Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Complete Suspension/Brake Overhaul Part 2 Starts this weekend.
Well it looks as if I am going to do a complete suspension overhaul when I do my Rear SVT Sub-frame swap. I currently have the Eibach Pro-Kit springs on my Focus. What struts do you guys think I should use? I plan on keeping the springs I currently have on the car.

I will require the following items:

Front & Rear struts
Front Camber Plates
Rear upper strut mounts
Ball Joints
Tie-rod ends

To go along with the items I already need for my rear brake swap.

Ball joints and tie-rod ends are easy to find and choose, but what struts to use? Should I pick up some SVT replacements or find a KYB retailer? This is NOT a track car, just a Commuter Car. It will not be used in any performance application. but I do want some quality items. Any input my fellow FC members could provide would be awsome.

I would prefer the supplier to be local, as I cannot wait to long and I would prefer not to pay duty at the border. Ken, you going to the States anytime soon?
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
i say go koni yellows there on sale right now for 50% off i believe
our shop is a koni dealer... northern motorsports
2000 dark violet pearl zx3: eagle rods, je pistons, fidanza cam gears, arp studs, ford racing highlift valve springs, svt front/rear disc conversion, prothane total kit, fc 65mm throttle body Tial gt3071r, tial mvs wastegate, tial Q bov, top speed "street" manifold,down pipe and dump tube, greddy boost controller, siemens deka #61 injectorz, stage 4 bully clutch way to much more to list
Instagram @o_so_slo
Can you get me a price for a set of front and rears Monkey?

I was quoted a price on KYB AGX's $208 ea. for fronts and $130 ea. for the rears. Probably overkill for me but still better than stock replacements, right?

I don't think you need the camber plates with only a 1.5" drop.
I never needed them with my Eibach sportlines, only used the EIbach camber bolts for the rears
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
just get some SVT dampeners if your only looking for a DD status. also like stated, you dont need plates for the front. I'm on sport lines and the rear look to need bolts but fronts are mint. no wear issues and that's a 2" drop

so just grab some rear camber bolts and ask ken for some svt's. if you dont want SVT's grab some gr2 kyb struts. they are like a factory replacement with slightly better valving
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
See my old thread for some ideas. I went all out for suspension. I'd recommend adjustable shocks, but they are really expensive.

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=275
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
(05-14-2010, 06:27 AM)GFXjamie Wrote: just get some SVT dampeners if your only looking for a DD status. also like stated, you dont need plates for the front. I'm on sport lines and the rear look to need bolts but fronts are mint. no wear issues and that's a 2" drop

so just grab some rear camber bolts and ask ken for some svt's. if you dont want SVT's grab some gr2 kyb struts. they are like a factory replacement with slightly better valving

^^x2 - and you shouldn't need the front camber plates (but I do recommend the rear camber bolts) ... my multimatic springs are spoken for, but I have a virtually new set of SVT dampers available (maybe 2500 clicks) ... and for a lot less than new. PM me if interested.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Kev, if you want the KYB's like I have. I'll get you the price with Mounts, belows, and struts and shocks.

About $730 i can get you the kit. Maybe a lil more. but thats with tax
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

i believe when i looked into it it was front and rears for 380 if i remember i can double check for you tomorrow
oops sorry your looking at 325ish for fronts and the same for rears so about 650 after taxes but like i said i will double check at work tomorrow
2000 dark violet pearl zx3: eagle rods, je pistons, fidanza cam gears, arp studs, ford racing highlift valve springs, svt front/rear disc conversion, prothane total kit, fc 65mm throttle body Tial gt3071r, tial mvs wastegate, tial Q bov, top speed "street" manifold,down pipe and dump tube, greddy boost controller, siemens deka #61 injectorz, stage 4 bully clutch way to much more to list
Instagram @o_so_slo
(05-14-2010, 07:37 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote: ^^x2 - and you shouldn't need the front camber plates (but I do recommend the rear camber bolts) ... my multimatic springs are spoken for, but I have a virtually new set of SVT dampers available (maybe 2500 clicks) ... and for a lot less than new. PM me if interested.

PM'd

Well getting the tires for my O-Z's tomorrow, and hopefully some suspension parts from Ken. Going to the Falls for the weekend so the teardown and re-build will begin next week. I will post up pic's of the progress as I go along.

Picked up a compressor from CTC on sale yesterday. Got the suspension from Ken, and wheels installed on Thursday. Install going froward this week. Just need to locate a spring compressor and a four stands and I should be good to go. Anybody willing to volunteer some time to assist?

where do you live? and the most I can assist is by watching and leg work... seeing as I've never done this before I don't know what it entails.
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
Scarborough, McCowan and Lawrence area.

i bet you're done by now lol. i just got home
Little bit of show, little bit of go.
Not yet Mikey. The install is going ahead on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Install Day 1: Those dam recessed nuts on top of the front strut plates. What a pain. I have both front struts up at East Court Ford to have the upper spring plates swapped over to the new dampers. The compressor I purchased is very under powered. I had better luck just using hand tools.

The heat today was killer. The stands I borrowed from Hardk0re sank right into the driveway. I needed to reposition them a couple times to keep the car off the ground. I decided to start with the front due to the fact it was easier than the rear. Lets just say I am not looking forward to the rest of the job. Undecided I know that the rear should be pretty straight forward, 8 bolts and then brake lines and cables. But it is hard to get things done with a wife with a bad sciatic nerve and a 16 month old whose middle name is TROUBLE. I just hate getting knee deep ito something and getting called away. Dodgy But such is life.

Hopefully once I get the front back together the rear isn't too much trouble. More updates to come as they are available.

The front is the bitch. The rear is super easy.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
That is good to hear. The front came apart very easily, it was just that nut on the top of the strut which was a pain. Hopefully things will go better tomorrow. Has anybody removed the entire rear subframe or am I going to be the first on here.

Isn't that what Ken did or did he just replace the control arms?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  *new Pics* Suspension And Brake Upgrade Progress Oscar The Grouch 30 11,396 04-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Oscar The Grouch