Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Got Back From My E-test
Not sure where to put this or if anyone cares but I just got back and my car passed but by narrowest of margins.

[Image: IMG_7183.jpg]

For reference I have an OBX 4-2-1 Header and car sound universal cat. for any of you guys that might have something similar and be up for an E-Test soon.
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
That CO2 number is... disturbing 'cause it generally gets worse as the car ages :(

NefCanuck
mind you I didn't disable the rear o2 they had the car sitting for a good 10 minutes not sure if that helps or not?

I went to the kiosk to get my stickers and the kiosk didn't ask for the e-test results... does the testing center send that off for you right after the test or did I just waste my $30+
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
nass,Jun 12 2006, 08:58 PM Wrote:mind you I didn't disable the rear o2 they had the car sitting for a good 10 minutes not sure if that helps or not?

I went to the kiosk to get my stickers and the kiosk didn't ask for the e-test results... does the testing center send that off for you right after the test or did I just waste my $30+
[right][snapback]192723[/snapback][/right]
I thought the same thing until the boy straightened me out. The shop that did your e-test sends the results to the ministry via the interweeeeb.

So that's why they didn't ask for it. They knew. Just like Big Brotha
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
ahhhhh so it makes sense now. This must be a new thing then cause 2 years ago it asked for the number from my e-test.

damn 407 had some charges on there for me..... :(
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Change the coolant temp sensor for the ECU and you will probably see much much better numbers.
there is an issue with control there.... on an unmodified car usually it is a combo between a lazy o2 and mis-reading ECT sensors.

also, do you have a tune of any kind on the car right now?
if you do, i would hazzard to guess that is also a big part of the problem. if not, o2 and ECT are the culprits.

out here we get a drive-trace with our Aircare(e-test) so we can see how the car is functioning at different times in the test... very helpful info.

the test they run, is it just a static 3000rpm cruise or something??
Out here we have a varriable load and speed test for all cars 92+ and older cars have an idle and 40km/h pull.

Nass, can you please tell me... did they actually look at the VIN on your dashboard or the sticker in the door jamb and compare it to... whatever papers you give them (green slip?)?
Hey, where did you put the cat with the OBX header? In the flex?

nass,Jun 12 2006, 10:15 PM Wrote:Not sure where to put this or if anyone cares but I just got back and my car passed but by narrowest of margins.

For reference I have an OBX 4-2-1 Header and car sound universal cat. for any of you guys that might have something similar and be up for an E-Test soon.
[right][snapback]192696[/snapback][/right]
DadsToy,Jun 13 2006, 10:06 PM Wrote:Hey, where did you put the cat with the OBX header?  In the flex?
[right][snapback]192893[/snapback][/right]

Most people just have a section of their exhaust cut out and a cat welded in there.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

[/quote]

Most people just have a section of their exhaust cut out and a cat welded in there.
[right][snapback]192894[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Maybe that's what I'll do. I've been thinking about a header but won't do it without a cat and putting one in the flex pipe just seems like too much work. But if folks are getting reasonable emission numbers after the flex, that's OK with me.

Mind you, cutting my MBRP would be sad.
P-51,Jun 13 2006, 10: Wrote:Nass, can you please tell me... did they actually look at the VIN on your dashboard or the sticker in the door jamb and compare it to... whatever papers you give them (green slip?)?
[right][snapback]192857[/snapback][/right]

The tech took a scanner and scanned the bar code on the driver's door. All I gave him was the sticker renewal papers and that's it.

hope that helps?
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
DadsToy,Jun 14 2006, 02:06 AM Wrote:Hey, where did you put the cat with the OBX header?  In the flex?

[right][snapback]192893[/snapback][/right]

yeah I have it right after the flex. Here is a picture for reference:

[Image: IMG_6984.jpg]

***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Yeah, that does help... looks like my plan wouldn't work. :(

I didn't realize there was a barcode there. Hell, I didn't even realize there was a VIN sticker.

Looks like I might have to weld a cat into the exhaust. Nice to know if would fit like yours. But I'm worried it'll just fall apart with the heat from trackdays.
P-51,Jun 18 2006, 02: Wrote:Yeah, that does help... looks like my plan wouldn't work. :(

I didn't realize there was a barcode there.  Hell, I didn't even realize there was a VIN sticker.

Looks like I might have to weld a cat into the exhaust.  Nice to know if would fit like yours.  But I'm worried it'll just fall apart with the heat from trackdays.
[right][snapback]193727[/snapback][/right]

Good question I have no idea how it would hold up with your track days but if you make a nice thick weld it should hold up well I'd think.
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Rob,
Vibrant sells nice 3/8" thick 3 bolt flanges and gaskets.
get yourself 6 of them.
flange the cat at both ends
cut the exhaust pipe the exact lenght of the cat, reused the pipe and flange the pipe at both ends and then flange the exhaust on either side to make it so you can install the cat for the street and the test pipe for the track
if you do it right, it wont take you more than 15mins to swap the pipes at the track and all you would have to do is jack up on side.

that is what we did...

nass,Jun 17 2006, 06:50 PM Wrote:yeah I have it right after the flex. Here is a picture for reference:

[right][snapback]193643[/snapback][/right]

Thanks. That helps. Pictures worth a .....
Mitch, I was thinking about something just like that. Only, wouldn't your solution result in a stubby little tube section between the flex and the cat? I was thinking of just getting some 2 bolt flanges that match the stock Ford ones. Then I just cut the Borla and weld a flange at each end, and then flanges on the ends of the cat, and Voila!

Only, I don't know where to get them. Are they a stock item?

Canadian Tire has universal "high flow" cats for $100, and idea which is better, Vibrant or Magnaflow?

Another thing to consider, since I'm speed density, I'll need to retune. :(

I wonder if the cat would live on a trackday anyway? It wouldn't get as hot back there as it would when close coupled. WRC cars run cats, but all the way back at the tailpipe.

My other option is to take off the turbo and put the stock cat back on, let the engine suck through the open intercooler charge tube, and retune just enough to pass the test.

Nass: I'm kinda surprised you passed by the skin of your teeth. What other mods do you have?

I wonder if I actually have any hope considering how much more modded my engine is. (42lb injectors). If your cat wasn't hot, yeah, that hurts.
P-51,Jun 23 2006, 01: Wrote:Nass: I'm kinda surprised you passed by the skin of your teeth.  What other mods do you have?

[right][snapback]194828[/snapback][/right]

I didn't have my rear o2 sensor disabled and they had my car sit there for 10+ mins before the test. It could be more than those 2 things but I don't know??

If you want to get yourself a cat check out http://www.hottexhaust.com cheap prices and free shipping.
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
What does rear o2 not disabled to with anything?
I have to get my etest done soon also. I have a 2.5" vibrant high flow cat thats been sitting in a box for over two years now. :lol:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]