Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Test Drove A V6 Mustang Convertible
Flofocus,May 19 2006, 04:33 PM Wrote:so you changing this place to stangcanada.net?  :o  :P
[right][snapback]188575[/snapback][/right]

no.. still got plans for focuscanada.net that I wouldn't mind seeing through... even if I don't own a focus.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

darkpuppet,May 19 2006, 03:01 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,May 19 2006, 04:33 PM Wrote:so you changing this place to stangcanada.net?  :o  :P
[right][snapback]188575[/snapback][/right]

no.. still got plans for focuscanada.net that I wouldn't mind seeing through... even if I don't own a focus.
[right][snapback]188579[/snapback][/right]
Good to know. Also glad your not getting a Hunduh :D
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
http://members.cardomain.com/phantom66
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
2010 World Rally Blue Subaru Impreza WRX STi
I'd bet you could even drive the Cobra........
[Image: 860doigiveadamn2yy.gif]

Prolly Is not a word
darkpuppet,May 19 2006, 06:02 AM Wrote:Me personally, I could never see the mustang as a performance car.  It's not.  It's a muscle car sure, and the purest form of the muscle car is the GT.  But what do muscle cars do?  Go in a straight line... the odometer should be marked out in 1/4 mile increments...

Anyone who's buying a mustang under the premise of buying a sportscar are deluding themselves.  They're not buying a sportscar, they're buying a truck.

And it takes a helluva lot of work to make a sportscar out of a truck.  The GT ups the performance by putting in stiffer suspension, a bigger engine and LSD.  However all of these things combine to show every flaw in the chasis and drivetrain as well. 

Clunky gearbox, frame shimmy, axle shimmy.. ugh... I know that musclecar enthusiasts don't care about this so long as the car can drive straight, but man, it's a bitter pill for me to swallow... especially for the price of doing it.
[right][snapback]188579[/snapback][/right]

I have to completely disagree with this, You've got an SHM suspension on your focus....Have you ever gone for a ride in any Mustang that Sean Hyland has prepared??? Not that I know much about your Focus, but I'm sure that there are a few stangs out there who could keep up with it or better on track with out breaking the bank. No the Mustang is not a true sports car as you describe, but with a little work it can easily become more than a "one trick pony". The S197 cars are a good platform to start with and take from there. At my local auto-x events there a couple of moddified 05 GT Mustangs that do just as well as the STI's/S2000's/350Z cars that have similar mods. No, the Mustang is not as refind as the others, but to compare it to driving a truck is just rediculous IMO.

darkpuppet,May 19 2006, 06:02 AM Wrote:So what's the point in even buying a mustang?  Honestly, it's for the uneducated public who think they're getting a sportscar, and for those who are looking to buy something with image.
[right][snapback]188487[/snapback][/right]

Yes some buy for the image, but some buy for the RWD. Some buy for the sound and feeling of a V8, that no V6 or FI'd 4 cyl can repalicate. MANY people know exactly what they are buying when the get a Mustang (flaws included), but to say that "it's for the uneducated public who think they're getting a sportscar" is a pretty inacurate statement.
I'm well aware that there are mustangs out there that are race prepped and run with the best... and they can do it cheaper than the focus. Why do you think I"m dumping the focus.. I"m tired of dumping money into it :P

I'm comparing the cars as they would come off the lot. The focus is a very refined ride.

The mustang, even the new platform doesn't have the refinement I would expect from a purpose-built sportscar, and my likening it to a truck was for that illustrative purpose only.

People talk of the GT like it's a racecar, it's not.. it's a muscle car... a pretty raw one at that IMO. People can race anything if they prep it right, I'm not denying that...

I don't disagree that people buy the car because they like the feel of a v8 and whatnot, but honestly, I think that people who buy a stang thinking it's a sportscar are misguided... that's all.

I personally like the car... I know it's not perfect and I"m getting it anyways...but personally, I don't believe the GT is worth it unless you're willing to put in the extra time to make it truly track worthy.

I'm going to be one of the biggest posers in a stang, relax, don't take my opinion seriously or to heart.

darkpuppet,May 19 2006, 05:26 PM Wrote:...I think that people who buy a stang thinking it's a sportscar are misguided... that's all.....
[right][snapback]188607[/snapback][/right]

For some that does hold true, I can't deny it.

darkpuppet,May 19 2006, 05:26 PM Wrote:I'm going to be one of the biggest posers in a stang, relax, don't take my opinion seriously or to heart.
[right][snapback]188607[/snapback][/right]

No drama here Steve, its all good. We're just having an interesting discussion.
so, did you order this thing yet?
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
meford4u,May 25 2006, 03:06 PM Wrote:so, did you order this thing yet?
[right][snapback]189497[/snapback][/right]

that's what I'm trying to find out... it's like when I got the focus...they harp and harp and harp on you to buy a car, then when you agree to one, they all disappear.

I should have collected more business cards. I know that previously I was the one making them wait.. well, now it's my turn to harp on them.. I want my freakin' car!

darkpuppet,May 25 2006, 03:14 PM Wrote:[ well, now it's my turn to harp on them.. I want my freakin' car!
[right][snapback]189504[/snapback][/right]

It feels really odd to defend the dealership; but it's probably not their fault - blame it on Ford of Canada.

The 2006 Mustang's are balanced out now and they may be having difficulty finding the exact car you want.

What's more, although Ford has announced pricing for the '07s, they haven't announced any lease rates, interest rates, or residuals ... and so they could probably quote you a price, but they couldn't quote you a payment.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
ZTWsquared,May 25 2006, 03:44 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,May 25 2006, 03:14 PM Wrote:[ well, now it's my turn to harp on them.. I want my freakin' car!
[right][snapback]189504[/snapback][/right]

It feels really odd to defend the dealership; but it's probably not their fault - blame it on Ford of Canada.

The 2006 Mustang's are balanced out now and they may be having difficulty finding the exact car you want.

What's more, although Ford has announced pricing for the '07s, they haven't announced any lease rates, interest rates, or residuals ... and so they could probably quote you a price, but they couldn't quote you a payment.
[right][snapback]189518[/snapback][/right]

yeah, I know.. it's just a pain for the customer.. if they just told me this and gave me a timeline on when I can expect to hear back on everything, I'd be cool with it.

But it reminds me of the 3 month wait for my focus... and I'm not even getting the kitted-to-the-hilt car either.

just heard back...

they're having a hard time finding the car I want. Most of the cars dealerships have ordered come with the pony package, which forces you into an automatic (NO THANKS!)

They did find a red one tho (NO THANKS AGAIN).... they're seriously trying to immasculate me with my options at this point.

And they'd have to get the prices for the 07.. and while the factories are taking orders, they're not shipping (yet).. so I'd get my lease extended on my car...

if it's anything like getting my focus, I may just have the car in time for winter.

wow.

wait for an 07.
darkpuppet,May 25 2006, 04:56 PM Wrote:And they'd have to get the prices for the 07..[right][snapback]189554[/snapback][/right]
Man ... I don't know why they tell blatant lies like that ... Ford of Canada published 2007 Mustang prices on May 5th - if I can get 'em the frackin' dealer can get em.

BTW - the MSRP for an '07 Mustang V6 convertible is 27,999 -which is what it was last year IIRC.

PM me if you want the dealer prices.

darkpuppet,May 25 2006, 04:56 PM Wrote:and while the factories are taking orders, they're not shipping (yet).. [right][snapback]189554[/snapback][/right]
They haven't started building them yet - they're just finishing off the last of the '06s -- 2007 Mustang Job 1 is currently scheduled for June 5th - and they should start arriving at dealerships a week or 10 days after that.

Here's the thing ... your dealership knows full well exactly how many Mustangs they've been allocated and they should be able to tell you exactly what Mustangs they have on order. They had to start that process back in April. With Ford's OTD system the dealership can even go in and make changes to vehicles they've already ordered -- sometimes as little as 2 weeks before it's built.

The fact that they haven't done any of that suggests to me that they don't want to give an "X-planner" one of the first arrivals; and while that may be understandable, the stories they're telling you arent't

2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
well, the problem is that I'm talking to everyone BUT the sales manager... this is good info to have.

I'll have to have a chat with them.

darkpuppet,May 25 2006, 03:56 PM Wrote:just heard back...

they're having a hard time finding the car I want.  Most of the cars dealerships have ordered come with the pony package, which forces you into an automatic (NO THANKS!)

And they'd have to get the prices for the 07.. and while the factories are taking orders, they're not shipping (yet).. so I'd get my lease extended on my car...

if it's anything like getting my focus, I may just have the car in time for winter.
[right][snapback]189554[/snapback][/right]

Well, with the AT you can always do Brake Torque launches if you really have to burn rubber ;)

You can get your lease extended? :blink: how does that work? :blink:

Ah, a Ford Mustang in winter, loads of laughs there mate :D

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,May 25 2006, 10:22 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,May 25 2006, 03:56 PM Wrote:just heard back...

they're having a hard time finding the car I want.  Most of the cars dealerships have ordered come with the pony package, which forces you into an automatic (NO THANKS!)

[right][snapback]189554[/snapback][/right]

Well, with the AT you can always do Brake Torque launches if you really have to burn rubber ;)

You can get your lease extended? :blink: how does that work? :blink:

Ah, a Ford Mustang in winter, loads of laughs there mate :D

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]189656[/snapback][/right]

If I can't drive a stang in a toronto winter, something is severely wrong with me.

winter tires + traction control + not driving like an idiot (I know it's hard) = just dandy.

I drove RWD in TBay for years without issue....

I told my mom yesterday that i was getting a stang... "Oh, I always wanted a mustang!" "you had a mustang, remember how many times I had to drive you to work?" "but that was a small car" "The new one ain't much bigger".... etc etc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Test Drove An Ecoboost... Drivesthebeast 15 5,261 04-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Drivesthebeast
  Test Drive: 2007 Ford Mustang Shelby Gt500 SVT ZX3 4 2,168 06-21-2006, 02:52 AM
Last Post: SVTmonkey