Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Svt Intake Swap
OK I should probably let the cat out of the bag: I swapped an SVT intake onto a Zetec. For the money and time involved, the best mod to date. I previously ran a ported Y2K intake which, at the time, was the best mod as far as improvements to performance.
I picked up the setup from a local source and fabbed up the missing pieces from Mopac Auto Parts and from bits and pieces I had in the garage.
Pictures, you want pictures, well OK....

[Image: Im005748.jpg]
The DSI switch, mounted to the DS outer frame rail with a home-made bracket, running the cable through an existing hole in the unibody.

[Image: Im005749.jpg]
An MSD 8950 RPM switch to control the DSI. The RPM switch has both a power and a ground controller so you can either turn something on or off at a set rpm. (I think I may use the power on controller to turn on a light in the dash, so I know when Zetec kicks in, yo!).

[Image: Im005747.jpg]
The MSD switch uses "pills" (just resistors, actually) to set the rpm at which the switch will engage/disengage. But, being the cheap Scot that I am, I wired in a potientiometer from Circuit City to have the ability to adjust the rpm switchover point. The plastic box I had in my games box. Just need a knob for fine tuning, but right now it's set to switch at ab. 4900 rpm.

[Image: Im005785A.jpg]
I wire loomed all the wiring, and am pulling key-on power from two wires going into the fuse box from underneath. (Not sure if the wording is large enough to read)

The finished product.
[Image: Im005782.jpg]

[Image: Im005783.jpg]

[Image: Im005784.jpg]
The short-ram intake I made from the left-over stock intake tubing. I used the stock MAF and housing, the SVT AIC and the SVT throttle body.
I have been trying to fix an erratic idle problem since I finished the install. So far I have made up a AIC restrictor from thin sheet metal cut to match the IAC module with two 5/32" holes drilled in it. So far that has fixed the idle, bringing it down to ab. 950 or so. It also cured the tendancy of the engine to rev higher as I clutch in when shifting.
Looks stock, drives stock, with no issues at all. Good driveability in stop and go traffic. A bit of flutter at 2000 rpm but thats normal for SVT's from what I read.
Once you get into the throttle, however, and that's when the fun starts. More torque at lower rpms than the Y2K, and you sure know when the short runners engage. It pulls HARD from 5000-7000, very quickly as well. Still smiling just thinking about it! :D
Bottom line, the best money I have spent by far. And cost? About $310 total money out the door. Three days spent leisurly working on it but that was due to the fabrication needed. I did all the wiring first, getting the DSI mounted and working first then tearing into the hard stuff. So, unless someone has this setup, I lay claim to the only working SVT intake swap in Canada. HOOOYAAAA!
P.S. Anyone who wants help or more info on this swap I am more than happy to help out.
looks good.....not sure where i can find SVT ait intake around here......and dang that wiring part looks confusing :P

too bad ur all the way in Calgary, def would love to take a closer look into that engine

p.s. did u have it on the dyno yet?
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
definitely a very interesting swap. im guessing there is a detailed write up somewhere to explain how to do this?

question: im not very versed on exactly how the SVT intake manifold works, but from my understanding it allows for more air above a certain rpm by adjusting fins in the manifold. im assuming you have chip/flasher that conpensates for this cahnge in air over the rpm range? and how hard was it to tune for this?

am i correct or out in left field? :lol:
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
No dyno, nor any tune yet; that is still to come. I am waiting till I finish all the engine mods before I get an SCT flasher.
I am suprised as to how well it runs un-tuned; i can tell the Ford ECU is hunting for a steady idle, however. It's just now starting to settle in.
As far as how the manifold works, this link shows it well...
http://www.myfordfocus.com/svt/
Some thoughts....
-I have seen the swap going for $375-$500 complete on FF and the Jet. I have been on the fence for quite some time now, mostly due to the cost involved.
-I wasn't able to get the tubing, intake box, snorkel or MAF so I used what I had; it was recommended that I use the stock MAF and housing anyway.
-The best part is the dual runners; you get the low-end torque of long runners with the high-rpm hp of short runners.
-If someone can pick up the parts reasonably priced and they have a good mechanical touch it is entireably doeable in a weekend.
the SVT intake manifold basically has two sets of runners, one long and one short. the long runners are used under a certian RPM, and once the engine reaches 5000RPM the runners change to short to let air into the engine faster. not really that dramatic of an event, more so with the VCT on the intake cam.

that extremly cool that you got it to work. i'd like to see the differnce between the two manifold, caus i know there is a spike for a brief moment when i switches over.
'03 Focus SVT
WoW thats impressive?

congrats on the build

do u think if i go to a stock zetec intake mani ill be the first in canada?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

02' SONIC BLUE, SVTF #2686 OF 4788
K&N FIPK
SCT XCAL-2 POWERED BY STEEDA
SCREAMIN' DEMON COIL PACK & LIVEWIRES
STEEDA STRUT TOWER BRACE (SONIC BLUE)
STEEDA STS
STEEDA REAR POLY MOTOR MOUNT
DEI HEADER WRAP
MBRP 2.5" EXHAUST
EBC GREENSTUFF PADS
EBC SLOTTED AND DIMPLED ROTORS
RUSSELL STEEL BRAIDED LINES
EURO SVT RIMS 17" General Exclaim UHP
ALPINE H/U

Winter package includes Euro SVT RIMS with Nokian WR'S
02_svt_guy,Oct 20 2006, 08:44 PM Wrote:WoW  thats impressive?

congrats on the build

do u think if i go to a stock zetec  intake mani  ill be the first in canada?
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
[right][snapback]212785[/snapback][/right]

lol probly
and also the biggest idiot in canada!!!! :lol: :lol:
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
ZX5focused,Oct 20 2006, 08:01 PM Wrote:
02_svt_guy,Oct 20 2006, 08:44 PM Wrote:WoW  thats impressive?

congrats on the build

do u think if i go to a stock zetec  intake mani  ill be the first in canada?
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
[right][snapback]212785[/snapback][/right]

lol probly
and also the biggest idiot in canada!!!! :lol: :lol:
[right][snapback]212787[/snapback][/right]

hahha the slowest SVT in north america
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
Welcome to the IMRC club, brother :D

Nice work! That's a pretty detailed description you have there.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Thanks for all the kind words! One thing I forgot to mention is I do have a CEL due to the EGR being disabled. There is no provision for an EGR on the SVT intake. I think the best fix would be a tune with an EGR delete. I may also look into an SVT header setup. I don't like looking at that big plug on my current header.
Wanna do the swap-check this out....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Focus-...1QQcmdZViewItem
not a bad price for all of that! So far no bids!
Skirt, Volant Intake, HID projectors, Eibach Suspension, SVT rims
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 22 2006, 02:42 PM Wrote:Welcome to the IMRC club, brother :D
[right][snapback]212898[/snapback][/right]

what are you talking about? fill me in on this, catch me on msn or something.
'03 Focus SVT
I will be doing this swap soon, any help will be very appreciated, I'm From Puerto Rico, for faster communication facebook.com/antonioeli , Thanks!
I will look you up on FB.
Great swap and writeup man!
My wagon thinks it's faster than your wagon ...