Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gps
Not sure if this is the right place to ask the question, but, what GPS system is the best, and doesn't look too far out of place, in a Focus, besides a woman... :o Please, no reviews about the GPS system in a Ferrari or Lamborghini
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
Go with tom tom. Its all touch screen and wth voice directions. They are about $300.
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
I have a TomTom One, they cost about $99-150. Also a MIO is a very good choice aswell, for about the same price range.

A friend of mine got this one, I like it better than my tomtom. It can be unlocked and used as a media player, mp3 player, etc.
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku....&affixedcode=WW
I have the garmin nuvi 250 and love it. Haven't really played with any others, but really don't have to. ;)

A co-worker has the garmin 350 IIRC, and she loves it also.

I went to a chalet in Mon tremblant, and used it to get us to the ski hill and back, never had a rpoblem, got us there and back every time.

I actually thought it would have a hard time becaus eiof our location, but no, knew all the streets accurately. B)
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
You asked what GPS system is the best?

If you want the cheapest out there and don't plan on using it in NA I say go with tomtom. If you want one that works in Canada and don't want to get lost Garmin is the way to go.

Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
Magellan 4050 FTW - voice directions, voice activated, large touchscreen with a variety of points of view, bluetooth for the phone, great POI database which you can customize with software they give you, includes a car charger and home charger, internal battery with 8 hour life means you can take it with you when walking or biking (came in handy in Quebec City) - seemed very accurate in Canada. Bought it at Costco in LA for 239.00 USD last November - but that was with a coupon, not sure what the regular price is.

oldeguy,Feb 26 2008, 09:58 AM Wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to ask the question, but, what GPS system is the best, and doesn't look too far out of place, in a Focus, besides a woman... :o  Please, no reviews about the GPS system in a Ferrari or Lamborghini
[right][snapback]258808[/snapback][/right]
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
I use the Garmin Quest, if you need something that can work out of the car as well, it would be my recommendation.

It has buttons rather than a touch screen, which I find is easier to use (fingerprints all over the screen also make those touch screen units dicey when the sun is shining on them)

The Quest (and Quest 2) are also able to function using the internal battery outside the car, for I believe eight hours, though I've never used it outside the car for more than an hour.

The GPS part is as accurate as you can get in that price class, the map software that you use with any GPS being its weakest link IMO.

As to how it looks in the car? Meh, not great, but I'd rather have accurate and ugly versus pretty and wrong in my GPS solution ;)

NefCanuck
I also have a Garmin not sure what model but its been pretty good to me,
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
CanadaSVT,Feb 26 2008, 02:29 PM Wrote:You asked what GPS system is the best?

If you want the cheapest out there and don't plan on using it in NA I say go with tomtom.  If you want one that works in Canada and don't want to get lost Garmin is the way to go.
[right][snapback]258816[/snapback][/right]

I use my tomtom all the time in various locn's in Ontario - never had an issue with directions/accuracy etc. Not sure where you get your info but its not the case with me .........
Strive for that moment when you're only a slice of pizza and a hooker away from paradise.
dlb,Feb 26 2008, 07:16 PM Wrote:
CanadaSVT,Feb 26 2008, 02:29 PM Wrote:You asked what GPS system is the best?

If you want the cheapest out there and don't plan on using it in NA I say go with tomtom.  If you want one that works in Canada and don't want to get lost Garmin is the way to go.
[right][snapback]258816[/snapback][/right]

I use my tomtom all the time in various locn's in Ontario - never had an issue with directions/accuracy etc. Not sure where you get your info but its not the case with me .........
[right][snapback]258842[/snapback][/right]

yep same here.

Got the TomTom 720. Love it. Its also got bluetooth and the quality is really good. I love the little futures its got as well.

Also new for TomTom is the shareMaps. SO everytime i plug it in its got updated maps. So incase if there was errors on maps this thing corrects itself.

Other futures that i like, handsfree calling, as long as you got a bluetooth phone. Traffic updates, if you have blackberry or HTC. ITs got FM transmitter, so you can even hear the directions on all speakers(sort of works like a handsfree phone), MP3 player, photo veiwer.

So far love it and i would recomended. As for the price, its 440 at FS, but i got it for 325.00 bc of price match :)
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

i just found out i can have Voice Recognition on TT GO 720 as well :) so i dont even have to enter the address. I can just say it :)
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

I have this monster ..... LOL

Innovatek gps-117

[Image: GPS.jpg]

7" screen, can be used as an addition monitor off my dvd deck, touch screen, maps for Canada/USA/Mexico, plays MP3s, MP4s, picture veiwer, SD card slot

and mine has a better suction cup mount

Got it for $310 shipped

only down side is there is no rechargable internal battery :(
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
if you are first time gps user, then go with garmin..
they are easy to use without going through owner's manual..

if you have used gps before, then go with tomtom, they got more features hich is a bit useless..but..

they both are top notch company but garmin is american based and tomtom is european based..
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
ZTWsquared,Feb 26 2008, 09:39 AM Wrote:Magellan 4050 FTW - voice directions, voice activated, large touchscreen with a variety of points of view, bluetooth for the phone, great POI database which you can customize with software they give you, includes a car charger and home charger,  internal battery with 8 hour life means you can take it with you when walking or biking (came in handy in Quebec City) - seemed very accurate in Canada. Bought it at Costco in LA for 239.00 USD last November - but that was with a coupon, not sure what the regular price is.

oldeguy,Feb 26 2008, 09:58 AM Wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to ask the question, but, what GPS system is the best, and doesn't look too far out of place, in a Focus, besides a woman... :o  Please, no reviews about the GPS system in a Ferrari or Lamborghini
[right][snapback]258808[/snapback][/right]
[right][snapback]258822[/snapback][/right]

Yes I also have the Magellan 4040 great GPS system...Bump for a good product
E.O Masiv!
New look for the summer
SVT ZX5 Focus Build#56 01/29/2003
I think there is something wrong with my car, every time I shift I hear Psssst noise?
Looking to get 25-30psi with a Procharger

[Image: style7,TikEtZ.png]