."
mo_focus,Jun 4 2006, 02:16 AM Wrote:Next Toy, Jetta GT 97, red, stick, AC. Atleast its better then the sunfire :)
[right][snapback]191158[/snapback][/right]

shouldn't a 'toy' be like.. a miata/mr2/s2000 type thing?

j/k just teasing.. you don't have a focus anymore either?
naz,Jun 4 2006, 10:04 PM Wrote:
mo_focus,Jun 4 2006, 02:16 AM Wrote:Next Toy, Jetta GT 97, red, stick, AC. Atleast its better then the sunfire :)
[right][snapback]191158[/snapback][/right]

shouldn't a 'toy' be like.. a miata/mr2/s2000 type thing?

j/k just teasing.. you don't have a focus anymore either?
[right][snapback]191228[/snapback][/right]

the focus is still for sale, but for now i got the Jetta GT, its got something like 12 speakers, dammm this thing sounds sweet and its stock.
--Henry Ford

01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold

The other problem is, AFAIK, the Stunfire & the Crapalier had dirt cheap parts compared to the Focus and a *ton* of parts are interchangeable between the various model years (It's how a friend keeps her families '91 Sunbird running long after it should have been put out to scrap, heavy reliance on 'pick & pull' days at their local scrap yard and lots of donor cars)

As bad as the overall press is on the J bodies they never got roasted the way the early Focus did for its recalls.

NefCanuck
That is what I was told before buying my car though, I was still a bit weary. You always hear about Ford going down, and all the recalls really scare people and tarnish Ford's name. Since buying my car, I have fallen in love with it and always try to convince people that they are good cars.

I think that is why nobody wants the Focus though; everyone wants to go for the Cavalier that has been around forever... :rolleyes:
~~2000 Midnight Blue 5-speed ZX3~~

~*~Evo 3 Body Kit~*~17'' BSA Gunmetal Black rims~*~Cold Air Intake~*~Angel Eye Projector Headlights~*~7'' Yellow Fog Lights~*~Tinted Altezza Tails~*~PINK Underglow~*~

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it.
Well another reason to the caviler and sunfire being more wanted is the fact they are so replaceable, and dispoisble. I have been at a scrap yard when the junk truck brought in 3 cavilers all with-in the same model year and all with the same features, and they put two in the parts yard and sent the other one off to the crusher because they didn't need it.

Realisticly you can right off a sunfire or caviler in an accident and go out the next day and get the same car a year or two newer in the same colour and same features as the one you wrote off, at more or less anywhere they sell cars as used dealerships always seem to have them.

I'm not going to bitch about the Focus Much because it is truely a better car by far, and if Ford didn't cheap it out so much when they bought it out here 2 years after it's international launch, and then botched their marketing campain in the 2nd year the car was on the market, I think alot of people would have a better opinion on the focus if it truely was the world car it was ment to be, and not the stripped version that we have currently.

Ford's CEO's really need to shut up and let things alone when it comes to their brand when they bring them out here.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
The Crapalier, sunfart, sunchicken have been arond for years. The forcus has no where near the time in (the market) as them to make a name for itself. I had a crapalier as a work beater just before I bought my focus and it was easy to keep on the road because maintinance was dirt cheap. Go to the wreckers and get the part and do it yourself or have a buddy do for you. I have a bitch of a time find a dealer to get me parts , and practically no one has the focus in there wrecking yard for me to buy parts.

I also can't remember the last time or if the sunfire ever had a call back for problems before its retirement in 04/05. The Focus though has had a call back for ever year and model there is too offer.

People are afaid of spending a little oney for fixing a car so they get what is the ceapest all around.

It is shear economics. People will buy what is the cheapest for them in the long run.
Car Run Down for past 5 years:

Make / Model / Year / Status

Ford / Focus Sedan / 01 / STOLEN/WROTE OFF
Pontiac / Grand AM SE / 98 / STOLEN/Location still unknown
Dodge / SX 2.0 Sport / 04 / DRIVEWAY (lowjacked equip)

I HATE THIEVING PUNKS!!!!
(can the car gods make it three cars in a row to be stolen?)
PIGEON1,Jun 5 2006, 10:22 AM Wrote:The Crapalier, sunfart, sunchicken have been arond for years. The forcus has no where near the time in (the market) as them to make a name for itself. I had a crapalier as a work beater just before I bought my focus and it was easy to keep on the road because maintinance was dirt cheap. Go to the wreckers and get the part and do it yourself or have a buddy do for you. I have a bitch of a time find a dealer to get me parts , and practically no one has the focus in there wrecking yard for me to buy parts.

I also can't remember the last time or if the sunfire ever had a call back for problems before its retirement in 04/05. The Focus though has had a call back for ever year and model there is too offer.

People are afaid of spending a little oney for fixing a car so they get what is the ceapest all around.

It is shear economics. People will buy what is the cheapest for them in the long run.
[right][snapback]191373[/snapback][/right]

Oh the J bodies had their share of recalls & TSB's don't worry ;) My mom got burned on one TSB regarding the torque converter on her autobox '95 Crapalier b/c the GM garage wouldn't honour it saying that she "drove the car too little" and "contrinuted to the TQ's death" (After only 36,000km/5 years :rolleyes: )

She had the work done at an independant garage for a third of what the GM garage wanted to rape her for it. She's now looking to replace the car before the headgasket dies and takes the motor with it. This is also a TSB item, but again she's way out of the TSB's operating period but two independant garages told her its a matter of when not if the head gasket dies, she's at 11 years/80,000km now.

NefCanuck

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Age Difference Of Focus Owners 01-yellow-ZX3 44 12,815 11-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Last Post: tdot-zx3