Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm A Car Audio 'tard....
...so here I come asking for help..

I really have NO idea what I'm doing.. I've read a lot of websites about car audio and all of that jazz, and all it has done is 1) confuse me more, 2) give me a raging headache, 3) make me wonder why I'm bothering.

All I want to do, is build a simple sub enclosure/etc in my trunk, while maintaining functionality of the trunk. I do haul things around, and I don't want a coffin of subs, amps, and all those other electronic gizmos taking up 90% of the space.

I don't need something that will shake the city, just a little something for a little better sound, since the bass blows on the stock speakers. I also don't want to replace the head unit, existing speakers, or anything.

Was thinking of building a something along the side of the trunk, like the audiophile. Anyone happen to have the dimensions of a sedan audiophile enclosure?
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
I could be wrong but the sedans never got anything like that from the factory. You can however get one that's made for it, JL Audio should have one for the sedan. You can also have an audio shop build one for you for any sub you want. If you're bored to can try to make one for yourself... it's not as hard as one may think. Fiberglass the back to fit the curves then MDF for the sides and front.
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
Wonder where they stuck it then, if sedans have the audiophile option... i dunno.

looked on JL audio, they only offer a box for the eggs.

I can probably create one myself, thats no sweat..and it'll keep me off the streets for a day or two.
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
if you go for the pioneer low profile subs, you can get away with as little as 3" mounting depth.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

the 05 + can have a sub... IIRC there was a sony audio option on the 05 ST.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
Just looked it up.. the SE, SES and ST had it as an option.

Wonder if I could find the whole audiophile package somewhere (all speakers & headunit) cheap somewhere and call it a day.
--
Team PITA
If you are looking for the dimensions, go to Future shop car audio and just ask them, they have a book of all the dimensions, that's where I got mine and it's working out perfectly!
~~2000 Midnight Blue 5-speed ZX3~~

~*~Evo 3 Body Kit~*~17'' BSA Gunmetal Black rims~*~Cold Air Intake~*~Angel Eye Projector Headlights~*~7'' Yellow Fog Lights~*~Tinted Altezza Tails~*~PINK Underglow~*~

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it.
Don't have future shop down here ;) And I won't be up that way for 2-3 weeks... might stop in at best buy or something and see if they have the same deal.

Thanks for the tip!
--
Team PITA
scoobasteve,Jun 1 2006, 02:34 PM Wrote:the 05 + can have a sub... IIRC there was a sony audio option on the 05 ST.
[right][snapback]190903[/snapback][/right]

Do you know if there was any pre-wiring done for a sub in the trunk from the headunit or if we would have to run our own wiring? (I really would like to runa small sub but I don't wanna have half the car torn up, introducing squeaks and rattles to hook it up to my deck :ph34r:

NefCanuck
It really wouldnt be worth it to upgrade to an audiophile setup.

You can add a sub to the factory setup, you'll just need a line output converter so you can get RCA connections off of the rear speakers. Or another option would be to buy an amp with High level inputs.

Both would be much easier than wiring up the factory sub and speakers

Personally, i'd hold off for a bit, Save some money and do a simple but effective overhaul on the cars stereo

I'd reccomend going with:

Any H/U that has 3 sets of preouts
5 Channel amp. Something that will do 30x4 and like 200x1
2 pairs of 5x7 coaxials.
and a 10" sub.

If you shop around, check car audio forums you should be able to get all this for under $1000.
05 Altima SE-R
Something like this would be a good start
Viper 550.6

Cheap, and a decent brand. (Made by directed audio)

You could go with the sub off the factory deck, but then you lose alot of sq and tuning abilities if you are using a high level output as a source.

Or... this would be even better

http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2165
05 Altima SE-R
Wow..thanks for all of the suggestions! Now I have something to digest and figure out.
--
Team PITA
best advice that I could give is to choose what you like, the same stereo in the same car will sound different to each person that listen to it. if it sounds go to you and its in your budget go for it.

as scooba said, save up and completly overhaul the entire stereo system, you'll be much happier in the end.
'03 Focus SVT
Get a self-powered Bazooka tube, like an 8" or 10". My dad has one in his Topaz (10" RS), and it sounds very nice. I am actually thinking of downsizing to just an 8" Tube (either a self-powered RS or a NOS8). Bazookas are designed so you can hook them up to EITHER a stock stereo, or an aftermarket one.

Just another suggestion.
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
Problem with using stock headunit is that there may not be preouts for an amp. Here's a link for building a fiberglass box, I found it somewhere on a focus forum, forget which one.fiberglass box
Also, I posted some pics of my box I made over on focusbc, here's the link for that,sub box I removed my spare tire and built it in there, I have full function of my trunk/hatch but, no spare tire. Fiberglass is the best way to do a box and is a lot easier to do than most people realize. I used tin foil to line my trunk before laying in the fg, the installer where I buy all my stuff told me it works better than plastic and doesn't stick like plastic either.
No name, Cheap and Slutty.

MMM Daddy Like
BTW if you do fiberglass it, get the woven type of glass sheets, it works a whole lot better and easier.
No name, Cheap and Slutty.

MMM Daddy Like
Thanks again guys.

I have to sit down with a pencil & paper and figure this all out, after I find out what sort of budget I can give myself.
--
Team PITA
I'm running a single Pioneer 500W IMPP 10" sub in a wedge, sealed enclosure. It's not the perfect setup, but the thump is undeniable. I've yet to have someone sit in the car and tell me they didn't like it. The wedge fits under the trunk / rear seat frame crossmember and requires no hardware to remain standing.

A proper, low-CFM sub in a narrow, sealed box might be just the thing you want.

[Image: th_SA400010.jpg]
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.