Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garmin Quest Review
Okay I finally went and bought this after thinking long and hard about whether a $600GPS beats a $20 Perly's mapbook :P

The package contained the following items:

Quickstart Guide
Startup software
Mapquest version 6 & the version 7 update DVD
Mounting bracket to mount the GPS to the front window and speaker for verbal directions
USB cable
AC charging cradle
...and of course the Quest GPS, smaller than a pack of cards it is yes </Yoda>

As per the instructions I left the unit in the AC charger for three hours. Initally it was tricky to get the Quest to mate with the charger properly, got that solved and then when it was time to take it out of the charger had to struggle again :rolleyes:

Installed the startup software, which then asked me for the version 6 Mapquest disks and my registration number. About ten minutes to intall everything and then as per the instructions I threw in the version 7 disk and installed that.

Tried to use my registration number and was told that I had already registered. No biggie I figure and I opened Mapquest looking to download some maps into the Quest. No good as it says that the maps are still locked. WTF? So I try to register again and get told "already registered"

Re-install the version 7 software, no change. Getting pissed now and go to the Garmin site looking for answers, turns out that you have to register the version 7 software on their website Nowehere does it say this in the provided instructions, but it is however mentioned on the version 7 install disc... which is in the DVD drive <_<

Anyways that problem solved I download all of S. Ontario and Western NY state into the Garmin, takes only 35MB of the units 115MB internal memory and I start playing around. Thing can't find satillites worth a damn while its in my condo (Has no problems at work though :blink: ) but finds sats after about 2 minutes outside.

Set my home location, so now no matter where I am, I can always get home :ph34r: and then take the Quest to the car along with teh mount for the acid test. Therein is the next quirk... getting the goddamn windshield mount to stick, took a good 10 minutes but I got the sucker mounted and with the Focus cig. lighter being so close only needed to unspool the cable slightly minimizing the tangle in the car.

Set the thing to plot me a route to work (Typing in addresses is a real pain using the direction pad and on screen keyboard, but there is a price to be paid for the units portability I suppose) found the shortest route but not the best one as it can't account for traffic, but it got me there with nice and loud verbal directions (multiple as you get closer to the turn you need to take) in addition to the on screen prompts, which also includes the speed you are travelling and a graphical representation of where you are.

Real test comes Saturday :P

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Oct 12 2005, 05:36 PM Wrote:Okay I finally went and bought this after thinking long and hard about whether a $600GPS beats a $20 Perly's mapbook :P

The package contained the following items:

Quickstart Guide
Startup software
Mapquest version 6 & the version 7 update DVD
Mounting bracket to mount the GPS to the front window and speaker for verbal directions
USB cable
AC charging cradle
...and of course the Quest GPS, smaller than a pack of cards it is yes </Yoda>

As per the instructions I left the unit in the AC charger for three hours.  Initally it was tricky to get the Quest to mate with the charger properly, got that solved and then when it was time to take it out of the charger had to struggle again :rolleyes:

Installed the startup software, which then asked me for the version 6 Mapquest disks and my registration number.  About ten minutes to intall everything and then as per the instructions I threw in the version 7 disk and installed that. 

Tried to use my registration number and was told that I had already registered.  No biggie I figure and I opened Mapquest looking to download some maps into the Quest.  No good as it says that the maps are still locked. WTF?  So I try to register again and get told "already registered" 

Re-install the version 7 software, no change.  Getting pissed now and go to the Garmin site looking for answers, turns out that you have to register the version 7 software on their website  Nowehere does it say this in the provided instructions, but it is however mentioned on the version 7 install disc... which is in the DVD drive <_<

Anyways that problem solved I download all of S. Ontario and Western NY state into the Garmin, takes only 35MB of the units 115MB internal memory and I start playing around.  Thing can't find satillites worth a damn while its in my condo (Has no problems at work though :blink: ) but finds sats after about 2 minutes outside.

Set my home location, so now no matter where I am, I can always get home :ph34r: and then take the Quest to the car along with teh mount for the acid test.  Therein is the next quirk... getting the goddamn windshield mount to stick, took a good 10 minutes but I got the sucker mounted and with the Focus cig. lighter being so close only needed to unspool the cable slightly minimizing the tangle in the car.

Set the thing to plot me a route to work (Typing in addresses is a real pain using the direction pad and on screen keyboard, but there is a price to be paid for the units portability I suppose) found the shortest route but not the best one as it can't account for traffic, but it got me there with nice and loud verbal directions (multiple as you get closer to the turn you need to take) in addition to the on screen prompts, which also includes the speed you are travelling and a graphical representation of where you are.

Real test comes Saturday :P

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]148483[/snapback][/right]

I like the speed thing, gps rocks the hizzo for that B)

Sounds like a nice unit but 600 bucks holy fack buddy :lol: Well it should be better then thecrappy tire one :D

So what do you rate it out of 10??
My Mom Says I'm Special
Kool_ZX3,Oct 12 2005, 05:38 PM Wrote:I like the speed thing, gps rocks the hizzo for that  B)

Sounds like a nice unit but 600 bucks holy fack buddy  :lol: Well it should be better then thecrappy tire one  :D

So what do you rate it out of 10??
[right][snapback]148507[/snapback][/right]

Hey, the CT one as far as I know is now dead in the water with Crappy Tire recalling them all

Out of ten? Solid 8, I like the hardware just fine, aside from the quirks using the brackets provided. Its the software that needs a kick in the head <_<

NefCanuck
OMG $600!!! :blink:

At least it seems solid.

Must... not... buy a GPS! Yet, anyways. Good review Daniel!
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
The unlocking part is a bit of a PITA , but the software gets better as you learn to use it.

And when you weigh it against the other units out there, you should be happier with the purchase, longterm.

Where's you end up getting it from?

PS. $600 is cheap, lol, it cost me $1500 for my aviation GPS and an additional $300 for the car kit, $40 every time I update the aviation database, $40 for the obstacle database (both are monthly) and about $60 a year for the current Mapsource version.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
OAC_Sparky,Oct 13 2005, 11:36 AM Wrote:The unlocking part is a bit of a PITA , but the software gets better as you learn to use it.

And when you weigh it against the other units out there, you should be happier with the purchase, longterm.

Where's you end up getting it from?

PS. $600 is cheap, lol, it cost me $1500 for my aviation GPS and an additional $300 for the car kit, $40 every time I update the aviation database, $40 for the obstacle database (both are monthly) and about $60 a year for the current Mapsource version.
[right][snapback]148686[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, futzing with the Mapsource software (Dunno why I kept calling it MapQuest in my review <_< ) last night I finally learned the trick to planning routes, got a few road trips for '06 planned already :D

Yeah I can't wait to have to pay for yearly updates to Mapsource :( but if it makes the GPS useful, cost of doing business I guess.

I used GPSmart, mainly because their distrbution centre is less than 20mins from my house, makes getting the package in one piece a sure thing :lol:

NefCanuck
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 13 2005, 11:22 AM Wrote:OMG $600!!! :blink:

At least it seems solid.

Must... not... buy a GPS! Yet, anyways. Good review Daniel!
[right][snapback]148679[/snapback][/right]

Like a rock and hey $600 is cheap if it avoids even one of those "You're lost aren't you?" arguements :D

NefCanuck
I bought my GPS last summer; it's the best $1500 I have ever spend on a car. Noting beats getting in my rental car plugging in my gps typing in the address on the touch screen and off I go. No maps no getting lost just get in and go. I always laugh at the people who get lost just trying to get out of the airport. I even took it to the UK with my and it worked perfectly.

If you do a lot of driving a GPS is a must have!

The one part I don't like is that it records your driving time for each trip plus your average speed. My dad checked mine after a trip coming back from NYC last fall. Average speed was 118MPH Whoops. :D

This is mine.
[Image: B0000DJEK7.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]
I have a few cars.

One for my dog.
One that has no roof.
One that looks good parked at the golf course.
One that is being rebuilt by a guy named Nero..... will it ever be done?
Euro Ford Fan,Oct 18 2005, 11:12 AM Wrote:I bought my GPS last summer; it's the best $1500 I have ever spend on a car.  Noting beats getting in my rental car plugging in my gps typing in the address on the touch screen and off I go.  No maps no getting lost just get in and go. I always laugh at the people who get lost just trying to get out of the airport.  I even took it to the UK with my and it worked perfectly.

If you do a lot of driving a GPS is a must have!

The one part I don't like is that it records your driving time for each trip plus your average speed.  My dad checked mine after a trip coming back from NYC last fall.  Average speed was 118MPH Whoops.  :D

This is mine.
[Image: B0000DJEK7.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]
[right][snapback]149851[/snapback][/right]

Good lord $1500? :blink: Damn and that looks like the model Costco has for less than $900 now...

Heh, I'm gonna enjoy not getting lost going to buildings to give legal seminars to tenants lemme tell ya :P

NefCanuck