Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Front Page
Flofocus,Dec 11 2006, 03:44 PM Wrote:To the rest: Buy new puters. :P
[right][snapback]219637[/snapback][/right]
Nothing wrong with my computer. 3.0Ghz HT with 2Gb RAM and a 512 x1650 Radeon Pro. My 1.7Ghz 1Gb laptop had the same problem.

Likely suspect was IE. Or the worm scanner. Firefox was OK. My internet connection is fine. I'm not on dialup.

FWIW, I used to blow my money on having the best PC.

Now having nice real estate to store my computer in is more important. I just can't live in my parent's basement anymore like some kind of computer nerd.

;)
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
What if I live in my own basement and spend money on renovations (and the odd car mod or computer part)? :unsure:
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 11 2006, 11:41 PM Wrote:What if I live in my own basement and spend money on renovations (and the odd car mod or computer part)? :unsure:
[right][snapback]219743[/snapback][/right]
That's different. Now get your chores done and the Mrs. might let you out of the dungeon. :lol:
OAC_Sparky,Dec 11 2006, 07:28 PM Wrote:Now having nice real estate to store my computer in is more important. I just can't live in my parent's basement anymore like some kind of computer nerd.

;)
[right][snapback]219708[/snapback][/right]

i dont think anybody that has posted this thread lives in their parents basement.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
OAC_Sparky,Dec 11 2006, 06:28 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Dec 11 2006, 03:44 PM Wrote:To the rest: Buy new puters. :P
[right][snapback]219637[/snapback][/right]
Nothing wrong with my computer. 3.0Ghz HT with 2Gb RAM and a 512 x1650 Radeon Pro. My 1.7Ghz 1Gb laptop had the same problem.

Likely suspect was IE. Or the worm scanner. Firefox was OK. My internet connection is fine. I'm not on dialup.

FWIW, I used to blow my money on having the best PC.

Now having nice real estate to store my computer in is more important. I just can't live in my parent's basement anymore like some kind of computer nerd.

;)

Last time I upgraded my PC was two years ago...

Then I bought the Focus... gee I wonder where all my PC upgrade cash went? :rolleyes: :lol:

NefCanuck
(Who also does not live in his parents basement :P)
Flofocus,Dec 12 2006, 08:38 AM Wrote:
OAC_Sparky,Dec 11 2006, 07:28 PM Wrote:Now having nice real estate to store my computer in is more important. I just can't live in my parent's basement anymore like some kind of computer nerd.

;)

i dont think anybody that has posted this thread lives in their parents basement.
[right][snapback]219765[/snapback][/right]

i do :(

but im still a poor student B)
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
ZX5focused,Dec 12 2006, 11:04 AM Wrote:
Flofocus,Dec 12 2006, 08:38 AM Wrote:

;)

[right][snapback]219765[/snapback][/right]

i do :(

but im still a poor student B)
[right][snapback]219780[/snapback][/right]

There's nothing wrong (in my books) with being a student and living at home.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 12 2006, 11:56 AM Wrote:There's nothing wrong (in my books) with being a student and living at home.
[right][snapback]219796[/snapback][/right]

Thank you... I was living on my own, but I'm one of those "returning-nightmares"... they thought they got rid of me, and once undergrad was done, they got me back!!

Although, technically, I'm living out of my boxes that are stored in their basement.
Does a shorty anntena count as a mod?? Wink
2006 ZX5 UV red with SAP package

"Two things in life are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not so sure about the universe"
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 12 2006, 11:56 AM Wrote:There's nothing wrong (in my books) with being a student and living at home.
Depends on the course of study.

Too many students out there majoring in "responsibility shirking" with a minor in "leech off your parents".

While education is very important, a lot of kids can use a dose of reality. Scottish household -- at 17 it's "GTFO and make your own way." That includes college.

And I've never lived at home since.

Anyways, students living at home were not the target of my comment. The point I was making was that my computers ( I have 3) are plenty fast enough for what I need. I've got more important things to buy than buy a new computer every 6 months.

I've got a Wii and a PS3. What more do I need? :P
OAC_Sparky,Dec 12 2006, 02:44 PM Wrote:Anyways, students living at home were not the target of my comment. [right][snapback]219817[/snapback][/right]

still trying to figure out who was the target. :P
OAC_Sparky,Dec 12 2006, 01:44 PM Wrote:

Too many students out there majoring in "responsibility shirking" with a minor in "leech off your parents".

While education is very important, a lot of kids can use a dose of reality. Scottish household -- at 17 it's "GTFO and make your own way." That includes college.

Anyways, students living at home were not the target of my comment. The point I was making was that my computers ( I have 3) are plenty fast enough for what I need. I've got more important things to buy than buy a new computer every 6 months.

[right][snapback]219817[/snapback][/right]

I agree with what you're saying, but the majority of the kids that "make it" on their own are largely paid for by their parents. A few studious, budgeting-aware students manage on their own (either in rez or in apartments), but a LOT of them depend on OSAP and other assistance and after books, clothes, tuition and rent... the food money, amongst other things, is just not there. So, it's either you work and risk blowing college because you're too tired to study, or starve and hope the local food bank is generous / live off handouts from family and friends.

Personally, I had OSAP through college and didn't work. I made myself survive. It was tight (especially the last 6 months, where my new girlfriend actually pitched in quite the chunk of change), but I made it. Thankfully that college hottie went on to marry me. :P I truly believe that had I worked through college, I would have torpedoed my future quite spectacularly.

NOS2Go4Me,Dec 12 2006, 03:53 PM Wrote:
OAC_Sparky,Dec 12 2006, 01:44 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]219817[/snapback][/right]

I agree with what you're saying, but the majority of the kids that "make it" on their own are largely paid for by their parents. A few studious, budgeting-aware students manage on their own (either in rez or in apartments), but a LOT of them depend on OSAP and other assistance and after books, clothes, tuition and rent... the food money, amongst other things, is just not there. So, it's either you work and risk blowing college because you're too tired to study, or starve and hope the local food bank is generous / live off handouts from family and friends.

Personally, I had OSAP through college and didn't work. I made myself survive. It was tight (especially the last 6 months, where my new girlfriend actually pitched in quite the chunk of change), but I made it. Thankfully that college hottie went on to marry me. :P I truly believe that had I worked through college, I would have torpedoed my future quite spectacularly.
[right][snapback]219834[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, cost of living is more these days. I dont know how they expect a student to do well in school while paying $1000-$1300/rent, then groceries, parking, etc. Its crazy. Frig, the bus in Ottawa is now close to $3 each way. Thats close to $6 for a round trip :blink:

I worked fulltime during college (mcdonalds), and lived with my parents...even then I had a hard time covering my insurance every month, paying gas to drive 100kms/day to go to school, and cover my books and tuition....

If my parents didnt let me live with them while I was in college, I wouldnt be where I am today in life.

Thanks Mom & dad! :)
True, but someone will always argue that bus passes are available and make it much more affordable. :rolleyes:

As for Matt's comment, computers suck, I'll upgrade every five or so years at the most. I've lost all interest in them. FC and a few other forums are just about the only things keeping that gap alive of course.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
euro_zx5,Dec 12 2006, 04:26 PM Wrote:True, but someone will always argue that bus passes are available and make it much more affordable. :rolleyes:

[right][snapback]219847[/snapback][/right]

Try living in a community where bus service isn't available... and then arguing with OSAP that yes... you really do need to make car payments... and have them still deny you financial aid

I agree with you flo... they don't make it easy for students.

I'm not trying to start a pissing contest... just a general statement
Does a shorty anntena count as a mod?? Wink
2006 ZX5 UV red with SAP package

"Two things in life are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not so sure about the universe"
ZX5chica,Dec 12 2006, 10:17 PM Wrote:Try living in a community where bus service isn't available... and then arguing with OSAP that yes... you really do need to make car payments... and have them still deny you financial aid[right][snapback]219898[/snapback][/right]

The only reason I made it to begin with is because I owned the car I had at the time outright (no monthly payments and just PL/PD for ins.) and I bundled the cost of gas into my rent calcs. Then, I carpooled with 3 other people for the 1/2 hour trip in and out each day... which paid my gas. So, I budgeted for the worst and ended up borrowing a fraction more than I would have had to. I had no choice - it was plan or fail :(

My 16 year old will be living in the basement and taking the bus to McMaster. He'll have a 10 minute walk to the closest bus stop. He'll be expected to pull his weight around the house, he'll still have it easier than I did. I want the best for all my kids, but there are no free rides here.

I worked nights, supported an (ex-)wife and kids and went to college during the day. My boss didn't care if I had an exam the next day, he was paying me to work, not go to college. There were no party nights, couldn't afford them. I used to take the bus when I couldn't afford my insurance. Actually worked out better because it gave me an extra hour of study time.

If you want an education bad enough, you'll do whatever it takes. I'm not criticizing anyone here per se, everyone has their own story. But being the age I am, I have a quite a few friends that have kids in school. Kids that wash out of programs because they're too busy conducting social lived than hitting the books. My wife was the same way. Washed out of year 1 at Mac, ended up going to a year 1 1/2 at college to bring grades up, got back into Mac and finished her degree. 5 1/2 years for a BA. $40G and 5 1/2 years that you're out of the workforce for a degree that might, if you're lucky, land you a $50G a year job. Crazy.
Not to toot my own horn or anything......

I did 4 years of intense art school with deadlines that were not for the weak approximately 150 dollars every week and a half for supplies. Paper and markers, printer cartrages and paper ain't cheap! (that's for sure)

The first year of school I lived in an apartment with 4 other guys and rent was cheap.

Never took out OSAP, did it without a credit card until the last year, paid my folks 350 in rent a month and still managed to take Jen out for the odd nice dinner. (It pays having chefs as friends)

I had 3 jobs, I waited tables at Jack Astor's in Brampton and then worked in the kitchen and bouncer duties at Dick's in Mississagua. Creative scheduling was a must! I've obviously lost that skill over the years. :(

I mostly ate at the bar I was working at for free. Packed my own lunches for the most part and drove dad's 85 buick skylark to and from school.

finished with an 80% average in a course that had a 70% drop out rate.

Total debt upon graduation?

something like $56.93 I kept the VISA statement so I can show my kids that it can be done.

ANTHONYD,Dec 13 2006, 09:00 AM Wrote:Creative scheduling was a must! I've obviously lost that skill over the years. :([right][snapback]219942[/snapback][/right]
:lol:

Quote:...it can be done.
Yes it can.
wow.. interesting thread diversion..

I wish i was as organized as some of you guys/gals are.. .but I'm not. I'm terrible with money, a chronic procrastinator, and overall, very unorganized.

I somehow make up for it in raw brainpower and work ethic tho... lived at home, paid my own way through school, and still bought computers, mountainbike equipment and stuff to enjoy during my off time.

Of course, the fact that I managed to earn above the poverty line working only weekends at jobs that paid just over minimum is a testament to how much sleep I sacrificed to do it that way.

moral of the story:
don't do as i do!
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

I had it easy in university. I partied I wasted many days not going to school and I got the drunkenness out of my system.
I paid my own way by driving a taxi where I made on average $1000 every weekend I worked and $10000 at Christmas. Don't feel too sorry for the guy driving the cab, they make good money.
I lived on my own, took the bus and got a ride when I could.

But I had the time of my life.

TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's Wrong With The Front Page? meford4u 10 2,656 03-04-2005, 08:16 AM
Last Post: DD1
  Front Page Ideas......? Penwraith 8 2,363 10-29-2004, 06:57 AM
Last Post: scoobasteve
  New Front Page. CARELESSmtrsprts 24 5,629 10-18-2004, 01:32 PM
Last Post: ZX3TUNR
  Front Page Paparoach 3 1,443 08-06-2004, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Paparoach