Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Laptop Should I Purchase?
She can learn !!!

If you can learn windows Im sure you can learn Mac...right??

I just love ati card cause they are good quality and not to mention the picture is so much better with a ATI card.

Steve doenst know what hes talking about..........hes a coal minner how would he know anything about anything.

:D
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
D-Dub,Jun 2 2006, 03: Wrote:She can learn !!!

If you can learn windows Im sure you can learn Mac...right??

I just love ati card cause they are good quality and not to mention the picture is so much better with a ATI card.

Steve doenst know what hes talking about..........hes a coal minner how would he know anything about anything.

:D
[right][snapback]191033[/snapback][/right]

I can pretty much learn anything, fairly fast!
I'm leaning towards a IBM Thinkpad or the Dell... not sure which Dell though. I'm getting prices tonight at 8pm!
Too Bad Toshiba's aren't on your list...they have a great track record, and they make ones with a P4 that hyperthreads like mine. It's lasted being to afghanistan and other places without quitting on me...

Good luck with your search...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
dont get a dell. I had one and they are garbage. When something goes down on it, everything shuts down. Then the customer service guys dont help you out, they make you send it in for repair so they make big $$$ from it. I will never get another Dell again
Dell is the premiere service offering there is for laptops.

I don't know what anyone else has to say about them (nor does it really matter to me), but this is my experience:

100+ Dell laptops and workstations (35/65% split) on our entire, connected-to-North Bay environment. 3 physical locations - all have happy users.

We break something Dell... we call Dell, they ship the part or send the part the next day with a technician to replace the part. It's that easy. If anyone else didn't take the time to get the right warranty (and that's dirt simple to do when you order), that's not Dell's fault.

We have Dell for everyone, from reception to the CFO and CEO. Nothing has ever happened to their hardware that a Dell tech didn't rectify the next day. Dell stuff is easily serviced even in North Bay by a skilled contract technician, so the GTA and whatnot is cake.

Go Dell with the Core Duo. It'll be a great laptop.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
darkpuppet,Jun 2 2006, 02:03 PM Wrote:honestly, I'd recomend she stay away from the apple machine.  She's not a computer geek and her boyfriend's a sailor and as far as I can tell, they don't play a lot of videogames... sure they have a bunch of geek friends, but why needlessly complicate things?

Wich makes the Apple machine a better fit for her, you don't need to be a geek to run a Mac. My sister is a convert to the Mac and she took to it without any problems you do need to have a bit of patience to adjust to the way the Mac does certain things but afterwards you think about it and ask why the hell does Windows do it the other way. As for peripherals there is nothing that I haven't plugged into my Mac that doesn't get recognised right away from Printers, digital cameras, USB hard drives. Another bonus of the Mac is the iLife suite of apps from iMovie, iTunes, iWeb, Garage Band, iDVD all included with every Mac a suite like this is not available from Microsoft and the apps that are available on Windows to do all that work are either expensive or archaic in nature compared to the Apple versions. The Mac might be more expensive but in the long run they pay for themselves by having less down time and less virus intrusions.

Laterz :)
1972 Austin Mini | 1989 Mini30 | 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS
Macs still suffer serious exploits each and every month, just about the same as MS boxen. That's what happens when you just toss a GUI overtop of UNIX... you get holes, the same as any other system.

I've got reams of security flaw-based alter emails from Watchguard if you guys are interested.

And fixing geek-level stuff on an Apple is twice as rough. With Windows it's really quite simple as far as problems... it's either user-level (applications and some drivers) or kernel-level (most drivers and all hardware). With *nix, you've got multiple run levels to be concerned about, plus privs to rectify the problem for each run level. Don't even get me started with nice and other process priority settings on a *nix box... I prefer right-click and set priority of each thread, thanks.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 7 2006, 10:09 AM Wrote:Macs still suffer serious exploits each and every month, just about the same as MS boxen. That's what happens when you just toss a GUI overtop of UNIX... you get holes, the same as any other system.

I've got reams of security flaw-based alter emails from Watchguard if you guys are interested.

And fixing geek-level stuff on an Apple is twice as rough. With Windows it's really quite simple as far as problems... it's either user-level (applications and some drivers) or kernel-level (most drivers and all hardware). With *nix, you've got multiple run levels to be concerned about, plus privs to rectify the problem for each run level. Don't even get me started with nice and other process priority settings on a *nix box... I prefer right-click and set priority of each thread, thanks.
[right][snapback]191800[/snapback][/right]

and thats the beauty of OS X if you're not a geek you don't have to worry about all that Geek Unix stuff and use the comp without any worries. I myself have run my Mac now for 1.5 years without ever having to dig trough the Unix underpinnings of the Mac OS even when installing new hardware or peripherals, yes there are the occasional updates to fix this or that but every OS has those.

Laterz :)
1972 Austin Mini | 1989 Mini30 | 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS
granted Macs are gravy... the easiest to use machines, and quite capable, but I still don't necessarily recommend them unless you have software that requires them.

because it gets quite complicated when Windows users want to share stuff with Mac users and vice versa. That's where the geek help comes in... if I had a dollar for every time the 2 or 3 people I know with macs who aren't in media came to me asking why they can't see/use/do something a windows user has sent them, I'd be rich.

I think Macs are perfect for people who have applications that need the mac OS, and for those who won't be interfacing a whole lot with the windows world.

As much as I love macs, I have a hard time recommending them for the single fact that they aren't the defacto standard OS...and that has limitations.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!