Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
07 zx3... Where to start???
Hey all, so I just registered on this site. Been on ff for a little while, had no idea this website existed. So I'm in the process of purchasing an 07 zx3 with the street appearance package and 44000 kms. The car is completely stock and I'm trying to just figure out where to start with engine mods. I work at MBRP exhaust so I don't need to worry about an exhaust... Also have my Sri picked out from steeda, picking up the cfm 67mm throttle body when I do that. Eventually I'm hoping to turbo it eventually. I know everyone has there own opinions of where to start, wanna know where everyone else would start.. And if there's any quality Canadian suppliers?
(02-13-2011, 01:02 PM)MuskokaZX3 Wrote: Hey all, so I just registered on this site. Been on ff for a little while, had no idea this website existed. So I'm in the process of purchasing an 07 zx3 with the street appearance package and 44000 kms. The car is completely stock and I'm trying to just figure out where to start with engine mods. I work at MBRP exhaust so I don't need to worry about an exhaust... Also have my Sri picked out from steeda, picking up the cfm 67mm throttle body when I do that. Eventually I'm hoping to turbo it eventually. I know everyone has there own opinions of where to start, wanna know where everyone else would start.. And if there's any quality Canadian suppliers?

Lots of hook ups for parts here ... check out the group buy options to see some past examples.

As to mods, here's my priority list:

1) Upgrade brakes - the SVT front brakes easily fit your car without the need to change knuckles and the SVT rear disc brakes are an excellent upgrade too. Ford racing has inexpensive kits for both.

2) Suspension ... you're gonna have to drop that bad boy. Excellent kits from Ford Racing and Eibach are inexpensive and there are also good choices for coil-overs if you want to go that route. Increasing the stiffness of the rear sway bar is easy and inexpensive, and although the front sway should be changed it requires the front subframe to be dropped so it's a lot more labour intensive.

3) Rims and rubber.

4) Now you're ready for boost. If you're really intent on boost you should hold off on things like intake and throttle body and make it an integrated effort.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Ok well I'm on the right track in my head... Was already looking at the rear svt conversion kit from cfm... Don't know if there's cheaper ones out there... Hate drum brakes!!! Also with the suspension was already looking at the eibach 1.5" lowering kit, not to sure what kind of lowering springs I should be looking at? Any links to other companies would be appreciated. And a check for wheels and tires not sure on the tires yet but I'm checkin out the enkei ev5s hyper bronze... And didn't know about waiting for the tb and intake till the turbo or whatever I go with... Why would be the downside of installing my short ram and tb if the engine gets retuned after the mods?
In my 02 I have the following. Ah well I don't really have to list it all out. Just check my sig. General rule of thumb to go by: drop before wheels, please. That way you get the stance before the looks. HID's are an easy upgrade for lighting but you will find that some here don't think HID's should be installed in non-projector housings. Other than that it's all up to you. Have fun with it v
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
buy my wheels and paint or powdercoat bronze
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
(02-13-2011, 03:08 PM)MuskokaZX3 Wrote: Ok well I'm on the right track in my head... Was already looking at the rear svt conversion kit from cfm... Don't know if there's cheaper ones out there... Hate drum brakes!!! Also with the suspension was already looking at the eibach 1.5" lowering kit, not to sure what kind of lowering springs I should be looking at? Any links to other companies would be appreciated. And a check for wheels and tires not sure on the tires yet but I'm checkin out the enkei ev5s hyper bronze... And didn't know about waiting for the tb and intake till the turbo or whatever I go with... Why would be the downside of installing my short ram and tb if the engine gets retuned after the mods?

If you've already spent money on short ram and tb, then no point in waiting ... if, on the other hand you haven't yet purchased those items then it might be recommended to wait and get what you need that matches the requirements of whatever turbo kit you get.

The other thing not yet mentioned is something like an SCT Ex-cal 3 and a tune.

I stand to be corrected, but if you've just got an exhaust and a short ram a performance tune is a really nice addition - but you really don't need it ... but if you've got exhaust and sri things and a tb, you really should get a tune.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
(02-14-2011, 01:38 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote:
(02-13-2011, 03:08 PM)MuskokaZX3 Wrote: Ok well I'm on the right track in my head... Was already looking at the rear svt conversion kit from cfm... Don't know if there's cheaper ones out there... Hate drum brakes!!! Also with the suspension was already looking at the eibach 1.5" lowering kit, not to sure what kind of lowering springs I should be looking at? Any links to other companies would be appreciated. And a check for wheels and tires not sure on the tires yet but I'm checkin out the enkei ev5s hyper bronze... And didn't know about waiting for the tb and intake till the turbo or whatever I go with... Why would be the downside of installing my short ram and tb if the engine gets retuned after the mods?

If you've already spent money on short ram and tb, then no point in waiting ... if, on the other hand you haven't yet purchased those items then it might be recommended to wait and get what you need that matches the requirements of whatever turbo kit you get.

The other thing not yet mentioned is something like an SCT Ex-cal 3 and a tune.

I stand to be corrected, but if you've just got an exhaust and a short ram a performance tune is a really nice addition - but you really don't need it ... but if you've got exhaust and sri things and a tb, you really should get a tune.

Hey, no I don't have anything on the car yet... An haven't purchased anything yet!!! Planning on getting an xcal... However when u purchase an fswerks turbo it includes an xcal... I'll proll end up buying one before I get the turbo in than tell fswerks to not include the one with theirs... Justget them to email me the turbo tune.
Just a side question, since you work with MBRP, I've got some one local who's selling his catback exhaust except he's got the Zetec from an '03. I've got the identical car to yours and was wondering if it would fit?
Also, don't forget a Steeda STS, first mod I made. I went with the Ford Racing suspension kit 1.5". Rides nice.
for suspension i went with eibach sportline springs and koni yellow dampers <<the dream combo lol
as for motor i got to many mods to the motor to tell you where to start....acually started off with a second motor that i tore apart and built with upgraded new internals and such

pick a path and stick with it...no sense getting an intake if your gonna get rid of it down the road..just more money out of your pocket

btw good choice going with the enkie ev5....i have the first gen (evo5) on my car and i love them...its a shame i rashed them and am now powder coating them neon orange
2000 dark violet pearl zx3: eagle rods, je pistons, fidanza cam gears, arp studs, ford racing highlift valve springs, svt front/rear disc conversion, prothane total kit, fc 65mm throttle body Tial gt3071r, tial mvs wastegate, tial Q bov, top speed "street" manifold,down pipe and dump tube, greddy boost controller, siemens deka #61 injectorz, stage 4 bully clutch way to much more to list
Instagram @o_so_slo
(02-14-2011, 05:57 AM)Krusty Driver Wrote: Just a side question, since you work with MBRP, I've got some one local who's selling his catback exhaust except he's got the Zetec from an '03. I've got the identical car to yours and was wondering if it would fit?
Also, don't forget a Steeda STS, first mod I made. I went with the Ford Racing suspension kit 1.5". Rides nice.

Hey about your cat back... The zetec system does not fit onto the duratc engine due to different cat placements.... Sorry... And steeda STS???
I'm just going to through something out there.
Do sticky tires/suspension first. Take the car to a couple lapping/autocross events. Learn to drive it first before give it retarded power to the front wheels and get the torque steer while at it.
SVT brakes is not even that much of a good upgrade if you just DD your car around city or village Hunstville. Those disk brakes will show themselves at track.
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
Driving to my fiances and was thinking WTF is an sts and it came to me haha... Short throw shifter!!! Was already thinkin of the cfm sts? What's the dif? Heard the cfm is pretty much the stock shifter cut down... Whereas the steeda actually moves the pivot point for the shifting cable actually making it a shorter shift range? Any light on this?
Doin the rear drums to rotors mostly for looks!! If you have open rims on a car you don't wanna be showing some ugly drum brakes when you can toss on a nice set of shiny discs!!
But ya I see your idea with the suspension and tires... Def gonna be doin that... Before I toss a turbo in
You can really feel the difference in the throw of the shifter. Definately shorter & quicker.
An SVT rear disc swap will be a huge improvement over stock in any situation Nik. Tracking or DD. Trust me. I've done it to my daily driver. Biggest improvement I have done to my car. The rear drums on the focus are s**t.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
are you sure about statement zetec catback does not fit duratec?
i had 2 1/4" mbrp and myself put onto 05+ 2.0l duratec and only modification i had to do was to grind off nipple on flange on duratec catalyc converter
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
(02-14-2011, 12:36 PM)konafocuswrc Wrote: are you sure about statement zetec catback does not fit duratec?
i had 2 1/4" mbrp and myself put onto 05+ 2.0l duratec and only modification i had to do was to grind off nipple on flange on duratec catalyc converter

Hmmm... I dunno that doesn't seem right? I'll look at our plans on Monday but we never made a 2.25" system... And I also believe there are slightly dif degree bends?! I'll check it out! Thanks for the info... There might be something with the zx3 systems? I dunno haha... They were already discontinued when I started buy I've studied the plans haha!?
(02-14-2011, 11:48 AM)Focus man. Focus. Wrote: An SVT rear disc swap will be a huge improvement over stock in any situation Nik. Tracking or DD. Trust me. I've done it to my daily driver. Biggest improvement I have done to my car. The rear drums on the focus are s**t.

AGREE!!! just changed my rear drums on my 01 sedan... Also had to change the brake cylinder and disconnect the e-brake cuz of the lines seizing cuz the salt!! It's auto so no biggy!
it was back in 2005 when i was in california, i had 2 1/4" 2nd version w resonator and it was for zetec.
i sold that to my buddy who owns 05 duratec zx3 and i installed for him, so i remember correct.
and i bought svt 2 1/2" to complete svt exhaust conversion.
don't bother with an intake or a haeder if you're going to actually get a turbo as it'll replace them anyway. stick with handling for the time being, the focus ain't go ball of fire unless you have boost. a nice mod is the ford edge rear wiper swap.

NOS2GO4ME had a 2.25'' mbrp system, so you guys did make one.
Little bit of show, little bit of go.
(02-15-2011, 04:37 AM)Spinal Wrote: don't bother with an intake or a haeder if you're going to actually get a turbo as it'll replace them anyway. stick with handling for the time being, the focus ain't go ball of fire unless you have boost. a nice mod is the ford edge rear wiper swap.

NOS2GO4ME had a 2.25'' mbrp system, so you guys did make one.

That musta been when they started the systems... See you do learn something new haha! Thanks for the tips.

(02-14-2011, 12:36 PM)konafocuswrc Wrote: are you sure about statement zetec catback does not fit duratec?
Just took a look at the plans for the duratec and zetec systems... The only difference in the two is the resonator pipe!! The duratec has a shorter length!