Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resetting the check engine light
It came back on again, as well with my check fuel cap light.

first time it did it i changefd the cap and light went away, later on the light came back on, stayed on for 3 weeks then I got a CEL.

At that time, dan cleared it for me.

earlier this year when I had the battery done, the light and cel were back on but when the battery got changed the codes were forgotten/deleted/erased.

now, they're back again. fuel cap on the way to work, cel on the way back the next day ( so two trips in the mean time)

so... i just wanna reset it again, so when disconnecting the battery - is it the pos or the neg to clear the pcm memory?
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
either terminal will shut off the power and clear the memory...but dont u wanna know why its on??...i got a code reader but im in toronto...hopefully someone *cough cough* Kev...starts up the massiv monday meets soon!....i miss the focus community!!! i got lots of new mods to show off Big Grin
PPSSSSSSSSSTTTTT......CHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

2000 Black zx3-daily driver> Stealth bomber
custom "bigman" turbo, all Black everything, SVT blue interior,
SVT suspension, Magnaflow exhaust, AEM gauges
2000 Yellow ZX3...stock with MRBP exhaust...
1979 Mercury Capri 5.0 swap (work in progress)
2002 focus SE-wrecked/scraped/parted out RIP
1993 Vw Passat 1.9L tdi...das diesel sipper sold parted RIP
1993 mazda B2600 4x4 POS, parted, rusted to pieces
1990 Toyota 4runner 4x4 mud beast
i have a code reader aswell...i work near to the monday meet location...
If you need a code read, gimmie a yell. Always happy to help.

NefCanuck
I appreciate the offer guys, but I moved to Ottawa at the end of August last summer... might be a bit of a far reach for me to get any of you to read the code for me Tongue
we can use skype...lol
(04-19-2011, 11:33 AM)Mystake Wrote: I appreciate the offer guys, but I moved to Ottawa at the end of August last summer... might be a bit of a far reach for me to get any of you to read the code for me Tongue

Hi, I have a code reader, and it allows you to reset the CEL. I am located in Carp (just west of Ottawa). Let me know if I can help.

Bob

(04-19-2011, 11:54 AM)duckcanuck Wrote:
(04-19-2011, 11:33 AM)Mystake Wrote: I appreciate the offer guys, but I moved to Ottawa at the end of August last summer... might be a bit of a far reach for me to get any of you to read the code for me Tongue

Hi, I have a code reader, and it allows you to reset the CEL. I am located in Carp (just west of Ottawa). Let me know if I can help.

Bob

Oh yeah? Hmm... would there be any way of catching you when you're closer to the city?
i got a small mac handheld we could use. Buy me a coffee and we can call it even Big Grin
FSWERKS Race Exhaust, H&R Race Springs, HID all around
(04-26-2011, 09:08 AM)Mystake Wrote:
(04-19-2011, 11:54 AM)duckcanuck Wrote: Hi, I have a code reader, and it allows you to reset the CEL. I am located in Carp (just west of Ottawa). Let me know if I can help.

Bob

Oh yeah? Hmm... would there be any way of catching you when you're closer to the city?

Sure, I don't come in every day, but I'm sure we can connect. What area you in?

Bob

I'm near Carleton Uni. On a day that would work for us both, just let me know where you are so I could come to you.
(04-27-2011, 12:20 AM)duckcanuck Wrote:
(04-26-2011, 09:08 AM)Mystake Wrote:
(04-19-2011, 11:54 AM)duckcanuck Wrote: Hi, I have a code reader, and it allows you to reset the CEL. I am located in Carp (just west of Ottawa). Let me know if I can help.

Bob

Sure, I don't come in every day, but I'm sure we can connect. What area you in?

Bob

Didn't see this;

(04-26-2011, 11:11 AM)xXCMGXx Wrote: i got a small mac handheld we could use. Buy me a coffee and we can call it even Big Grin

whats this you're talking about? and also what area you live in?
now more than before, i need a code reader... lol

today the abs light and the traction control lights came on. shut the car down, wait 20 minutes, start up and its all off again. drive 200 feet... back on.

jacked the car up once i was at home and the rear wheel bearing is considerably worse than before and there is noise as the wheel turns.

could it be related?
also, what is the 'danger zone' for bad wheel bearings? like I said i've got more play in the wheel than before. i just need to get to work and back for a couple more weeks...
(04-30-2011, 06:57 AM)Mystake Wrote: now more than before, i need a code reader... lol

today the abs light and the traction control lights came on. shut the car down, wait 20 minutes, start up and its all off again. drive 200 feet... back on.

jacked the car up once i was at home and the rear wheel bearing is considerably worse than before and there is noise as the wheel turns.

could it be related?
also, what is the 'danger zone' for bad wheel bearings? like I said i've got more play in the wheel than before. i just need to get to work and back for a couple more weeks...

Could be related if your abs sensor or abs wheel is also buggered. But IIRC a code reader won't help you with ABS light.

The last time I had both ABS and TC lights on I had to pay the dealer 100 bucks to tell me what it was (I have a code reader - no codes from the OBDII) ... it ended up being real bad news ... it was the ABS computer on the master brake control valve, and they won't sell you a new computer - you have to buy the whole unit - IIRC correctly they quoted me 1400.00 to fix.

I'm not saying that this is what ails you ... but
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
(04-30-2011, 08:30 AM)ZTWsquared Wrote:
(04-30-2011, 06:57 AM)Mystake Wrote: now more than before, i need a code reader... lol

could it be related?

Could be related if your abs sensor or abs wheel is also buggered. But IIRC a code reader won't help you with ABS light.

The last time I had both ABS and TC lights on I had to pay the dealer 100 bucks to tell me what it was (I have a code reader - no codes from the OBDII) ... it ended up being real bad news ... it was the ABS computer on the master brake control valve, and they won't sell you a new computer - you have to buy the whole unit - IIRC correctly they quoted me 1400.00 to fix.

I'm not saying that this is what ails you ... but

but with the luck I've had with this car... who knows?

I have noticed for some time lately, especially on certain days that the front right brakes are more... 'grabby' and stronger and that at times the car would lean to the front right under braking due to it.

No clue if it's related, or if it's maybe something that got tweaked from hitting a snow bank earlier this winter?

I hope it's not too serious...
edit: I also said code reader as I checked in my with my step dad (Who had internet access) into what the causes were as I had pulled over. He said he was reading something about needing a code reader to find out what the problem really was - I just assumed he meant a cel code reader.
im in orleans, if you want to check out your abs light i could grab my IDS (ford dealer computer) and see whats what. That might cost more than a coffee tho!
how much are we talking here?
$25 Where are you located? While we scan we can check out your wheel bearing too
pm'd (5char min limit)
since we got on the topic of my ABS system... today I could hear what sounds like a mix between a tin rattle and sparks.
Also, today while sitting in my parking lot coming back from a drive there was a ticking coming from the engine. rev's go up, so did the speed of the tick. I pushed the clutch it and the ticking went away. Haven't been able to reproduce it since.

I've got a bad feeling about all this :\
hey bud you still good to help? Kinda need it more than ever now otherwise by tomorrow morning it goes to the stealership.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Check Engine Light KillaCamST 16 5,954 04-09-2010, 04:51 AM
Last Post: KillaCamST
  Check Gas Cap Light sonic_mikey 11 12,554 01-23-2010, 04:35 AM
Last Post: sonic_mikey
  Check Fuel Cap Light On NefCanuck 9 5,411 01-31-2006, 03:25 AM
Last Post: NefCanuck