FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: One Ring To Rule Them All........
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Not even the JAWS OF LIFE can defeat B-pillars on a Sube:

[Image: picture0999se.jpg]
[Image: picture1007ny.jpg]

I guess the question becomes is it too much of a good thing if the FD can't pry open your car? Are you better off in the end with or without the RING. I'm going to go with.
go post this where they care about boxes on wheels

were just here to trash talk the Focus.
meford4u,Feb 22 2006, 09:51 PM Wrote:go post this where they care about boxes on wheels

[right][snapback]171800[/snapback][/right]

I thought everyone could use a break from talking about Dan.

:lol:
2001 ZTS,Feb 22 2006, 09:57 PM Wrote:
meford4u,Feb 22 2006, 09:51 PM Wrote:go post this where they care about boxes on wheels

[right][snapback]171800[/snapback][/right]

I thought everyone could use a break from talking about Dan.

[right][snapback]171801[/snapback][/right]

my hero :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Interesting way for Subby to be doing this. I wonder if any other auto manufacturer pulled something like this.
Maybe Volvo?
I thought it would be cheaper to install a full roll cage than go through all that manufacturing of the ring...

another point for subies.

I wonder about the smart car a and b-pillars...
darkpuppet,Feb 23 2006, 09:44 AM Wrote:I thought it would be cheaper to install a full roll cage than go through all that manufacturing of the ring...

[right][snapback]171838[/snapback][/right]

Was there not a thread about the smart car crash impact?

Apparently it rated very well. But the occupants would have been dead.

What good is a car with a wicked crash rating if you're dead as a doornail?
ANTHONYD,Feb 23 2006, 09:10 AM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Feb 23 2006, 09:44 AM Wrote:I thought it would be cheaper to install a full roll cage than go through all that manufacturing of the ring...

[right][snapback]171838[/snapback][/right]

Was there not a thread about the smart car crash impact?

Apparently it rated very well. But the occupants would have been dead.

What good is a car with a wicked crash rating if you're dead as a doornail?
[right][snapback]171840[/snapback][/right]

yeah... that was top gear once again..

the passenger compartment of a smart is VERY rigid... but they were right, it was a head-on collision with a solid concrete barrier... I don't care what car you're in, a head on with a wall at 70MPH won't end well.
We did a head on with the wall on the 401 at about 110km/h in our 2001 ZTS, and walked away. Doors even opened.

Now, it wasn't 110 to 0... We were cruising about 115 when Tina fell asleep. We fishtailed a few times before hitting, but I don't think we scrubbed much speed. Hit the wall at a 45 degree angle, and it was rolling parallel to the wall at maybe 20-30km after the impact. So I'm guessing 100 to 30 worth of energy was absorbed.

It was hard enough that our suitcases in the trunk bent the rear seatback forward.

The Focsu is a pretty safe car. I know the WRX is even better. But, it's too bad they don't have stability control on the Subbies.

Whever we go on a long trip, we feel safer in the ZTW with Advance Trac.
P-51,Feb 23 2006, 10: Wrote:We did a head on with the wall on the 401 at about 110km/h in our 2001 ZTS, and walked away.  Doors even opened.

Now, it wasn't 110 to 0...  We were cruising about 115 when Tina fell asleep.  We fishtailed a few times before hitting, but I don't think we scrubbed much speed.  Hit the wall at a 45 degree angle, and it was rolling parallel to the wall at maybe 20-30km after the impact.  So I'm guessing 100 to 30 worth of energy was absorbed.

It was hard enough that our suitcases in the trunk bent the rear seatback forward.

The Focsu is a pretty safe car.  I know the WRX is even better.  But, it's too bad they don't have stability control on the Subbies.

[right][snapback]171847[/snapback][/right]

I'm curious... Have you 'tried' any emergency manouvers with the advance trac?

I know it's useless as tits on a bull for auto-x, but wonder if it'd make someone a better driver on the track (much like the evo chasing down a murcielago on a track)... maybe i just get my ass to a track and give it the one-for my self.
P-51,Feb 23 2006, 10: Wrote:We did a head on with the wall on the 401 at about 110km/h in our 2001 ZTS, and walked away.  Doors even opened.

Now, it wasn't 110 to 0...  We were cruising about 115 when Tina fell asleep.  We fishtailed a few times before hitting, but I don't think we scrubbed much speed.  Hit the wall at a 45 degree angle, and it was rolling parallel to the wall at maybe 20-30km after the impact.  So I'm guessing 100 to 30 worth of energy was absorbed.

The Focsu is a pretty safe car.  I know the WRX is even better.  But, it's too bad they don't have stability control on the Subbies.

I really don't like subbies much... for many reasons, mainly being way overpriced... but their awd is far superior to the Focus' trac control... by far. Subaru's are expensive because they know people love their control and won't think twice about paying the difference between competitors.

I agree though, I like the trac control in some snowy situations, even sandy roads... but only for straight aways, if i'm pulling really hard turns the trac control isn't quick enough, or maybe the tires are just pure crap... that I haven't figured out yet.

I don't really like this idea very much, the jaws of life arent very useful anymore, now are they? You've always gotta leave that "what if" in there, considering that an accident worse than ever expected could happen, then what? They'll have to pull ya out the side windows and risk your life (possible becoming paralyzed)... that's not the best idea. It's not a rally car on the road, why build it as strong as one? Even sports cars aren't built that tough, c'mon now...
euro_zx5,Feb 23 2006, 12:25 PM Wrote:

I really don't like subbies much... for many reasons, mainly being way overpriced... but their awd is far superior to the Focus' trac control... by far. Subaru's are expensive because they know people love their control and won't think twice about paying the difference between competitors.

I agree though, I like the trac control in some snowy situations, even sandy roads... but only for straight aways, if i'm pulling really hard turns the trac control isn't quick enough, or maybe the tires are just pure crap... that I haven't figured out yet.

I don't really like this idea very much, the jaws of life arent very useful anymore, now are they? You've always gotta leave that "what if" in there, considering that an accident worse than ever expected could happen, then what? They'll have to pull ya out the side windows and risk your life (possible becoming paralyzed)... that's not the best idea. It's not a rally car on the road, why build it as strong as one? Even sports cars aren't built that tough, c'mon now...
[right][snapback]171860[/snapback][/right]

Subies overpriced?

Porbably some of the best bang for your buck in performance, safety, and reliability, especially if your looking at used ones...

I know in quebec (they love their subbies) you can pick up a 2002 WRX with 80-90K on it for under 17K. What other car are you gonna get for that with the safety, 227Hp, Turbo, AWD for that kind of money? ;)

Dont say audi A4, Im talking a real sports sedan, not something with 180Hp :rolleyes:
Flofocus,Feb 23 2006, 12:26 PM Wrote:

Subies overpriced?

Porbably some of the best bang for your buck in performance, safety, and reliability, especially if your looking at used ones...

I know in quebec (they love their subbies) you can pick up a 2002 WRX with 80-90K on it for under 17K. What other car are you gonna get for that with the safety, 227Hp, Turbo, AWD for that kind of money? ;)

Dont say audi A4, Im talking a real sports sedan, not something with 180Hp :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]171873[/snapback][/right]

Well when it comes to used, for sure it's a good value.
Flofocus,Feb 23 2006, 12:26 PM Wrote:

Subies overpriced?

[right][snapback]171873[/snapback][/right]

Hmmm... i may have to go to quebec... flo, do you have any links i can check out?
Even new dood....

You get ALOT of car for the price...

MSRP of 23K, you get a NA 2.5, 175Hp (well....173 :rolleyes: ), AWD, sweet relaibility & safety.

What was the MSRP of that focus SVT again? ;)
Steve, I've "played" with the AT on the streets. It's definitely NOT the fastest way to get anywhere, but it's the safest. I have confirmed it *will* get the car around a corner that a normal car cannot make. That's because it will apply brakes to the inside rear wheel, slowing the car WHILE rotating it. Most FWD cars, attempting at the same speed, will simply plow the front tires when you turn in, and you'll go off in a straight line.

And yes, I think I've even tested it in an emergency, twice. I can't say if *I* would have crashed without it, but others might have.

First, I was on a backroad somewhere, at night, doing 80km/h. A big racoon ran out, and I swerved to avoid it, throwing the car on to the GRAVEL shoulder on the right hand side. I swerved back onto the highway, without *no* incident. Afterward, I thought "well that was stupid". Any other car, I might have lost it on the gravel.

Second time, just last month during that snow storm, I was heading back to Windsor from Barrie. The storm cleared by London, and I was sailing along on clear roads at 115. There was no snow, but a heavy cross wind. At one point, I hit a patch of ice on the 401, came out of nowhere, at the same time as a cross wind gust hit the car. The entire car slewed sideways and entered the other lane. I steered to correct and went on my merry way. I wonder what would have happened without AT.

I consider myself an exceptional driver. But even Schumi cannot be 100% focused on driving 100% of the time. Even the best will have momentary lapses of attention, or delayed responses to a sudden situation. AT takes care of that. It's always on.

Euro, you're wrong. About everything. Sorry.

Overpriced? The "base" Imprezza is the sleeper deal of the decade. For $24k, same price as a Focus ST, base Fusion, or a Vibe with the usual power options (AC, PW, PL, etc) you get:

2.5L Engine with healthy torque
Real AWD
ABS
AC, PW, PL, Keyless, cruise control
Side impact airbags
Subaru Safety
Subaru Reliability

However, AWD is NOT superior to stability control. Remember, I'm talking STABILITY control. Trac control is s***. I own both cars, and I'll take the ZTW with AT in bad condition, if I want to get to where I'm going safely.

AWD does not offer any extra control over FWD. In my experience, all it benefits is accelerative traction, and some extra stability in split-rolling-resistance situations compared to 2wd.

As for the extrication thing, which would you rather have?

1)A car with strong safety cage, that takes a little longer to cut open to get you out

2)A car with a weak safety cage, where they can quickly and efficiently extricate your dead body?
Flofocus,Feb 23 2006, 12:36 PM Wrote:Dont know if this will work...

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detaili...21&pgno=1&srt=1

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detaili...21&pgno=1&srt=1
[right][snapback]171881[/snapback][/right]

Yup, it did. Thanks :)
^^ Steve, theres another silver one in the same price range....

Just do a search on trader.ca, you just need to change provinces....
Pages: 1 2