Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Test Drove A V6 Mustang Convertible
Honestly, I was tempted to start another thread about the whole V6 vs V8 thing in the Mustang. Because I think it would spark some good debate.

Me personally, I could never see the mustang as a performance car. It's not. It's a muscle car sure, and the purest form of the muscle car is the GT. But what do muscle cars do? Go in a straight line... the odometer should be marked out in 1/4 mile increments...

Anyone who's buying a mustang under the premise of buying a sportscar are deluding themselves. They're not buying a sportscar, they're buying a truck.

And it takes a helluva lot of work to make a sportscar out of a truck. The GT ups the performance by putting in stiffer suspension, a bigger engine and LSD. However all of these things combine to show every flaw in the chasis and drivetrain as well.

Clunky gearbox, frame shimmy, axle shimmy.. ugh... I know that musclecar enthusiasts don't care about this so long as the car can drive straight, but man, it's a bitter pill for me to swallow... especially for the price of doing it.

So what's the point in even buying a mustang? Honestly, it's for the uneducated public who think they're getting a sportscar, and for those who are looking to buy something with image.

I'm the latter... it's a good looking car, and image wise, it's a step up from the focus. I've accepted that this car is a step down in handling from the focus, and honestly, half the fun of the focus is in how it handles. If you lose the one thing that makes a car fun to drive, you tend to look to other things that make it fun.

That's where the convertible comes in. It doesn't matter how terribly handling a convertible is, they are always fun to drive. I hate to admit it, but top down on a sunny day, it's a great way to be driving if you can't be doing it 10/10ths fast.

If I were Jeremy Clarkson, I'd say that the mustang is a pointless car. Cheap interior plastics, terribly handling, loud, and even with 300HP, not overly fast...

But to own one with that image, and to do it for the same price as owning a focus... why not give it a run for a few years?

I'm still young (sorta), plenty of time to save up for a true performance car later on in life... I do want to get into racing when money and time permit... and who knows.. get my practice in on a 'bad' car, then move up.... bad being relative of course.. the stang isn't THAT bad.

god I'm gonna miss the focus
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Thought about last night some more steve-o.

Dump the focus. If your dealer is stupid enough to take the car off your hands and give you a new one...go for it. I know how you are, the Focus would NEVER be perfect in your eyes. It's like my car, no matter how clean I get it, It still looks dirty. :lol:

I'm in no way saying you car is garbage, it;s just that I know what's it's like to have a car you can't "truely" rely on...It's enough to make a man drink.

I hope your dealer had fun with the electrical tape ball with 72 wired going into it. :blink:

I think this may the first time in history a customer has ever had a dealer by the short and curlies.... You want help pushing the Focus in for the trade?

If you want...bring the car over and we'll clean it up before they inspect it.
ANTHONYD,May 19 2006, 09:09 AM Wrote:Thought about last night some more steve-o.

Dump the focus. If your dealer is stupid enough to take the car off your hands and give you a new one...go for it. I know how you are, the Focus would NEVER be perfect in your eyes. It's like my car, no matter how clean I get it, It still looks dirty. :lol:

I'm in no way saying you car is garbage, it;s just that I know what's it's like to have a car you can't "truely" rely on...It's enough to make a man drink.

I hope your dealer had fun with the electrical tape ball with 72 wired going into it. :blink:

I think this may the first time in history a customer has ever had a dealer by the short and curlies.... You want help pushing the Focus in for the trade?

[right][snapback]188500[/snapback][/right]

The dealership has already inspected and agreed to take the car back. The move another car off their lot (good), and with some man-hours could correct the last of the faults with the car. For what they get in return, it's not a bad deal.

And if they change their mind, well, I'm fine with that.. I buy out the car and never buy ford again... not because I'm spiteful, but because there'd be no other compelling reason to get another ford beyond the current circumstances.

They've already washed the car (inside and out) while I was there last... no real need to detail it further since I may only have it for a few more weeks.

the only thing that kills me, is that I know I'm giving up a great performer for no reason other than what I've been through with the car has forever tarnished my perception of my particular car.. . If I had only done it the way I wanted done, it wouldn't be an issue, I'd buy it outright. But it isn't. It's a car I've had to raise from the ashes of Tuner Transformation, and for that, it'll never be perfect.

One of the reasons the car isn't always thoroughly clean is because I hate being reminded of the things I dislike. I should probably see a shrink.

I really dont care what you get....I'm just teasing with the whole v6 comments. I never really liked the mustang in the 1st place, so it would never be on my list of cars to consider. The new ones are pretty hawt but its like the civic for older people. Everybody has one. Kind of the whole point why I bought the focus...stand out from civic nation.

*Off to Ford to get some Azeznis slapped on. Wott! woot!
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
darkpuppet,May 19 2006, 09:19 AM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,May 19 2006, 09:09 AM Wrote:Thought about last night some more steve-o.

[right][snapback]188500[/snapback][/right]

The dealership has already inspected and agreed to take the car back. The move another car off their lot (good), and with some man-hours could correct the last of the faults with the car. For what they get in return, it's not a bad deal.

And if they change their mind, well, I'm fine with that.. I buy out the car and never buy ford again... not because I'm spiteful, but because there'd be no other compelling reason to get another ford beyond the current circumstances.

They've already washed the car (inside and out) while I was there last... no real need to detail it further since I may only have it for a few more weeks.

the only thing that kills me, is that I know I'm giving up a great performer for no reason other than what I've been through with the car has forever tarnished my perception of my particular car.. . If I had only done it the way I wanted done, it wouldn't be an issue, I'd buy it outright. But it isn't. It's a car I've had to raise from the ashes of Tuner Transformation, and for that, it'll never be perfect.

One of the reasons the car isn't always thoroughly clean is because I hate being reminded of the things I dislike. I should probably see a shrink.
[right][snapback]188506[/snapback][/right]

Once you lose interest, or passion for your ride, it's time to hand the keys over. Because the car will start to diminish in everyway. Look at all the old ricers out there with chipping boddy kits and rust. I'd hate to see your car end up that way.
ANTHONYD,May 19 2006, 10:41 AM Wrote:Once you lose interest, or passion for your ride, it's time to hand the keys over. Because the car will start to diminish in everyway. Look at all the old ricers out there with chipping boddy kits and rust. I'd hate to see your car end up that way.
[right][snapback]188509[/snapback][/right]

it would never end up that way, that's why it will cost me so much to keep it.. it has to get fixed. It's the part in my brain I can't turn off, and I know it has to be done...

darkpuppet,May 19 2006, 08:19 AM Wrote:.  I should probably see a shrink.
[right][snapback]188506[/snapback][/right]

Vote #2 :D
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
maybe I can park my car on the skyway and let the bombsquad "take care of it"....

is that covered under insurance?

darkpuppet,May 19 2006, 10:16 AM Wrote:maybe I can park my car on the skyway and let the bombsquad "take care of it"....

[right][snapback]188521[/snapback][/right]

Attention whore, you'll do anything to get on TV again wont you?
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
Good move on getting rid of the Focus, it's time to move on to something else, there is only so much money you can dump into something that will always be just a Focus.

Come out to NOTL and take me for a ride in the vert! Beer and BBQ on me!
I have a few cars.

One for my dog.
One that has no roof.
One that looks good parked at the golf course.
One that is being rebuilt by a guy named Nero..... will it ever be done?
Euro Ford Fan,May 19 2006, 11:21 AM Wrote:Good move on getting rid of the Focus, it's time to move on to something else, there is only so much money you can dump into something that will always be just a Focus.

Come out to NOTL and take me for a ride in the vert!  Beer and BBQ on me!
[right][snapback]188523[/snapback][/right]

I'm sure a good 3rd of the miles I put on will be 'test drives'.. Anthony called dibs, but fortunately, he's along the way down.

Ahem................dibs?
How about the magician of the mods for the new car.

You know. The mods that actually work properly in your car?
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Re/ Test drives:

Whatever happened to "Locals Only" dude?
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
meford4u,May 19 2006, 01:43 PM Wrote:Ahem................dibs?
How about the magician of the mods for the new car.

You know. The mods that actually work properly in your car?
[right][snapback]188551[/snapback][/right]

HAHAHA.. very true!

I honestly think the pro install on the gauges is what convinced the dealership. and i quote, "nice gauge pod.. which one is it? we did up a car a while back, and yours looks much better".

I'll be pretty eager to do some driving when the car comes in...

Why dont we just make this into a meet somewhere?
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
I'll trade you first ride in your new stang for a ride in a Cobra and Lightning.
[Image: 860doigiveadamn2yy.gif]

Prolly Is not a word
^---- oooooooooooo

2 FOR 1 DEAL!!
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
so you changing this place to stangcanada.net? :o :P
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
bluetoy,May 19 2006, 04:27 PM Wrote:I'll trade you  first ride in your new stang for a ride in a Cobra and Lightning.
[right][snapback]188571[/snapback][/right]

Damn, There goes my chances of offering a ride in the 300.. haha :ph34r: :(
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Test Drove An Ecoboost... Drivesthebeast 15 5,197 04-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Drivesthebeast
  Test Drive: 2007 Ford Mustang Shelby Gt500 SVT ZX3 4 2,160 06-21-2006, 02:52 AM
Last Post: SVTmonkey