FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Patt Quinn Fired.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Maple Leafs fire head coach Pat Quinn

Pat Quinn

TSN.ca Staff
4/20/2006 10:49:47 AM
Head coach Pat Quinn has become the first to pay the price for the Toronto Maple Leafs failure to qualify for the Stanley Cup playoffs.

The team has fired Quinn and assistant coach Rick Ley, four days after the Maple Leafs were officially eliminated from the playoffs.

The Maple Leafs concluded a disappointing 41-33-8 season, failing to qualify for the playoffs for the first time since Quinn took over in 1998-99.

The news comes amid increasing reports that a front office power struggle was developing between general manager John Ferguson Jr. and Quinn.

Quinn, 63, had another year remaining on his contract.

No immediate replacement was named but former NHL coach Paul Maurice, who was hired by Ferguson to caoch the AHL Marlies this past season, is the most likely candidate to take over.

Details to follow.
I think everyone seen this coming but it's still a shock.... but someone had to go.
ANTHONYD,Apr 20 2006, 11:57 AM Wrote:Maple Leafs fire head coach Pat Quinn
[right][snapback]182331[/snapback][/right]
No surprise really ... but Ferguson should have fired himself while he was at it -- this team has no future with this guy IMO.
Quinn this year, ferguson next year. The leafs aren't run to win hockey games, they're run to make money.

If the leafs ever wanna win a cup again, they need to get a GM thats got experience building championship contenders, not a rookie GM.
Well, its a start...got alot more people to go.
FociPhil,Apr 20 2006, 12:05 PM Wrote:Well, its a start...got alot more people to go.
[right][snapback]182336[/snapback][/right]

yeah...like Tucker. Actually, dont let him play at all.
give domi the c.
FociPhil,Apr 20 2006, 10:05 AM Wrote:Well, its a start...got alot more people to go.

Well said! :)
Flofocus,Apr 20 2006, 12:11 PM Wrote:
FociPhil,Apr 20 2006, 12:05 PM Wrote:Well, its a start...got alot more people to go.

yeah...like Tucker. Actually, dont let him play at all.
[right][snapback]182340[/snapback][/right]

Agree...
A good start for sure, get rid of Sundin, Domi and Antropov. Clean house of all the old guys and who ever decided that signing Lindros was a good idea should get the toss as well.
i saw this coming a month ago... oh well, as long as it helps out the future of the maple leafs, why not..
Euro Ford Fan,Apr 20 2006, 04:24 PM Wrote:A good start for sure, get rid of Sundin, Domi and Antropov.  Clean house of all the old guys and who ever decided that signing Lindros was a good idea should get the toss as well.
[right][snapback]182347[/snapback][/right]

Ferguson should be the "fall guy" for the signing *uckups. I think he should be right behind Quinn as they exit the bldg !! Get a real GM - how he survives I don't know ??
In the paper this morning it was mentioned that Quinn gets paid his final year's salary even if he gets another coaching job (which it is heavily rumoured that he is going to Vancouver). This is unique in that usually they don't have to pay in that situation.

Or so the paper claims.
Euro Ford Fan is right with Sundin, Domi and Antropov. Wow, do those guys ever need to go. There's a lot more to go, and Belfour is another.

Why, oh why would Vancouver want Quinn? I think he's just done. Needs to retire or something.
adam,Apr 20 2006, 11:35 AM Wrote:In the paper this morning it was mentioned that Quinn gets paid his final year's salary even if he gets another coaching job (which it is heavily rumoured that he is going to Vancouver). This is unique in that usually they don't have to pay in that situation.

Or so the paper claims.
[right][snapback]182353[/snapback][/right]

Actualy they do, most coaches get the full term of their contract even if they are let go before it ends. If they do take a job with another team that other team will pay back a % of what is left remaining to the team.
Press Conference @ 1pm on Rogers Sportsnet for those that wanna watch.
quinn was better suited as a GM. I agree that ferguson needs the boot for various reasons/desisions.

One of my goals in life are to witness the leafs win the cup. I will be 27 soon and plan to live until 80. So that's roughly 53 years I have to wait.

02ztsian

nass,Apr 20 2006, 11:03 AM Wrote:One of my goals in life are to witness the leafs win the cup. I will be 27 soon and plan to live until 80. So that's roughly 53 years I have to wait.
[right][snapback]182365[/snapback][/right]

I had a similar goal except it included not only the Leafs but the Riders (green!) win the Grey Cup in my lifetime. Guess I'm gonna die half happy.....

P.S. Ted Nolan for the new coach.
02ztsian,Apr 20 2006, 06:14 PM Wrote:
nass,Apr 20 2006, 11:03 AM Wrote:One of my goals in life are to witness the leafs win the cup. I will be 27 soon and plan to live until 80. So that's roughly 53 years I have to wait.
[right][snapback]182365[/snapback][/right]

I had a similar goal except it included not only the Leafs but the Riders (green!) win the Grey Cup in my lifetime. Guess I'm gonna die half happy.....

P.S. Ted Nolan for the new coach.
[right][snapback]182392[/snapback][/right]

A Calgary Native that likes the Sask Roughriders...WOW! never seen that!

I think they gotta scrap everything and start over, coaches, players, management...even the phacking uniforms!!!!!!
WHO SHOULD GO:
----------------------

Antropov
Berg
Domi
Allison
O'neil
Belak
Belfour
Telleqvist
Ponikerovsky(sp?)
as much as I hate Tucker..I can't see why we should ditch him (most heart) so keep him.
Pages: 1 2