Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange Gas Mileage Going On..
Do you guys use a different type of gas/additive up in Canada? Trying to look around, but not coming up with any answers.

After a couple of months of recording my mileage per tank, something is definately weird.

Fill up in the US and drive until the gas light comes on = ~350-360 miles to the tank
Fill up in Canada and drive until the light comes on = ~260-270 miles to the tank.

Thats a pretty big gap.

I always fill up at the same station down here, and always at the same station in Scarborough.
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
That is wierd... What gas station do you go to in Scarborough? I know alot of companies are adding alot of things to make it cheaper but that's usually the no-name places :huh:
~~2000 Midnight Blue 5-speed ZX3~~

~*~Evo 3 Body Kit~*~17'' BSA Gunmetal Black rims~*~Cold Air Intake~*~Angel Eye Projector Headlights~*~7'' Yellow Fog Lights~*~Tinted Altezza Tails~*~PINK Underglow~*~

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it.
Always fill up at the Esso on Birchmount & Sheppard.
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
There goes my theory... :blink:

~~2000 Midnight Blue 5-speed ZX3~~

~*~Evo 3 Body Kit~*~17'' BSA Gunmetal Black rims~*~Cold Air Intake~*~Angel Eye Projector Headlights~*~7'' Yellow Fog Lights~*~Tinted Altezza Tails~*~PINK Underglow~*~

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it.
Try running on Sunoco for a month. :) Not that the difference is noticeable in my Focus, when I had the Ranger, it was like night and day.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
Unlike the US, Canadian gas contains up to 10% ethanol. While the ECU adjusts, the gas mileage suffers.

So no, it's not you.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
Ah ok.. so my ECU is probably going crazy adjusting constantly.

Now I'm REALLY scratching my head -- and wondering if maybe this is why my car is running a bit on the rich side.
--
Team PITA
yeah my mileage ranges quite a bit, i normally get around 420kms befor the gas light comes on ,but i have gotten as low as 375kms, and as high as 520
Intake?

New Throttle Body?

Maybe your just in more of hurry?

Maybe the car is just getting older?

How is your tire pressure?

Driving home with the windows open?

---------------------------------------------

Toss in a tank of midline Sunoco gas. My car runs like crap unless I have Sunoco in it.
your problem is the 401 :( .
2001 SE Sedan
gas mileage King of FocusCanada!

760.8km on 45L
^^^yup could be :lol:
I get better mileage on US gas. 50 km a tank at least.
what are the octanes in US and canada?

Are you filling up with 87 at both places?

"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

can't escape the 401 :( thats when i get the best mileage though, on my way up, when its a parking lot! the 401 on the way home is a ghost town.

no change in driving habits, lead foot no matter what, windows cracked always, intake the same, no TB, tire pressure checked regularly, sitting at 32psi.

and yeah, using 87 at both places
--
Team PITA
lol. remember what i was saying about the s***ty canadian gas last month :|
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
Now that you mention it, yeah.
--
Team PITA
mo_focus,Sep 6 2006, 05:32 PM Wrote:what are the octanes in US and canada?

Are you filling up with 87 at both places?
[right][snapback]205815[/snapback][/right]
Yes
scoobasteve,Sep 6 2006, 06:49 PM Wrote:lol. remember what i was saying about the s***ty canadian gas last month :|
[right][snapback]205823[/snapback][/right]

Y'know...come to think of it.

I noticed it too.
Yep... for example. Superchips wont sell a 91 octane tune to canada anymore for the 300c. because the bad gas is blowing peoples engines...
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
scoobasteve,Sep 7 2006, 02:28 PM Wrote:Yep... for example.  Superchips wont sell a 91 octane tune to canada anymore for the 300c. because the bad gas is blowing peoples engines...
[right][snapback]205919[/snapback][/right]

Something that isnt cool, is the difference in gas between Ontario and New Brunswick. My friend bought an '04 Accord in Ontario, everything was perfect on it. When he brought it back here, put Irving gas in it, and things started screwing up, poor mileage, hard revving, ecu was all over the place. He took i tto the Honda dealership, and after cleaning everything out, it seemed to work fine. They realized where it came from and told him he had to replace certain parts to account for our fuel. He did not believe them, and put the gas back in, within a couple days, same problem. He took it back, and they told him to go away. they will not warranty the car if he deliberately tries to damge it (Irving gas).
Long story short, he replaced the parts, and he hasnt had a problem since.