Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Much Tranny Oil?
ok on the weekend I did an oil change tranny fluid change and new plugs and wires. From what I remember, and I can't find my haynes manual is that the tranny took 2.1litres of oil. Now I bought 3 litres of syncromesh and put in about 2.5 litres to see if that would help with the tractor like noise. The answer is yes, the tranny is much much much more quiet now that I did that. It could just be from changing the fluid to new stuff but I think adding a bit more oil helped too.

now my question is, does adding a bit more oil harm anything? or will it possibly make the tranny not work properly. Everything works fine now but I am just asking incase it's a bad idea

***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
there is suppose to be an overfill screw and your has topped that? the only think i would worry about would be the clutch. Is there a possiblity of the oil leaking in the clutch assembly?
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

mo_focus,Nov 11 2005, 02:36 AM Wrote:there is suppose to be an overfill screw and your has topped that? the only think i would worry about would be the clutch. Is there a possiblity of the oil leaking in the clutch assembly?
[right][snapback]155039[/snapback][/right]

well it's not overflowing or anything the clutch engages fine no slipping no noise no anything

***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
As long as you are on level ground and fill it to the bottom of the filler/overflow hole, everything is good. My owners manual says 2l (it also says to use ATF) but I've seen other sources specify up to 2.5l for the MTX-75. Mine usually takes around 2.4-2.5l.

The main problem with overfilling is to slow down the synchromesh units. If you find shifts are too slow or grinding, you could drain a little or go to a lighter oil.
nass,Nov 11 2005, 02:00 AM Wrote:tranny took 2.1litres of oil. Now I bought 3 litres of syncromesh and put in about 2.5 litres to see if that would help with the tractor like noise. The answer is yes, the tranny is much much much more quiet now that I did that. It could just be from changing the fluid to new stuff but I think adding a bit more oil helped too.
[right][snapback]155031[/snapback][/right]

Oh yeah, changing tansmission oil always helps to quiet my transmission. Over time the growl at low revs under load starts to worsen, and that's when I know it's time for new oil.