Interior..ok but special lights..bulls***

little flare thing by the the front doors...bulls***

suspension...bulls***

tires..bulls***

no hatchback..bulls***

engine ...f***ING BULLs***

the fact that they are calling this a Focus..bulls***

see a pattern here......this car is bulls***

I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
D-Dub,Jan 10 2007, 07: Wrote:"Maybe my next car will be a WRX (if they bring back the autostick)"

May god have mercy on your soul.......... :blink:
[right][snapback]222921[/snapback][/right]

Proper automatics can be just as responsive and even shift quicker than manuals... VW DSG anyone? The new Porsche 911 Turbo?

C'mon now. Plus, when my wife needs to be comfortable driving it and she wants an auto... who am I to argue? She approves all the mods! :P

http://www.focaljet.com/1600x1200_wallpape...s-Coupe-003.jpg - I've got it... it's a Hyundai Accent! :blink: That's what the coupe looks like from this angle, anyhow.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Jan 11 2007, 01:36 AM Wrote:
D-Dub,Jan 10 2007, 07: Wrote:"Maybe my next car will be a WRX (if they bring back the autostick)"

May god have mercy on your soul.......... :blink:
[right][snapback]222921[/snapback][/right]

Proper automatics can be just as responsive and even shift quicker than manuals... VW DSG anyone? The new Porsche 911 Turbo?

C'mon now. Plus, when my wife needs to be comfortable driving it and she wants an auto... who am I to argue? She approves all the mods! :P

http://www.focaljet.com/1600x1200_wallpape...s-Coupe-003.jpg - I've got it... it's a Hyundai Accent! :blink: That's what the coupe looks like from this angle, anyhow.
[right][snapback]222935[/snapback][/right]

The Audi/VW DSG, is not an automatic by any means. An automatic/autostick car has a torque converter, the DSG does not have one. Its based on the principal of a clutch, in the case of the DSG two clutches. I'd suggest that you look up the workings of an automatic transmission and direct shift gearbox. You'll notice that they only have one thing in common and that is that they each have two pedals for the driver to use.
'03 Focus SVT
Semi- Automatics have a clutch and the DSG has 2. The DSG upshifts something like 18x faster the a semi-auto......which is alot better then what the semi is in a ferrari . BMW and Mercedes use the Semi also but call them SMG(bmw) and SMT(MB). But dont be fooled because the stuff you see in Chryslers and GM cars are autosticks and are not real semi autos because they still have torque converters in them, these systems are very expensive so you wont see them on alot of cars.
I really could care less about one clutch or two for the DSGs. The fact remains that an automatically-clutched transmission will always shift faster than a human when set up right. That goes double for a sequential manual transmission (ala motorcycles and shifter karts).

I guaran-fricking-tee you my shift-kitted A4OD was a hell of a lot quicker to shift than my autotragic or any Focus manual on the road. The VW Rabbit I drove, OTOH, with the ShiftTronic was not.

The point is that both the DSG and ShiftTronic automatics both have a manual mode and an automatic mode. They both offer performance improvements (in most cases) over a standard automatic and indeed the DSGs offer performance improvements over standard transmissions.

I don't see what the problem is with my statement, aside from a bit of a misnomer in the blanket terminology. A straight automatic as we know and love is NOT faster out of the box. A kitted auto is with the right setup... which isn't hard to do.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
i'm pretty sure the automatic trans in a wrx (why would ANYONE want that) is not a fancy auto with a computer activated clutch. it is a 4spd auto with torque converter. wrx with 5spd manual is gear long enough as it is (ie slow) why would anyone want to make it even slower by getting a 4spd.. i have no clue.
^^ Because not all of us buy a car for just ourselves alone? You obviously don't have the concerns of a wife / g/f to worry about.

Sometimes the vast majority of you here really f'ing surprise me. I LOVE manuals. My wife doesn't. We compromise - I get to mod, she gets an auto. After a couple of weeks, I forget all about the manual. Life goes on.

Sheesh.

NOS2Go4Me,Jan 14 2007, 01:14 PM Wrote:^^ Because not all of us buy a car for just ourselves alone? You obviously don't have the concerns of a wife / g/f to worry about.

Sometimes the vast majority of you here really f'ing surprise me. I LOVE manuals. My wife doesn't. We compromise - I get to mod, she gets an auto. After a couple of weeks, I forget all about the manual. Life goes on.

Sheesh.
[right][snapback]223314[/snapback][/right]
never mind.........the argument falls on deaf ears
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
NOS2Go4Me,Jan 14 2007, 06:14 PM Wrote:^^ Because not all of us buy a car for just ourselves alone? You obviously don't have the concerns of a wife / g/f to worry about.

Sheesh.

ever think about teaching your wife/gf/significant other to drive a standard transmission car. its a hard thing to do. they may stall a few times, but will get used to driving a standard in no time.

and modifying an automatic car is pointless.
'03 Focus SVT
FocusGuy7476,Jan 14 2007, 05:12 PM Wrote:and modifying an automatic car is pointless.
[right][snapback]223327[/snapback][/right]

there'd be a lot of drag racing guys who'd disagree with you..and besides, isn't modifying any car pointless?
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

FocusGuy7476,Jan 14 2007, 04:12 PM Wrote:ever think about teaching your wife/gf/significant other to drive a standard transmission car. its a hard thing to do. they may stall a few times, but will get used to driving a standard in no time.

and modifying an automatic car is pointless.

Meh, I've modded my auto up quite nicely thank you ;) Sure I haven't gone FI or anything, but I'm an example of how you can tweak a Focus auto nicely to make it much more fun to drive :P

NefCanuck
darkpuppet,Jan 14 2007, 11:50 PM Wrote:
FocusGuy7476,Jan 14 2007, 05:12 PM Wrote:and modifying an automatic car is pointless.

there'd be a lot of drag racing guys who'd disagree with you..and besides, isn't modifying any car pointless?
[right][snapback]223331[/snapback][/right]

yeah, modifying a car is pointless. I've really stopped doing because I want to focus on other things that are more aligned with my goals, and cars right now are a mode of transport right now.

and the automatic transmission was a blanket statement, just like NOS, but for a daily driver it kinda pointless from my experience with modifying a slush box.
'03 Focus SVT
meford4u,Jan 14 2007, 02:38 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Jan 14 2007, 01:14 PM Wrote:^^ Because not all of us buy a car for just ourselves alone? You obviously don't have the concerns of a wife / g/f to worry about.

Sheesh.
never mind.........the argument falls on deaf ears
[right][snapback]223319[/snapback][/right]

What argument? I've learned over the years that automatics aren't that bad. What's wrong with saying that?

Oh yeah. Nothing.

This what I dont understand the cars that are very close or better then a manual transmission are so out of most peoples price range, why even talk about it?.

Its not hard to drive stick its just hard to be a pro at it. Ive tought 5 people to drive it and comes in handy when Im not feeling good and my buddies going sober that night. The time you spend teaching your significant other will save you that extra $1500 or $3000 on a car that comes in manual.

I dont have anything against people driving autos, I understand some people use there cars for daily highway commutes and there is alot of traffic involved, not to mention some of us are older here and some have problems........understandable. But when some people come on and say they cant because they dont know how to and down want to learn, thats like saying "screw reading I can watch TV instead or have someone read it to me".

Another thing if you mod your auto, thats great, its your cup of tea, but dont come on here and tell us you wasted some guy on the street with your auto focus. Most of the people that have been around the board long enough know the difference between a stick and a auto, the sensation your getting is the same sensation you can get if you had a stock manual tranny......you need more then a exhaust and intake to make an auto faster.

Lets just say when your approaching a tight turn you can exactly tap the brakes downshift into second and power out of the turn...........and if you did drop it into 2 on your auto you and I know how much damage it would cause that thing.
I'm in the same boat as NOS, but I guess I just get my way with the woman. :lol: :P

The accord is auto, she drove the focus a few times last year but was scared she would brake something....lol.

We've been going out once a week with the bmw. She's really loves driving stick...she's getting comfortable with it to, so thats good. she knows that when we got to replace the accord, that I'll be wanting a 5/6speed. I've been driving a few cars lately....all auto, and I'd have to say Im really disappointed. At least with the accord, when I floor it, it downshifts, finds its gear and goes. On the matrix, VW, and the new focus was horrid. It really takes it time finding a gear. When I stomp on the gas I want it to get in the right rpm range and go, not search forever then go. I want to pass that car now!! :lol:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
My wife drives standard....she always did. (that was another reason I thought she was hot :P)

She said she never has the desire to own an automatic car. "they're just not fun enough"
I think everyone should be required to learn 5 speed as part of getting ones license, because then you can drive everything on the road (more or less) as well as having the privlidge of driving on it.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Flofocus,Jan 17 2007, 09:25 AM Wrote:I'm in the same boat as NOS, but I guess I just get my way with the woman.  :lol:  :P

The accord is auto, she drove the focus a few times last year but was scared she would brake something....lol.

We've been going out once a week with the bmw.  She's really loves driving stick...she's getting comfortable with it to, so thats good.   she knows that when we got to replace the accord, that I'll be wanting a 5/6speed.  I've been driving a few cars lately....all auto, and I'd have to say Im really disappointed.  At least with the accord, when I floor it, it downshifts, finds its gear and goes.  On the matrix, VW, and the new focus was horrid.  It really takes it time finding a gear.  When I stomp on the gas I want it to get in the right rpm range and go, not search forever then go.  I want to pass that car now!!  :lol:
[right][snapback]223598[/snapback][/right]

To eac their own. I find it's a matter of aptitude and innate desire for that level of control. To some, it's a joy. To others, it's a pain in the ass. For me, it's somewhere in between, depending largely on the car I'm driving.

And, I've found the new auto to be a vast improvement over the old auto we had. I can modulate the gears very easily and quickly with my foot. It's almost intuitive. It won't replace a manual for flat-out performance or gear-holding, but it's not a dreary drive to work either.

Frost__2001,Jan 17 2007, 02:46 PM Wrote:I think everyone should be required to learn 5 speed as part of getting ones license, because then you can drive everything on the road (more or less) as well as having the privlidge of driving on it.
[right][snapback]223611[/snapback][/right]

I believe in Alberta, you have to get a manual endorsement in order to drive a car with a manual transmission.
'03 Focus SVT
http://autos.canada.com/news/story.html?id...90-e12d7d989481

They revamp the Focus and tweak the Five Hundred... shouldn't that have been the other way around? Apparently I'm not the only one that thinks so.

Yes, we've already been discussing the Focus, but I felt the article was pertinent to the matter-at-hand.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  '09 Focus Unveiled darkpuppet 27 8,550 05-16-2008, 06:37 AM
Last Post: reldridge
  2008 Focus Recalled, Along With 2008 Nissan Xterra Frost__2001 4 1,815 12-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Oscar The Grouch