Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mbrp Exhaust
Well, since I've had this system for quite some time now, and have grown with it, I think it's time to write a little something about the little exhaust system that could...lol...

As most of you know, this setup has been in the FJ exhaust shootout, and has gotten favourable remarks on many other Foci based sites, and for good reason...

The 2nd Gen (kind I have), is very understaded in overall appearance. It's mostly hidden in the exhaust tunnel under the car, and there is no visable "fart can" at the rear...just a sensible mandrel bent set of tubes, a cylinder resonator, and cylinder shaped muffler, which is all hidden, and a flanged straight pipe tip at the rear. Not only does the system look like it was meant speciffically for this car (well, it was), but it has more of a sleeper look to it too.

In terms of the sound it makes...Is it loud? Depends on what you would call loud...yeah, sometimes it can drone a bit when running between 3K-4K rpm in any gear, or accelerating slowly, but at WOT it sounds almost like stock from outside the car, but is deeper and a bit more snarly sounding. Inside, it's not too overbearing, and doesn't sound remotely ricey. There are tons of JDM and G-Body cars up here in the Petawawa area with universal type exhausts like Vibrant or Flowmaster Dynomax, and all they do is sound ridiculously loud, and sound tinny and poppy. Who wants that? I don't. I like that the MBRP sounds like a WRC Focus exhaust, and sometimes even like there is a straight 6 in the car too instead of the Zetec. With a TB and CAI it sounds even more agressive, but again, it's understated compared to what's out there.

Performance wise? Yes, the car seemed to accelerate with less effort, especially at highway speeds, and the car did feel more powerful. When combined with other bolt-ons, it seemed to only improve. I'd have to say that MBRP and FJ's hp gains on the system are realistic...about 4.1hp at the wheels. Nice gain for what you pay.

And what do you pay? Depends on where you get it, and how, and if you self install it. I wanted as little hassel as possible, so I went and got it done right at the factory in Huntsville on my way home from Pet to Brantford on a long weekend. I paid $385 including taxes and installation.

The fit and finish is 1st rate, nice quality of all of the components, and there is a decent warranty on the vehicle. The folks at MBRP are very helpfull and knowledgeable, and don't make you regret buying their product, and neither will the performance, or the price.

I give this product a 5 out of 5 stars....
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
I guess we're allow to chime in on this.

My experience with my MBRP exhaust has been nothing but amazing. It's a noticeable improvement over stock, both in response and acceleration. In combination with my short ram intake and 3" cone filter, the SPI is actually fun to drive now.

The fit and finish is excellent. I've inspected it on more than one occasion since purchasing the system in April of this year, and it's flawless. It's a Gen. 2 system, so that means that they've worked out whatever bugs were in the original design.

The exhaust isn't raspy, and while I'm almost disappointed at times it isn't louder than other systems or bolt-on mufflers, it's nice not being on a first-name basis with the local constabulary. It's deep but not booming down low (< 3000 RPMs), but it comes up with a snarl that rises to a howl as you exceed 4000 RPMs.

What's important to note here is that the SPI sounds fundamentally different than the standard Zetec in the ZX3/5. It's more of a throaty-sounding engine than the more melodic Zetec. With that said, it's the perfect exhaust for the SPI.

I had mine installed at MBRP in Huntsville the same day Oscar did. We got a sizeable discount for purchasing 2 systems at once. Once mine came out of the shop, Oscar's went in, and we were allowed to tool around Huntsville and see how we liked the new system while we waited. Very cool.

The guys at MBRP in Huntsville are top-notch. They cut out the middle man so we pay less. You've gotta respect that. And the 5-year warranty is top-notch too.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
SVT MBRP = Very loud

Wagon MBRP = Nice sound

both good bargains, even though the tip is a bit off center on the svt model.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
Positive Feedback for MBRP Exhaust! A++ Will definately buy from MBRP again!
My other ride is your Mom
I am very pleased with the 2.25" MBRP exhaust I recently installed on the ZTS. The quality was first rate, very nice stainless finish. The tip is slightly understated compared to the fart cans I see on Hondas etc. The tone is nice and raspy deep, no tinniness or farting. I spent more time pulling off the stock exhaust than installing the new one. The only flaw was on the bend after the muffler touched the heat shielding on the underbody. A little bending fixed that. Overall, an excellent value at $320.99 Can. delivered with tax in, at my door in one week. Definitely recommended for anyone looking for quality, sound, price and ease of install.
well i just got my exhaust in today, looks really well built, and quality too! I'll edit this up when i get it installed, and let you know what i think
Wagon exhaust is good too. A little louder than hoped (family car) and it backfires lightly when decelerating due to the lower backpressure, but that can be removed with a tune. Overall, I like.
Awesome Write-ups guys. Makes my decision alot easier now on what to buy and from where. I was quoted 344.00 taxes in at my door ( mind you it's coming to cold lake bum F**K nowhere) That sounds like it's pretty much the average price. looks like i'll buy it for a christmas present for myself. JINGLE Bells JINGLES Bells
"The weak shall inherit...........NOTHING"
Mods so far:
- 2 Inch Drop, Focus Sport Cold Air Intake, Street Glow 4 light strobe system,MBRP Cat back exhaust, 35% tint on front windows, 5% all around the rear. 1 Million Color Flowlighting Underglow kit, Inside and out. SPEEDHUT custom indiglo Guages, Sirius Satellite Radio, Pioneer DH6800 Deck, 15" Solo-Baric L7 Sub,Enkei 17 inch rims, Belltronic Radar Detector
One week after having it installed, and I love it. Easily installed, build quality is great, and sounds good! Not ricey, very mellow compared to some others. I'd definately recommend, and buy again!

:D

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
Back from the death.... :blink:
Martin !
...V8 RX7...

...[Image: stan.gif]
Well my svt mbrp looks great was a snap to install (2 hours removal of old system and installation of mbrp) all this from a guy who isnt super mechanicially inclined

its super loud minor drawback
pops way to much annoying as hell
under wot sounds great
drone isnt half as bad as alot of other vehicles
hp increase can even say i really noticed?

quality of exhaust 5/5
fit n finish 4/5 took a while to get to straight right
sound at idle 5/5
wot 5/5
off gas deceleration 3/5 randomly pops?
downshifting 4/5 cause yes it pops to but id want it to pop when i downshift

next step is to see how it holds up in the winter
02' SONIC BLUE, SVTF #2686 OF 4788
K&N FIPK
SCT XCAL-2 POWERED BY STEEDA
SCREAMIN' DEMON COIL PACK & LIVEWIRES
STEEDA STRUT TOWER BRACE (SONIC BLUE)
STEEDA STS
STEEDA REAR POLY MOTOR MOUNT
DEI HEADER WRAP
MBRP 2.5" EXHAUST
EBC GREENSTUFF PADS
EBC SLOTTED AND DIMPLED ROTORS
RUSSELL STEEL BRAIDED LINES
EURO SVT RIMS 17" General Exclaim UHP
ALPINE H/U

Winter package includes Euro SVT RIMS with Nokian WR'S
got my mbrp like a week ago...i love it overall i give it 5/5...especially when u get it for free...

found on a local forum that a ford dealership was looking for someone to swap out a stock exhaust for an mbrp...so obviously i looked into it...The ford dealership in essex took my stock exhaust and swapped it for a 4 month old mbrp off another focus because the woman who was buying the used car didnt want a loud exhaust...well i dont mind...they gave me the exhaust and intalled for me...1 hour of sitting in a waiting room watching HD tv and drinking coffee and i got a free exhaust...
girard.k,May 22 2007, 07:42 PM Wrote:got my mbrp like a week ago...i love it overall i give it 5/5...especially when u get it for free...

found on a local forum that a ford dealership was looking for someone to swap out a stock exhaust for an mbrp...so obviously i looked into it...The ford dealership in essex took my stock exhaust and swapped it for a 4 month old mbrp off another focus because the woman who was buying the used car didnt want a loud exhaust...well i dont mind...they gave me the exhaust and intalled for me...1 hour of sitting in a waiting room watching HD tv and drinking coffee and i got a free exhaust...
[right][snapback]239302[/snapback][/right]

thats a score
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
girard.k,May 22 2007, 07:42 PM Wrote:got my mbrp like a week ago...i love it overall i give it 5/5...especially when u get it for free...

[right][snapback]239302[/snapback][/right]

bonus!
02' SONIC BLUE, SVTF #2686 OF 4788
K&N FIPK
SCT XCAL-2 POWERED BY STEEDA
SCREAMIN' DEMON COIL PACK & LIVEWIRES
STEEDA STRUT TOWER BRACE (SONIC BLUE)
STEEDA STS
STEEDA REAR POLY MOTOR MOUNT
DEI HEADER WRAP
MBRP 2.5" EXHAUST
EBC GREENSTUFF PADS
EBC SLOTTED AND DIMPLED ROTORS
RUSSELL STEEL BRAIDED LINES
EURO SVT RIMS 17" General Exclaim UHP
ALPINE H/U

Winter package includes Euro SVT RIMS with Nokian WR'S
thanks so much guys! i just joined this site and 5 min ago saw this mbrp on cardomain with a soundclip. i was immidiately impressed but with your guys' review right here im getting one myself.

ps. i got a 2005 ZX4 2.0L 5speed in CD silver and i just passed 17k!!!
Acceleration nicely reduces the wait between curves~
As mentioned in the other thread you've got the Duratec engine ... and I can confirm that the sound is [Borat]very nice [/Borat]

One decision you'll have to make though is regarding the second cat - a decision the Zetec boys don't have to make because that engine has a single cat.

MBRP doesn't make a Focus exhaust specifically for the Duratec ... so your choice is to remove the cat, at which point the MBRP becomes a bolt on affair ... or keep the second cat and modify the exhaust to fit.

I went the second route, so my installation cost was a bit more and took a bit longer - a job I don't think I would attempt to do myself.

Adam (NOS2GO etc) I believe kept the second cat - I can't remember what Daniel did (NEFCANUCK) - but there are a number of us here with Duratec and MBRP.

Good luck.

Aaronsfocus,May 31 2007, 10:29 PM Wrote:thanks so much guys! i just joined this site and 5 min ago saw this mbrp on cardomain with a soundclip. i was immidiately impressed but with your guys' review right here im getting one myself.

[right][snapback]240103[/snapback][/right]
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Thanks ZTWsquared!

so regarding the exhaust I could go for the easy way and just remove the second cat right? will that not affect anyhting in any way?

ZTWsquared,Jun 1 2007, 03:12 AM Wrote:As mentioned in the other thread you've got the Duratec engine ... and I can confirm that the sound is [Borat]very nice [/Borat]

One decision you'll have to make though is regarding the second cat - a decision the Zetec boys don't have to make because that engine has a single cat.

MBRP doesn't make a Focus exhaust specifically for the Duratec ... so your choice is to remove the cat, at which point the MBRP becomes a bolt on affair ... or keep the second cat and modify the exhaust to fit.

I went the second route, so my installation cost was a bit more and took a bit longer - a job I don't think I would attempt to do myself.

Adam (NOS2GO etc) I believe kept the second cat - I can't remember what Daniel did (NEFCANUCK) - but there are a number of us here with Duratec and MBRP.

Good luck.

Aaronsfocus,May 31 2007, 10:29 PM Wrote:thanks so much guys! i just joined this site and 5 min ago saw this mbrp on cardomain with a soundclip. i was immidiately impressed but with your guys' review right here im getting one myself.

[right][snapback]240103[/snapback][/right]
[right][snapback]240114[/snapback][/right]
Acceleration nicely reduces the wait between curves~
I'm going to be MBRP's test-mule for a 2.5" system shortly with a cat-delete pipe added to the system. Currently they have the correct measurements now for both the 2.25 and 2.5" systems that allow you to retain the second cat. That's great for emissions, not so great if you're feeling the need for extra power.

By mid-June I'm hoping to have the new system on. I'll report back then :)

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 1 2007, 07:14 AM Wrote:I'm going to be MBRP's test-mule for a 2.5" system shortly with a cat-delete pipe added to the system. Currently they have the correct measurements now for both the 2.25 and 2.5" systems that allow you to retain the second cat. That's great for emissions, not so great if you're feeling the need for extra power.

[right][snapback]240127[/snapback][/right]
Personally, I want to keep the second cat and run 2.5", as the 1st cat comes out in the exhaust manifold when the turbo goes in. :ph34r:

Is MBRP going to offer the 2.5" then for the sedan?
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
OAC_Sparky,Jun 1 2007, 08:41 AM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 1 2007, 07:14 AM Wrote:I'm going to be MBRP's test-mule for a 2.5" system shortly with a cat-delete pipe added to the system. Currently they have the correct measurements now for both the 2.25 and 2.5" systems that allow you to retain the second cat. That's great for emissions, not so great if you're feeling the need for extra power.

[right][snapback]240127[/snapback][/right]
Personally, I want to keep the second cat and run 2.5", as the 1st cat comes out in the exhaust manifold when the turbo goes in. :ph34r:

Is MBRP going to offer the 2.5" then for the sedan?
[right][snapback]240146[/snapback][/right]

Now I'm convinced F/I is a disease :ph34r:

AFAIK, yes... it's just a longer extension after the final muffler and joint for the sedan's overhang. Call Lorraine at MBRP if you want and ask her DIRECTLY. She's a great person to deal with.