Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powdercoat Vs. Paint
I'm almost to the point where I will be repairing and painting my rims.

Anyone know a good ballpark cost it would be to get powdercoating done? A few people I know say it costs around 175.00 for 4 rims, but I have this feeling it will be more.

I was about to paint the items and I have the right colour cans and supplies, but I don't want to do all that work to get scratches when I install the tires and mount the rims next week.

Opinions anyone?
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
powdercoat em,and you'll be much happier.

more resistant to stone chips, more uv resistant too.

I hear its $50/rim to blast and coat at a typical shop.
Buy your own powder coat gun off ebay for like $200, get somones old beat up oven and wire it into you garage.

then do others rims to pay for all your supplies

this might be my summer project :D
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
Oscar. There's a good powdercoat guy in northbay. My buddies gottn alot of work done thru him and his prices are really decent. I'll try and get his info for you within the next few days.
i disagree..

they say $175 for 4 wheels but there is hidden fee..
they charge to prep and blast..then they charge more depends on which color you choose..

not a problem with painting only if you are comfortable with painting and spend more time prepping than spraying..
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Here's a place in Kitchener with online pricing, to give you a rough idea.
Centery Powder Coating
I was going to get my old Konig's coated but I wanted a colour(bronze) that wasn't in stock so it was going to be $90 a rim, cause they had to order in the paint.

The only problem with powder coating is if you get a chip you can't just touch it up like you can with paint.
So you'll have to pay the get the rim re-coated.

If you prep, primer, and properly paint your rims yourself there won't be any problems getting them mounted(unless the shop doesn't know what there doing).
I did the painted myself, cost me $15 for the paint, and took me a few hours to do the rims. The paint filled in any rough bits in the rims, and I've only had to touch them up once in the 2.5 years I've had them on the car, minus the one rim which I lost in a curb, but otherwise they look great in the gun metal.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
SL8RZZX3,Mar 26 2010, 02:20 AM Wrote:Buy your own powder coat gun off ebay for like $200, get somones old beat up oven and wire it into you garage.

then do others rims to pay for all your supplies

this might be my summer project  :D
[right][snapback]303882[/snapback][/right]

i second this powder coater. i mean sher paint would be fine and dandy but think of all the other stuff you could powder coat down the road.

and in the end you get a free powder coater.

im definitely buying a one this summer.
In Europe FORD is pronounced "\kwa-le-te\"

2008 f250 6.4 powerstroke/twin turbo/crew cab/XLT/4x4 Edge programmer, Cat and Dpf delete, mbrp exhaust. 650hp 850ft/tq.....
2002 red SVT sport'in European Appearance package rims, AEM cai, #4111 of 4788, ranger 12v plug cover, 4500k HID HI/LO, eibach springs, H&R 15mm wheel spacers. sold Sad
2000 yellow zx3 sold
1994 mazda mx3 sold
1992 ford festiva (RIP)
i dont know where people are finding places for 175$ unless its a guy in his basement doing job

local places here, including guys that just happen to powder coat in their shop is always about the 300$ mark including your sandblasting, powder coating and minor repair to rims.

if you got some1 for 175$ either they are a friend doing a favour or it will turn out like sh!t.

spend the money or just paint it
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
Buy new wheels!

Sell the old ones.
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
k john car dose power coating not sure of cost, but worth the call to find out
It my not be fast but its LOUD
oscar is up in northbay, isnt k-john in GTA?
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
I spoke to a guy up here and he can do them for about 250.00 total. Sounds like a deal to me. Includes prep, paint, and topcoat.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
This might be out of the way but wheel wizards in Hamilton quoted me $540 and that includes straightening, fixing curb rash, prep, powder coat on all 4 AND welding, straighting, etc the rim that decided it liked to meet a curb lol
found some neat pics of a mazdaspeed 3 in black with gold rims. Pretty much my car will be the same instead it will be a Focus.

Link

[Image: Mazda_006.jpg]

Update.

Rims are back from the powdercoater. He put on 3 coats of paint but no coats of clear as they would make the rims too shiny.

I'm kind of debating on putting one coat of clear, he would put on at no charge, but would it be fine without clear?

I'll post pics ASAP.

Oscar The Grouch,Apr 23 2010, 05:29 PM Wrote:Update.

Rims are back from the powdercoater.  He put on 3 coats of paint but no coats of clear as they would make the rims too shiny.

I'm kind of debating on putting one coat of clear, he would put on at no charge, but would it be fine without clear?

I'll post pics ASAP.
[right][snapback]305755[/snapback][/right]

what did it cost you to get them done?
In Europe FORD is pronounced "\kwa-le-te\"

2008 f250 6.4 powerstroke/twin turbo/crew cab/XLT/4x4 Edge programmer, Cat and Dpf delete, mbrp exhaust. 650hp 850ft/tq.....
2002 red SVT sport'in European Appearance package rims, AEM cai, #4111 of 4788, ranger 12v plug cover, 4500k HID HI/LO, eibach springs, H&R 15mm wheel spacers. sold Sad
2000 yellow zx3 sold
1994 mazda mx3 sold
1992 ford festiva (RIP)
Jmountney1,Apr 23 2010, 01:41 PM Wrote:what did it cost you to get them done?
[right][snapback]305757[/snapback][/right]

250.00 for powdercoating and fixing the light curb rash. Rims are still true and sound.

an alternative to powdercoating is polishing them. saw the focus sedan 15" rims and they were polished, they looked really good.
My other ride is your Mom
Some quick snapshots of the rims back from the powdercoater.

Mmmmmm SEXY!!!

[Image: 26832_10150156644955247_833575246_120406...6567_n.jpg]

[Image: 26832_10150156644960247_833575246_120406...6445_n.jpg]