Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Timing Belt?or Serpentine?
hmm..good to know,,

how about chatter noise from cam??
is this got to do with bouncing tensioner???or engine oil is low and not lubricating camshaft??
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
konafocuswrc,May 6 2009, 03:38 PM Wrote:ok here is thing..

turned ac on full blast for 10 minute when car is running, i don't see ac clutch engages..i guess i need new ac compressor..

chatter noise and bit of grinding noise is coming from cam..

is there 2 idler pulleys??
the one right below alternator is bouncing..
is this normal or no??

[Image: th_Video-0002.jpg]
[right][snapback]286744[/snapback][/right]
One reason for the A/C clutch not engaging is low pressure in the system . It's not always the compressor , could be "who" doesn't send the signal to the clutch and "why"
I think is just one idler pulley and one tensioner .Check out the one that bounces .
I have some chatter and grinding noise too , the chatter comes from the hydraulic lifter , I can hear it better from inside , sometimes at the light while idling I think I drive a diesel car :) , also when the oil needs a change the chatter becomes louder . I have especially noticed after a couple of hot track days , then I changed the oil and everything calmed down .
When was the last time you changed the oil ? If it's old , then it's pressure drops and the lifters become louder . Nothing to worry about , in my opinion
I mentioned hydraulic lifters , someone else said they're solid lifters , hmmm <_<, I could be wrong ...
In my case just oil change did it .
Also some say the zetec's lifters are pretty noisy along with the fuel injectors. Thats the ticking and clicking and tapping your hearing. Nothing to worry about
i don't have any problem with ac condition..i get cold and hot no problem..

i guess i've done oil change like 2 years ago..and driven for 10k km i guess..

i will have to replace valve cover gasket, pcv hose and water inlet hose first and do engine shampoo..
then do oil change and then, change tension pulley which is only one that bounce..

this is what i need to replace right?
[Image: frd-YS4Z-6A228-AA.jpg]
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
konafocuswrc,May 6 2009, 05:40 PM Wrote:i don't have any problem with ac condition..i get cold and hot no problem..

i guess i've done oil change like 2 years ago..and driven for 10k km i guess..

i will have to replace valve cover gasket, pcv hose and water inlet hose first and do engine shampoo..
then do oil change and then, change tension pulley which is only one that bounce..

this is what i need to replace right?
[right][snapback]286757[/snapback][/right]
Two years ago ??? you must not love your car too much , it's the best and the cheapest maintenance that you can do , I could say the most important . Yes, that picture looks about right , that is the tensioner . That's what is making noise? One of my guesses was the tensioner . Replace it if it looks like the problem . But for the love of God , change the oil AND filter , before anything else !
no that is not what makes noise, that is what bouncing..

and noise was coming from the camshaft and that is what you explained to me earlier..
and yes, i will do the oil change..
ok here is what i found..
there is 2 tensioner..
i was talking about serpentine belt tensioner, not timing belt tensioner..
and ppl are saying serpentine belt tensioner bounces and that is normal..

who is right...
this is serpentine belt tensioner..and this is what bounce..

and this is timing belt tensioner..
[Image: frd-F8CZ-6K254-AA.jpg]
Focus man, Focus.,May 6 2009, 12:58 PM Wrote:BTW your video doesn't really show anything.
[right][snapback]286747[/snapback][/right]

actually video was for noise..
A little bounce is ok , what I had with my van was pretty much , as a comparison , you drive behind another car and see its wheels bouncing a little over potholes and bumps but in general the wheel stays on the ground . The problem is when the wheels bounce like a ball 3-4-5 times after the bump , meaning the struts don't work well anymore . Same with the tensioner , it's got a little movement up and down but keeps the belt stretched . I was talking about the serpentine that has one tensioner and one idler pulley . About the same applies to the timing belt . Depending on a belt route , sometimes is , sometimes there is no idler pulley . If you tensioner just bounces a little and don't see/hear the belt wobbling/squeeling, just leave it alone .
i checked again..and tensioner bounce when car is idling but as soon as i give it a gas, it stops bounce..
this only happens while idling..

so i guess it is normal..

and this is how mine looks like..
[Image: zetec-withac-ad.gif]
I think you can relax from this point of view
Ok I had $#!t speakers at work. I hear a slight whine or noise. Try taking the serpentine belt off and turning the tensioner and idler pullies or wiggle them. If either bearing is gone it wont turn smoothly or it will be loose (not smooth to turn).
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
2 years for a oil change? holy hell batman! change that stuff every 3 months or 5k man! its normal for the serp belt tensioner to bounce around like that. if it didnt your belt would either squeel like a mother, or come off the pulleys or snap! before you do anything change the oil dude. from the video it sounds like the lifters making noise.
FSWERKS Race Exhaust, H&R Race Springs, HID all around
yeah i know..i had my own excuse not doing oil change with valve cover gasket..
my buddy at work who is mechanic, he assured me he is going to do tranny swap, that was like last year..
and i wanted to everything at once..
and he got an accident and cannot do anything..

another buddy who knows mechanics, same s***..i bothered him for couple months now and he cannot find parts for tranny swap..

anyway..no more excuses..
i am going to see mechanics in person and do oil change and inspect belt and pulleys..

belt bounce but not like lowriders with airbag suspension bouncing, bounce like 1/8", enough to cause slipping..??

it didn't squeal like a pig..
i am just gonna spend all saved money for tranny swap to get new replacement parts for engine..

i already ordered spark plugs, wires, and will see if i can get size of fr/esslinger udp belt and swap it along with all other pumps and pulleys before i go with manual tranny swap..

and probably adjustable cam gears and do the timing belt replacement..

THANK Y'ALL for share their opinions/suggestions
konafocuswrc,May 7 2009, 11:33 AM Wrote:i am just gonna spend all saved money for tranny swap to get new replacement parts for engine..

i already ordered spark plugs, wires, and will see if i can get size of fr/esslinger udp belt and swap it along with all other pumps and pulleys before i go with manual tranny swap..

and probably adjustable cam gears and do the timing belt replacement..

THANK Y'ALL for share their opinions/suggestions
[right][snapback]286825[/snapback][/right]
You're very welcome , happy to help
Hey hey... Belt tensioner bouncing is normal actually. I had a freak about this too but both my and my dad's focus do that and that is considered normal. Anyone just pop your hood and see.

As previously mentioned it good be the bearing on one of the pulleys causing the noise, but whether it is tensioner, alternator or A/C we don't know. Take your belt off and spin every pulley.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Timing Belt/Chain Lucster1000 4 4,742 10-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Last Post: sonic_mikey
  svt timing belt sonic_mikey 6 6,367 07-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Last Post: sonic_mikey
  When to change the timing belt? MIAjeff 6 2,811 05-31-2010, 06:16 AM
Last Post: Frost__2001
  Timing Belt grimshaw 5 2,335 11-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Last Post: PerfectSaiyan