Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emissions Test Coming Up!
So wife's '02 is up for emissions testing. No mods or anything of course, unless you count a stuffed animal on the dash.

Of course, I don't know a damned thing about this. Neither does she.

And we have to do it before we leave for vacation, which is next Friday, because her birthday happens when we're away (which I guess is when it has to be tested by?).

I searched around here, but didn't really come up with much of anything.

I'm guessing make sure the plugs/wires/filters are up to par, but is there anything else that should be checked? (I have no idea when those were last changed, except the filter, which I got when I got the airbox from Nik).

Thanks guys!
:lol:
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
Those are the biggies. Another trick is to make sure that you arrive for the test within a few minutes of the scheduled time (and if they say more than 1 hour wait, drive away and come back later)

Reason for this being is that a car that's fully warmed up invariably tests out better than a stone cold one (Not that an '02 should have any issues, but every little bit helps)

See you Saturday ;)

NefCanuck
Never hurts to run a bottle of cleaner through the gas the week before. :D
2000 ZX3
when i sold u the airbox the filter in it was farely new....by now u should defenetly change it.....i donno if u want but u can try some of that "Pass E test" liqued that u add into your tank......
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
Thanks for the tips! Looks like its time to get dirty on Sunday.

After replacing 2 sets of brakes, fixing a dent in the neighbor's van, and last weekend's front end swap on a 95 Jetta (to Golf front end), the neighbors are going to start thinking I run a garage on her driveway.
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
Oil change maybe as well? Keep her hot too, the car..... not the wife, although a hot wife is always a good idea B)
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
check your tires. tread on the front 2 tiresneeds to be 3 32 seconds or more (roughly 3 mm). no bumps in the sidewall of the front 2 tires(i am assuming this car is a focus. if it is a rear wheel drive car however then check the rear tires). if there is any corrosion around where the gas cap seals then they wont test it. and if you have any excessive leaks from say like coolant or tranny or even oil then they wont test it. if you have any major noises in the front end, they wont test it or even if the engine is ticking or something.

i am a certified emissions test inspector so if you have any questions then feel free to pm me. but as NefCanuck said, an 02 should have much of a problem.
phased_focus,Aug 7 2007, 07:26 PM Wrote:check your tires. tread on the front 2 tiresneeds to be 3 32 seconds or more (roughly 3 mm). no bumps in the sidewall of the front 2 tires(i am assuming this car is a focus. if it is a rear wheel drive car however then check the rear tires). if there is any corrosion around where the gas cap seals then they wont test it. and if you have any excessive leaks from say like coolant or tranny or even oil then they wont test it. if you have any major noises in the front end, they wont test it or even if the engine is ticking or something.

i am a certified emissions test inspector so if you have any questions then feel free to pm me. but as NefCanuck said, an 02 should have much of a problem.
[right][snapback]246009[/snapback][/right]

thats pretty hardcore.....i've never seen them do it around here....
125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
thats what should be checked
exhaust leak is obvious, they will reject it.

but there is a lot of stuff that needs to be done before its even run
Here are my results. All I did was change the plugs and clean the K&N. I think my car did very well. Mine is an 02 as well.
My E-Test results.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
give her a good tune and she should pass with flying colors, especially when you say thier is no mods!

Make sure to drop it off, Hot Hot hot!!
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Aug 8 2007, 08:41 AM Wrote:give her a good tune and she should pass with flying colors, especially when you say thier is no mods!

[right][snapback]246037[/snapback][/right]

The only real reason you would fail is if there was somthing wrong with the car.
Exhaust leak, Faulty ERG valve, PCV valve ( Change that at some point BTW and inspect your Air Filter)

If the car is running good you have a 90%chance of passing.
Unless you have an exhaust leak or your Cat is shot for what ever reason... Thats the 10% :lol:
2000 ZX3
Mason,Aug 8 2007, 09:59 AM Wrote:
Flofocus,Aug 8 2007, 08:41 AM Wrote:give her a good tune and she should pass with flying colors, especially when you say thier is no mods!

[right][snapback]246037[/snapback][/right]

The only real reason you would fail is if there was somthing wrong with the car.
[right][snapback]246047[/snapback][/right]

really? No, i mean REALLY???? :lol:
Todd,

my car is an 02 as well. no mods other than Volant I bloew almost zero on everything.

you'll be fine.

Also, according to Meford's son, the whole hot cat thing is a myth.
ANTHONYD,Aug 8 2007, 11:04 AM Wrote:Also, according to Meford's son, the whole hot cat thing is a myth.
[right][snapback]246057[/snapback][/right]

That I can say is BS. It does make a difference with a hot cat. I had 4 etest, 3 failed, 1 was wayyyyyyy out of wach and they let the car sit for a while and ran it for only a couple of minutes before putting on the dyno. All other tests that I sat in the parking lot waiting idling (after a good 1 hour run hitting boost as much as possible) failed by very little. Very little, you can search for some of my results. I would pass everything except CO2, which was failling by very little hwn I was waiting.

One thing I can say, is that these etest are not consistent at all...I went to 3 different places to get my car done in one day, and ALL had VERY different results. Etesting is a huge scam.

Now that I think about it....maybe he is right...since all of teh machines showed such different results, no matter what I changed/did.
:lol:

I know it's true how inconsistant they are.

jen's car failed once, I went made a few little changes (o2 sensor) and it passed. The next year it failed under the same codes. I changed the oil and vaccuumed out the air filter....passed.

hmm makes no sence. :rolleyes:

Flofocus,Aug 8 2007, 11:45 AM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Aug 8 2007, 11:04 AM Wrote:Also, according to Meford's son, the whole hot cat thing is a myth.
[right][snapback]246057[/snapback][/right]

That I can say is BS. It does make a difference with a hot cat. I had 4 etest, 3 failed, 1 was wayyyyyyy out of wach and they let the car sit for a while and ran it for only a couple of minutes before putting on the dyno. All other tests that I sat in the parking lot waiting idling (after a good 1 hour run hitting boost as much as possible) failed by very little. Very little, you can search for some of my results. I would pass everything except CO2, which was failling by very little hwn I was waiting.

One thing I can say, is that these etest are not consistent at all...I went to 3 different places to get my car done in one day, and ALL had VERY different results. Etesting is a huge scam.

Now that I think about it....maybe he is right...since all of teh machines showed such different results, no matter what I changed/did.
[right][snapback]246061[/snapback][/right]
Well, I just passed my emission test today!

I ran it hot for a good half hour before the test and it may have had an influence.

What I have:

2000 ZX3

Cone filter (freshly cleaned and oiled)
FC TB
JRSC
SVT header kit (including revised EGR tube - connected)
Random Technologies high flow cat located after the SVT header and before the high flow flex with all O2 sensors connected properly with extended connectors
2.5" exhaust
9mm spark plug wires
original spark plugs (with 70000km, oops forgot to change them after I pulled out the colder Ford copper plugs that only lasted about 25K km)
fresh Mobile1 synthetic oil
101000 km on the clock
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
yeah i dont see a problem with the guys that have SC's. You guys keep most of the emission equipment, so that is good.

DB, Pass with flying colors ?
Flofocus,Aug 8 2007, 12:57 PM Wrote:yeah i dont see a problem with the guys that have SC's.  You guys keep most of the emission equipment, so that is good.

DB, Pass with flying colors ?
[right][snapback]246084[/snapback][/right]

Most items were below 50% of the limit maximums.
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
dBlast,Aug 8 2007, 12:41 PM Wrote:Well, I just passed my emission test today!

I ran it hot for a good half hour before the test and it may have had an influence.

What I have:

2000 ZX3

Cone filter (freshly cleaned and oiled)
FC TB
JRSC
SVT header kit (including revised EGR tube - connected)
Random Technologies high flow cat located after the SVT header and before the high flow flex with all O2 sensors connected properly with extended connectors
2.5" exhaust
9mm spark plug wires
original spark plugs (with 70000km, oops forgot to change them after I pulled out the colder Ford copper plugs that only lasted about 25K km)
fresh Mobile1 synthetic oil
101000 km on the clock
[right][snapback]246080[/snapback][/right]

u have a wicked set up...even if JRSC.......what are your numbers at the dyno?
125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impending Emissions Test Coming Up.. torradan 19 5,911 11-15-2009, 04:18 AM
Last Post: Laurnnuakdued