Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goodridge Ss Brake Lines + Ate Brake Fluid
changed the SS brake lines and ATE super blue brake fluid the other day (used to have stock lines and subaru OEM brake fluid)

brake fluid linky

brake lines linky

the rest of my brake setup is brembo blank OE replacement rotors front and rear, brembo 'sport' brake pads front and hawk hps rear.. calipers are stock the '02 WRX stuff

i haven't hammered on the car yet since the install but just driving around on the street i honestly can't notice that much of a difference. also, i changed the lines and bled the brakes at the same time with a different fluid, so i can't isolate whether or not what i notice (slightly better 'response'.. ie i hit the brakes and i feel the 'grab' a teeny bit faster than before) is due to line or rotors or both

the lines cost be $100 for the part and $150 for the install and brake flush, the fluid was like $12 for 1L bottle (which was enough for the flush)

EDIT: added cliff notes + recommendation

all in all, i don't think this mod is worthwhile for casual drivers who are street/autocross only. i'll update you guys once i have a lapping school with this setup under my belt
I changed to the Goodridge SS lines on the Marauder last spring, and replaced stock fluid with DOT 4 Prestone. At Dunneville Autodrome the brakes lasted much longer than the previous year with better feel and much less fade near the end of the day.
I feel this is a great performance mod if you are going to spend some time on a road course, but for the street OE is just as good.

KVR Performance in Ottawa
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
CanadaSVT,Jan 28 2008, 12:58 PM Wrote:I changed to the Goodridge SS lines on the Marauder last spring, and replaced stock fluid with DOT 4 Prestone.  At Dunneville Autodrome the brakes lasted much longer than the previous year with better feel and much less fade near the end of the day.

[right][snapback]256931[/snapback][/right]

question.. how much power are you making and when was the last time you flushed your brake fluid? perhaps you experienced fade because you didn't have fresh fluid?

naz,Jan 28 2008, 02:22 PM Wrote:
CanadaSVT,Jan 28 2008, 12:58 PM Wrote:I changed to the Goodridge SS lines on the Marauder last spring, and replaced stock fluid with DOT 4 Prestone.  At Dunneville Autodrome the brakes lasted much longer than the previous year with better feel and much less fade near the end of the day.

[right][snapback]256931[/snapback][/right]

question.. how much power are you making and when was the last time you flushed your brake fluid? perhaps you experienced fade because you didn't have fresh fluid?
[right][snapback]256950[/snapback][/right]

Power is 325. The car was 7 months old when I took it to Shannonville and experienced huge brake fade and peddle travel by the end of the day. Replaced fluid with DOT 3 and had the same problems at Dunnville the next year.
BTW the car is 4475lbs with me driving, and that's even after I take out the two baby seats :lol:
In '07 with the current setup at Dunnville I could modulate the brake peddle hauling it down for turn 1 and it was very much less scary then before. Fun chasing down little Civics without having to worry too much about bouncing them off the track at every corner.
CanadaSVT,Jan 28 2008, 08:35 PM Wrote:Power is 325.  The car was 7 months old when I took it to Shannonville and experienced huge brake fade and peddle travel by the end of the day.  Replaced fluid with DOT 3 and had the same problems at Dunnville the next year.
BTW the car is 4475lbs with me driving, and that's even after I take out the two baby seats  :lol:
In '07 with the current setup at Dunnville I could modulate the brake peddle hauling it down for turn 1 and it was very much less scary then before.  Fun chasing down little Civics without having to worry too much about bouncing them off the track at every corner.
[right][snapback]256955[/snapback][/right]

:lol:

i TOTALLY missed the part about the car being a marauder. YEA i can totally see how SS lines would help.. your car has to be MUCH harder on the brakes than my ~3400lb subaru.

it would be awesome to have a marauder in the same run group.. i bet some honda owners thought the 5.0 was behind them on the track :P
I thought SS lines have nothing to do with brake fade??
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
D-Dub,Jan 28 2008, 09: Wrote:I thought SS lines have nothing to do with brake fade??
[right][snapback]256959[/snapback][/right]

my guess is his switch to DOT 4 fluid helped fade b/c of higher dry boiling point / less hygroscopic fluid (ie his brake fluid didn't boil)

and his switch to SS lines helped feel because he was hammering on the stock lines so much they were expanding

i guess my prev post should have said " i can totally see how SS lines and different brake fluid would help
naz,Jan 28 2008, 04:00 PM Wrote::lol:

i TOTALLY missed the part about the car being a marauder.  YEA i can totally see how SS lines would help.. your car has to be MUCH harder on the brakes than my ~3400lb subaru. 

Yep, after six laps at Dunnville I could park it, walk around the car and the front left brake would still be smoking.

The ss lines are great with no downside....yet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Motive Brake Bleeder hardk0re 3 2,818 06-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Last Post: hardk0re
  First Drive: Carbotech Panther Plus Brake Pads naz 5 2,670 04-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Last Post: naz