Poll:
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Should I Get?
I'm lookin to get an intake in my unmodified focus sedan, but i'm not sure which one..can you guys help me out
Volant!

[Image: 19420Cl.jpg]

VOLANT.
K&N drop in filter.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
At first I'd say K+N drop in, but for serious improvement (response, not just numbers) go shorty ram. CAIs are serious improvement, but not well suited for Canada in particular. Some opt for a bypass valve, but water draw-in is still possible (or so I've heard). That's a little too scary for me.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Im willing to bet the drop in will get better performance/response than a Shorty setup. Our engines get hot, and if you do lot of city driving, your shorty filter will only suck in hot air. I'd go with a drop in filter, a volant, or a true CAI. Only way.

:lol:
Flofocus,Feb 7 2005, 03:57 PM Wrote:Im willing to bet the drop in will get better performance/response than a Shorty setup.  Our engines get hot, and if you do lot of city driving, your shorty filter will only suck in hot air.  I'd go with a drop in filter, a volant, or a true CAI.  Only way.

[right][snapback]84137[/snapback][/right]

I have had a K&N Drop in as well as two different short rams on my car. There is a COMPLETE difference in performance between a K&N and a short ram, more like a HUGE difference. A K&N drop in doesn't do s**t. I have had 6 intakes (including my stock one) on my car now and the worst by far (well second worst to the stock one) is the K&N drop in.
S2,Feb 7 2005, 05:58 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Feb 7 2005, 03:57 PM Wrote:Im willing to bet the drop in will get better performance/response than a Shorty setup.  Our engines get hot, and if you do lot of city driving, your shorty filter will only suck in hot air.  I'd go with a drop in filter, a volant, or a true CAI.  Only way.

I have had a K&N Drop in as well as two different short rams on my car. There is a COMPLETE difference in performance between a K&N and a short ram, more like a HUGE difference. A K&N drop in doesn't do s**t. I have had 6 intakes (including my stock one) on my car now and the worst by far (well second worst to the stock one) is the K&N drop in.
[right][snapback]84139[/snapback][/right]

Im still going to stick to my original suggestion, after all you said B&M sucks when i've zero problems with them :P

The point to changing the air filter is for your car to breathe cooler air better. If you get a shorty, how is it getting ANY cold air in city driving? :unsure:
Flofocus,Feb 7 2005, 04:01 PM Wrote:
S2,Feb 7 2005, 05:58 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]84139[/snapback][/right]

Im still going to stick to my original suggestion, after all you said B&M sucks when i've zero problems with them :P

The point to changing the air filter is for your car to breathe cooler air better. If you get a shorty, how is it getting ANY cold air in city driving? :unsure:
[right][snapback]84140[/snapback][/right]

It's a flow issue man, a cylindrical filter flows WAY more air then a panel filter. Don't believe me, try it. I have actually had those intakes on my car so I think I know what I am talking about.
I beleive you but your still sucking in hot air with the shorties. ;)

At least the drop in well get 'cooler' air because it is boxed off like the volant is.
I'm actually looking to mod my airbox... drastically. I've ordered one of the most common cone filters from Keystone that fits the Focus MAF, and I have an ingenious idea that will preserve (some of) the airbox... possibly. If not, I'll create a new heatshield out of aluminum for it... found some diagrams online :headbang:

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
well, i narowed it down, to either a volant (sorry i forgot 2 put it up) or a shorty...S2 had a good point, so if you check back, lemme kno what you would chose, and everyone else for that matter
Volant now has a "ram air" attachment now too.
I run ice-man w/ airbox mod in the summer and short ram(ice-man upper tube w/ KN open filter) so I don't have to worry about hot air and water.
2000 ZX3: KW coil-over/IceMan/FC UPD/Megaflow cat-back /energy bushing all over/Ported TB/home make ground wires

260000km and counting.....
This whole intake business is kind of crap. I've had stock + k&N, iceman + k&n, short ram and cai.

I would say I liked the short ram the best because it sounded cool. But I don't think changing these is anything your going to feel by seet of you pants. Well except for a hole in the pocket. There are also some concerns about the CAI not having the same diameter as your MAF tubing, the MAF sensor measures air flow based on the tube size, if its not the same it will be running too rich or too lean.

In the end after going through all of these I now have the ice man on there. I also no longer use K&N filters. They appear to pass more dirt through than other filters. Read the following link: Tested.
I'd go with a VOLANT or a PIPERCROSS..... those two by far seem to be the intakes of choice right now for the focus. You can see the pipercross at http://www.mcnewsautomotive.com
hardk0re,Feb 8 2005, 11:45 AM Wrote:This whole intake business is kind of crap.  I've had stock + k&N, iceman + k&n, short ram and cai.

I would say I liked the short ram the best because it sounded cool.  But I don't think changing these is anything your going to feel by seet of you pants.  Well except for a hole in the pocket.  There are also some concerns about the CAI not having the same diameter as your MAF tubing, the MAF sensor measures air flow based on the tube size, if its not the same it will be running too rich or too lean.

In the end after going through all of these I now have the ice man on there. I also no longer use K&N filters.  They appear to pass more dirt through than other filters.  Read the following link: Tested.
[right][snapback]84350[/snapback][/right]

Yeah but they look cool.

And that's all that matters right. :ph34r:
I see what's going on here... they tested with a diesel, which really does need a good quantity of air to begin with. Secondly, they didn't do any after-test wear checks against the internals of the engines, nor did they extrapolate they overall additional cost of using an aftermarket filter either. They simply grabbed a drum, started banging, and began chanting "K+N Bad!".

Let's be serious for a second. Do you really think K+N makes filters that are harmful to your engine? These things are used in just about every vocation and application available to an internal combustion engine. Furthermore, they have a very effective filtering system that doesn't die off anywehre near as fast as paper filters do as it begins to accumulate dirt. Also, how much dirt really makes it into your engine bay and airbox? See the above comment about pro-rated wear and tear over time not being evaluated... because it's pointless. I'd speculate that more dirt gets into the engine via the fuel system and filter being clogged than via the intake... or it's pretty darn close. Either way, a proper investigative test that actually examines the engine prior to and after the tests is needed before claiming what those guys are saying to be true.

Also, for this one test that says you don't make horsepower with an aftermarket filter (and I beg to differ on that personally), how about all the dyno tests by both K+N themselves and aftermarket retailers / speed shop owners that show the increase in air significantly improves performance, fuel economy, and throttle response? I'm completely not convinced that one test should discourage anyone from using an aftermarket filter at all.

Just my opinion.

EDIT - http://knfilters.com/facts.htm - they use a certified test base as well, and are certified by the SAE. No too shabby for the credentials. They speak to what levels they specifically counter particulate, and why they work the way they do. Not much more to be said there.

Good points made, i am sure theres more crap put in by buying crappy gas, etc. I do believe the resuls somewhat that there is more dirt passed by a K&N.

Exactly what you've stated theres no real proof on the after affects, does the dirt just get burnt up and passed out causing negligable impact on the overall life/performance of the car.....

I think that its worth mentioning to those buying K&N filters, that over oiling is a BAD BAD thing, especially on our setups where the filter is so close to the MAF.

I personally don't like them, the fact that i've gotta take the time to wash it and oil it annoys the hell out of me, thats mainly why I don't use them in my current setup. But for the turbo theres not much choice for open cone filters...