Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spark Plugs - More Feedback Needed!
So I received 4 spark plugs for my Focus for my birthday (weird choice of gift I know but sure beats underwear).

The part number is AZFS32FE which matches my Haynes manual.
I thought I remembered seeing an article that said that the Focus uses 2 different types of spark plugs in the Zetec engine for cyclinders 1,3 and then 2,4. Am I mistaken? Are the plugs I have the 160,000 plantinum version?

What do you have in your wallet... I mean car?

Yellow 2000 ZX3 - Tinted Windows, SVT Air Intake, MBRP Exhaust, NewEdge Performance 2.25" Flex Pipe, Focus Sport UDP, SVT Bumper, Ford Racing 9MM Wires, K&N Filter, XCal2 ECU Upgrade, Shorty Antenna, Ported Throttle Body
190,000 KM (120,000 Miles) and counting!
No those are the right plugs, I think maybe your thinking of another engine. All 4 are the same.
Does this sound familair to anyone, found it on 'another' focus website... I knew I remembered reading it somewhere...

Quote:The two cyls that had the double plats stock were the cyls that the engine runs on in "Limp Home Mode".

I'd say grab some Motorcraft Coppers. The P/N is AZFS22C. If you're looking for Platinums, run to AutoZone and pick-up some Autolite Double Plats. Whatever you do, don't get Bosch Quads. They suck
Yellow 2000 ZX3 - Tinted Windows, SVT Air Intake, MBRP Exhaust, NewEdge Performance 2.25" Flex Pipe, Focus Sport UDP, SVT Bumper, Ford Racing 9MM Wires, K&N Filter, XCal2 ECU Upgrade, Shorty Antenna, Ported Throttle Body
190,000 KM (120,000 Miles) and counting!
I was under the impression that the limp home mode was in case of catastrophic coolant loss.

And yes, just two cylinders fired at any given time (and the pair that wasn't firing was cooled by the intake air) ... but the pairs alternate - so essentially all four cylinders are used in limp home mode, just not at the same time.

Alec Brandon,May 5 2007, 09:01 AM Wrote:Does this sound familair to anyone, found it on 'another' focus website...  I knew I remembered reading it somewhere...

Quote:The two cyls that had the double plats stock were the cyls that the engine runs on in "Limp Home Mode".

I'd say grab some Motorcraft Coppers. The P/N is AZFS22C. If you're looking for Platinums, run to AutoZone and pick-up some Autolite Double Plats. Whatever you do, don't get Bosch Quads. They suck
[right][snapback]237456[/snapback][/right]
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
The DIS ignition system fires a spark on both the intake and the exhuast strokes
of cylinder running mates. the plug come from the factory with platinum on one side to help with electron errosion .... very high tech for prolong life plugs.
replacement plugs can go into any hole with platinum on both sides of the electrode with out worry. think ford is tring to save as much money as posible by putting platinu on one side of the electrode
First year with a Foci ' 03 ZX5 Silver
Baby seat, Roush Exhuast, more performance mods to come
I was using those platinum plugs from Ford and they work fine so its worth it just to keep with them. Or if you like copper, use the AZFS22C. I bought Ford racing wires and gapped mine to 0.06 inches and it runs very best.
I always ran stock Ford Motorcraft Platinum plugs in my Zetec, gapped to .050, and also used the Ford Racing 9mm ignition wires. I replaced my spark plugs about every 30,000 km's.

Others here might agree with me, unless you are running boost, the stock Ford stuff works best overall...

L8tz
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
I would say stay away from the copper plugs unless you're running boost.

a ) they're made out of copper, and should be replaced every 30,000km/mi
B ) they're meant to run cooler, which may hurt performance and mileage if you're not boosted. By running cooler, they avoid pre-ignition/detonation that would otherwise be caused under the increased strains of boost. However, under stock conditions would result in a possibly slower ignition of the mixture/delay the flame front.

best to stick with the stock part when changing your plugs. They do the job when used as designed by the ford engineers.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Autolight Double Plats.

Ive used them in both my foco's and been happy with the results.
2000 ZX3
I believe even decently-modded NA cars should stick with factory plugs unless told otherwise by an established and experienced tuner. I've yet to hear from Randy at FS about running colder / copper plugs on a NA setup that doesn't have a built bottom end and well over 200BHP. Intake, TB, header, exhaust and even medium cams don't require different plugs. A different gap, perhaps... but not different plugs.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Totally agree about BOSCH Quads they are the biggest p.o.s. i've ever seen... used them in my '05 Duratec for a couple of weeks, then switched back to Motorcraft. Amazing difference!

Alec Brandon,May 5 2007, 09:01 AM Wrote:Does this sound familair to anyone, found it on 'another' focus website...  I knew I remembered reading it somewhere...

zx4_ses,Jul 11 2007, 11:27 PM Wrote:Totally agree about BOSCH Quads they are the biggest p.o.s. i've ever seen... used them in my '05 Duratec for a couple of weeks, then switched back to Motorcraft. Amazing difference!

[right][snapback]243804[/snapback][/right]

First yes bosch +4's are somthing I dont trust.

Second stock plugs are fine so longas your driving the car like a normal person.
Its when you start driving like some of the members here that you need a better plug. Often somthing "hotter" then a stock plug.
2000 ZX3

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spark Plugs mustanggt_50 9 1,968 04-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Last Post: reldridge