FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Brake Light On When Lights On
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
well tonight I went to get gas, I noticed that my brake lights are all on when the lights are on, but get still get brighter when the brake is applied, this includes the 3rd light lighting up too. when the lights are off there is no issue.

any ideas to remidy the problem ?
I'd almost say check the switch for the brake lights down by the pedal, where the pedal connects inside the car should be the switch for the lights. Sounds like it isn't being fully pressed in. Happens in my Dad's 91 caprice.
well like I said the lights get brighter when I push on the brake ( all 3 ), they just stay on even after I take my foot off the brake.

Only when the lights are on.
Short in the wiring, fuse, after that I donno.
Can't be a fuse. If it was a fuse the lights wouldn't be on at all.

Are your running lights on when you turn the lights on? I'm not sure how the sedan works, similar to the hatchback i would assume. The hatchback has a dual filiment bulb, so when the lights are on a dimmer light appears and when you hit the brakes the light gets brighter. Maybe you've just never noticed that before? Sounds like its working the way it should to me.
You have the OEM euro sedan tails don't you? Has to be connection/wiring in that case, pop em out and have a look.
have you changed the bulbs recently? could be the wrong bulbs are in there .. happened to me once in my old car
I guess if anything, judging by your description... you've got the brake filament wired to the running light power lead and vice versa?

If it's bright at all times, and marginally brighter when you step on the brakes... that's where my money is.
Phantom,Mar 15 2006, 01:03 AM Wrote:I'd almost say check the switch for the brake lights down by the pedal, where the pedal connects inside the car should be the switch for the lights. Sounds like it isn't being fully pressed in. Happens in my Dad's 91 caprice.
[right][snapback]174872[/snapback][/right]

This is what happened to me. I had some lady in a VW jetta flashing her high beams at me constantly so I knew there was something wrong. I pulle dover and she told me my brake lights were never turning off.....lol...

Ford had to re assemble a switch on the brake pedal. That was after owning the car for 3 weeks. :lol:
Sounds kinda like that Flo, but the thing is, when the lights are off there is no problem, but when I turn on the parking lights, and full lights the brake / 3rd brake lights all light up somewhat dim, but brighten up when the brake is applied. keep in mind all 3 lights are on.

It only started happening last night after I got gas and turned the car lights on and started to pull out of the parking lot, I thought nothing of it till I noticed in the mirror the rear of my car was showing more red then usual. when I got home I looked at the back of the car all three lights are on, and when the brake applied they get brighter.... I was like ok.... :huh:

I reached up to see if I could feel anything and I really coulden't tell what I was doing, and it's too cold out now to look at the car in the drive way.
3 suggestions.

1) Switch, on the brake pedal is not working... kinda what flo said.
2) Possible relay, not sure if there is indeed one in there somewhere but if you have the euro tails in and never changed the bulbs they might be wired differently
3) pop the NA tails in and see if the problem is still there. That would eliminate the first 2 options.
4) Security module located behind the glove box is known to cause problems like this too, my break lights went completely out, but the third break light was only working, checked fuses, it was not them, it turned out to be a bunk musk security module.
nass,Mar 15 2006, 04:21 PM Wrote:3 suggestions.

1) Switch, on the brake pedal is not working... kinda what flo said.
2) Possible relay, not sure if there is indeed one in there somewhere but if you have the euro tails in and never changed the bulbs they might be wired differently
3) pop the NA tails in and see if the problem is still there. That would eliminate the first 2 options.
[right][snapback]174975[/snapback][/right]

1. I'll check this one out nass thanks.
2. American bulbs don't fit the euro tails and were removed when the lights changed over.
3. I cut the wires and totally removed the light bulbs and holder to fuse the wires to the cercut board on the euro tails as the diagrams all show.

Quote:4) Security module located behind the glove box is known to cause problems like this too, my break lights went completely out, but the third break light was only working, checked fuses, it was not them, it turned out to be a bunk musk security module.

any idea on how to reset this paolo ?
Try unplug the curise control. My brake light always on when my curise control acting up, result in replacing new curise control module.
Black_ZTS,Mar 16 2006, 08:05 PM Wrote:Try unplug the curise control.  My brake light always on when my curise control acting up, result in replacing new curise control module.
[right][snapback]175279[/snapback][/right]

My Car dosen't have Cruise Control installed yet, I have the buttons on the wheel there but nothing else to set it up yet.
Well adding to the problem now, I noticed when the lights are off, or on now the parking lights come on with the brake lights, including the dash lights, or glow a bit brighter when the the brake is applied.

I'm kinda at wits end as to what to try.......... :huh:
Frost__2001,Mar 16 2006, 10:53 PM Wrote:Well adding to the problem now, I noticed when the lights are off, or on now the parking lights come on with the brake lights, including the dash lights, or glow a bit brighter when the the brake is applied.

I'm kinda at wits end as to what to try.......... :huh:
[right][snapback]175321[/snapback][/right]

It deffinatly sound as if there is a short circut somewhere. I would check all the connections you have made to your euro tails. I would have to say check this A.S.A.P. as you don't want anything to melt down. It maybe as simple as a loose ground. My 63 VW tails would act all funny at times and I traced it back to a corroded ground connection.
Did you remember that some euro wiring is backward to north american wiring.....IE black is hot and red is grnd or return for european people. this would cause you some serious and I mean SERIOUS problems to lights and wires.
sounds like a problem with a ground somewhere in the car
well I'm going to try doing changing over the headlight switch back to the american one and see if that solves the problem.

And getting to the Euro Tails, it's american wiring wired to the tail light not European wiring, there is no European wiring in my car cept the kit that came with the ST170 headlights, and it wires to the american using the american wiring.
Pages: 1 2