Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aftermarket Hid Conversion Kit (h4 Harness)

[/quote]
Don't bulbs last long enough as it is?
[right][snapback]80988[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well, this is my 3rd sets of bulbs within 18 months. :angry:
mmmm .. i thought you couldn't just "put some HIDs" without making some changes to power ? or is that only the fuse and thats it?..

I dont know.. i just remembered that everyones lights didn't work good or were always burning out..

i guess maybe his wiring thing is the same thing as the fuse in your car..but being external ?!

no clue..
ZX3T gone..
what he described in the first post isn't to convert to a 'arc discharge' lighting system.. its just a heavy duty wiring harness that will let you run higher wattage 'filament based' bulb

the only reason i could follow that description is because i used to have one too. it allowed me to run 100w bulbs. i didn't change the any fuses, and i don't think you should either.. you WANT the fuses to blow.. better that than a wire catching fire

watch out for melting in the headlight housing near the bulb

and don't call it a 'HID conversion kit' call it a 'heavy duty wiring harness' :)

dont put HIDs in your stock headlamp housings, the reason why, just dont do it man. that should be a good enough reason, actually, the output would suck donkey balls, so thats why.
My other ride is your Mom
Anyways, this one was settled when he said "H4"... Cowymo... you don't have High Intensity Discharge lamps... you have Eurolites or something along those lines... Don't touch the glass of the bulbs with your fingers and they should last longer. Upgrading the wire hardness will only help you in preventing melting of the harness...
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
HIDs are illegal in the USA ? They say Off Road Use only.
Here in Canada what's the scoop?
"Focus On The Road!"
I Love My Liquid Grey 2007 Focus ZX3 SE

Next: tint, front & rear bumpers...
cowymo,Jan 26 2005, 06:06 PM Wrote:Don't bulbs last long enough as it is?

Quote:Well, this is my 3rd sets of bulbs within 18 months.  :angry:

Stock OEM bulbs, or rice bulbs?

Quote:HIDs are illegal in the USA ? They say Off Road Use only.
Here in Canada what's the scoop?

Huh?

Only use your headlights offroad? That'd get a bit tricky, no?
its illegal to put HID bulbs into a housing that wasn't designed for them

i think that's a good law because it keeps people from getting blinded and it might make people less likely to go and steal HIDs from their rightful owners

[/quote]

Stock OEM bulbs, or rice bulbs?
[/quote]

Well aftermarket bulbs.. Eurolite, PIAA and stuff.. :(
Well, anyway, I got the harness now.
but the relays are missing, so I went back to the shop and now waiting for the exchange.

Anyway, just one problem I face. For the American 03 Focus, the cabling is hidden inside the headlight bracket and there is a rubber cover for the headlight to prevent water and snow from going into the bulb. The question is how am I going to connect the bulb socket onto the harness and still cover the big hole with the rubber cover?
Or is there another way round it? Please help~!!! :blink:
i just ran without the covers.. also i found that untinted 100w bulbs for 10/pair worked much better than the blue tinted crap.. even piaa stuff sucks.. also untinted bulbs draw far less attention from police

also, you should be really careful with this.. i noticed some melting inside the headlights. in the end i am not so sure this is really worth it. the bulbs didn't have a long life, there was melting, and the extra light output isn't really noticable unless you use high beams on unlit roads a lot.

oh and DON'T change any of the fuses in your fuse box to a higher wattage
Didn't you find lots of bugs, dust, and condensation in your headlights Naz?

One of my covers broke, so I went without for a week, and the headlights was so full of little bugs I had to take it out and shake it! lol
01-yellow-ZX3,Jan 29 2005 Wrote:Didn't you find lots of bugs, dust, and condensation in your headlights Naz?

One of my covers broke, so I went without for a week, and the headlights was so full of little bugs I had to take it out and shake it! lol
[right][snapback]81888[/snapback][/right]

I'm just wondering if I should cut a small hole on the rubber cover, just big enough for the cable to go through. So that in this way, I still be able to keep those bug out..

How much do those rubber cover cost? Maybe I can purchase one spare set from the dealership or some auto wreckers.

I'm not really thinking of running super bulbs. Just hoping to run 100/80W lightly tinted bulbs.
01-yellow-ZX3,Jan 29 2005 Wrote:Didn't you find lots of bugs, dust, and condensation in your headlights Naz?

[right][snapback]81888[/snapback][/right]

a bit of dust did get in, i never saw and bugs or condensation.. but i ran it like that during summer, spring and fall though.. i never went through a winter like that.. i swapped to MACHs before winter hit

as for running 100w/80w 'lightly tinted bulbs' .. honestly man.. i know firsthand you wont fool anyone with those things and you won't get much more light.. that light tinting really takes away a lot of light output since it only lets the bluer side of the spectrum through to try and get that 'look'.. you'll see it really clearly if you run 100w untinted and 100w lightly tinted side by side
naz,Jan 29 2005, 04:36 PM Wrote:as for running 100w/80w 'lightly tinted bulbs' .. honestly man.. i know firsthand you wont fool anyone with those things and you won't get much more light.. that light tinting really takes away a lot of light output since it only lets the bluer side of the spectrum through to try and get that 'look'.. you'll see it really clearly if you run 100w untinted and 100w lightly tinted side by side
[right][snapback]81911[/snapback][/right]

Well, guess I will have to stick on to my yellow bulb.. :)

So what do u think of the idea of cutting a hole at the rubber cover?
i wouldn't do it unless you had an extra set in hand. i don't know how much they cost from the dealer or if you can even get them seperately.

i didn't get the condensation and bugs the other guys are talking about but if i did get that i would have put everything back to stock.

also, i ended up keeping a spare set of bulbs in my car because the 100w bulbs really didn't seem to last very long.. i kept going through a set every couple of months.. people were also high beaming me because they thought my lights were badly aimed or that i was using high beams on them.. if it was a cop in a bad mood that was oncoming i could totally have seen them giving me a ticket...

i got sick of it and just put everything back to stock and saved up for mach hids

I asked the dealership today if they do sell those rubber cover individually.. but they don't. and the rubber cover only comes with the headlight assembly which cost $300 each!!!!.. What a rip off!!!!.. gee.. if I have that kinda money, I would rather get a set of Mach headlight or even projector headlights!..

Anyway, I was thinking of any alternate solution to cover that hole at the back without damaging the rubber cover, just incase I need to change everything back into stock condition.. any suggestions? :unsure:
OFOC- Ontario Focus Owners Club
They have a page on all matters concerning HIDs legal and instalation etc.
"Focus On The Road!"
I Love My Liquid Grey 2007 Focus ZX3 SE

Next: tint, front & rear bumpers...
Well, I got the harness and fit into my wagon now. I have changed from yellow to purple headlights. It is really much brighter than the stock.

However, I have to go without the rubber covering. So what I did was I cut a piece of cardboard from a carton box and tape it over the "hole".. it is really ugly if u open the hood.. but who will, except for me?. hahah.

So this is just testing.. Hopefully rain or snow or whatever it is will not get into the headlight and burn my bulbs again..

If the cardboard get damp, I will have to think of something else.