FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: How Much Pain Am I Gonna Feel?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm going to assume you guys know what my car looks like and what I've done to it (turbo, no cat, Wilwood brakes, cage, no airbags, etc).

Are the cops still being jackasses to all modded cars, pulling them over and inspecting them and giving BS tickets? Or have they calmed down a bit? Seems the latest media blitz is on "gun violence" so I assume they're focusing on that a little more than street racing and modded cars?

I don't intend to drive the car daily. But I do like to take it out for a spin every once in a while, and of course I have to be able to drive to trackdays, etc...

Compounding matters, I don't have a valid sticker on the plate, cause I haven't attempted a driveclean inspection in years. I guess I could throw a cat on and give it a shot, but I think Driveclean is now looking just going to tap into the OBDII port and check for codes, intead of doing the dyno? That's a problem, because my Pectel has the stock ECU all freaked out, so I could never pass that.

I'm reading a little more, and I'm not sure if they've actually started doing this? I appears they just look for the MIL light, but don't plug in to the OBDII port? That's not a problem, because... uh... I guess my MIL light burnt out. ;)
The cat is part of the visual inspection so you'll have to deal with that somehow. Being as it is a Focus and your mods are go and not show I doubt you'll draw any attention to yourself from the police, the Focus just isn't thought of that way and your car is tastefully done.

When it comes time to do the test darkpuppet and I use the same dealer in TO and have not had any issues (though I'm not sure if he has been tested yet, I have been twice though).

I've not heard of any OBDII reading unless that is how they get the RPM? There is no reason to worry about codes and readings, that isn't part of the test and again darkpuppet's ECU is probably as "confused" as yours.

If Windsor is still not part of driveclean then I'd renew your sticker there and go with the two year option if that is possible based on your model year.
Yeah, it's fairly tasteful, but I've taken it up a notch recently, I have hood pins now, and am going to cut hood vents soon. Gotta try and keep the heat down.

So, it'll stand out a little more now. It was a total sleeper before.

I didn't have as much trouble in Windsor (yes, it is a driveclean area) because cops are few and far between, and most are "car guys". There's just less hassle down here. I just never bothered getting a sticker cause it wasn't worth the trouble. Also, since 90% of my driving was in the US, and they just don't care.
the turbo im sure you can pass, the cage and the airbag delete, I have no idea if they will let you pass. I think I saw something about full cage not being street legal? Look it up on the MTO website, a while back I saw a list that was ungodly regarding mods...

really I miss quebec... :P
2001 ZTS,Feb 18 2006, 09:20 AM Wrote:When it comes time to do the test darkpuppet and I use the same dealer in TO and have not had any issues (though I'm not sure if he has been tested yet, I have been twice though).

I've been tested once, and I passed, but I still have a catalytic converter and my car burned cleaner than brand new.

And the OBDII test came back N/A for all the things I disabled, which believe it or not, doesn't count as a 'fail'
Rob, visually your car won't be a problem, the cage well that depends on how much padding you put around it and how visible that is. Your exhaust may attract some attention well it could be the first thing that directs attention towards you so you might want to quite it down a bit. Are you still using your stock seatbelts not having those will net you a ticket.

As for driveclean..... well build an exhaust for the test with a really good cat and get your car really hot. Not being able to plug into the ODB2 could cause you trouble but I'm not sure they are supposed to test for codes that could cause a failure.

No airbags is not a problem there is no law that says you can't remove it for you own use.

This website is done by the York region police it's a great tool for finding out what’s legal and what's not.

http://www.yorkregionsavealife.com/Erase/side.htm (doesn't work in Firefox IE is the best for it.)
That is a very informative web site. They put the info in terms anyone will understand. I even learned some things. :lol:
Only place I can see you having any issue with the Police would be in the Woodbridge area or in Vaughan Region as they are still cracking down on this.... no matter what time of the year it is.
So, the place where I'll be working is the place where they're cracking down? Greeeaaaat. :(

I don't think my exhaust is too loud Simon, do you? I find the car is actually reasonably quiet with the rotary muffler. ;)

What did you mean about the cage padding? Are you saying if there's too much, it'll make the cage obvious, and I'll get stopped? Or if they see it's well padded, they won't hassle me? I have a ton of FIA padding on it, the good stuff.

As for the belts, I kept the stock belts installed, but I tend to use the racing harnesses as much as possible, cause they're safer with the cage. If I'm in a situation I think it might be an issue, I can put the stock belts over the harness. Technically I'm meeting the letter of the law.

I've been thinking about putting a cat on full time anyway. We'll see. I wouldn't mind having that load off my mind, both legally and morally.

The brakes are one potential issue. But I've done a lot of legal research into that. Technically, Wilwood brakes are not illegal. It's a bit of a grey area. First, there is NO law saying that you "must have dust boots". The only laws are performance laws, does the car stop quickly and safely. There is no requirement for people to use "DOT Approved" replacement brake parts. Any aftermarket brake pad, rotor, or rebuilt or offshore factory replacement caliper is technically "not DOT approved".

The only parts which are clearly "DOT Approved" are the exact parts that came on your car from the factory. There is no mechanism, no approval process, at all, for any replacement brake parts. Furthermore, factory calipers aren't stamped DOT either. They really don't have a leg to stand on here.

The only brake part which has clear DOT approval requirements are the hoses.

I'm pretty glad to see that website specifically spells out that it's not illegal to remove airbags. That's a big deal, and I'm frankly stunned they were that honest about it.
I don't think any cop is going to peg you for the brakes... I would be greatly surprised.
I live in Vaughan and I have never been pulled over. My exhaust is pretty loud! (Borla, SVT header, RT hi-flow cat)

I think this region gets a bad rap because there were a few publicized reports of police cracking down on street racing and gatherings of modded vehicles with loud music doing smoke shows etc.
I think as long as you dont attract attention (Ie: sitting in a Tim's parking lot with 20 other 'suped' cars) then you should be ok.

My car is loud, Borla 2.5", Turbo back...I've been pulled over for speeding and a 'routine check' and they never bothered me about my mods. They did ask that if my Insurance company knew about my mods, all I said was 'yes, they do.'

This is in Ottawa though, I dont hear to many horrow stories about the cops here.
Where do you live? I know in Toronto, they are VERY strict on modified cars. In Ottawa its pretty bad as well.
P-51,Feb 21 2006, 08: Wrote:So, the place where I'll be working is the place where they're cracking down?  Greeeaaaat. :(

I don't think my exhaust is too loud Simon, do you?  I find the car is actually reasonably quiet with the rotary muffler.  ;) 

What did you mean about the cage padding?  Are you saying if there's too much, it'll make the cage obvious, and I'll get stopped?  Or if they see it's well padded, they won't hassle me?  I have a ton of FIA padding on it, the good stuff.

As for the belts, I kept the stock belts installed, but I tend to use the racing harnesses as much as possible, cause they're safer with the cage.  If I'm in a situation I think it might be an issue, I can put the stock belts over the harness.  Technically I'm meeting the letter of the law.

I've been thinking about putting a cat on full time anyway.  We'll see.  I wouldn't mind having that load off my mind, both legally and morally.

The brakes are one potential issue.  But I've done a lot of legal research into that.  Technically, Wilwood brakes are not illegal.  It's a bit of a grey area.  First, there is NO law saying that you "must have dust boots".  The only laws are performance laws, does the car stop quickly and safely.  There is no requirement for people to use "DOT Approved" replacement brake parts.  Any aftermarket brake pad, rotor, or rebuilt or offshore factory replacement caliper is technically "not DOT approved".

The only parts which are clearly "DOT Approved" are the exact parts that came on your car from the factory.  There is no mechanism, no approval process, at all, for any replacement brake parts.  Furthermore, factory calipers aren't stamped DOT either.  They really don't have a leg to stand on here.

The only brake part which has clear DOT approval requirements are the hoses.

I'm pretty glad to see that website specifically spells out that it's not illegal to remove airbags.  That's a big deal, and I'm frankly stunned they were that honest about it.
[right][snapback]171549[/snapback][/right]

Rob, it's been so long now since I came down to Windsor to deliver your cage that I can't remember how loud your car is. Let’s just say that if it's louder than say a stock V8 truck or car you’re going to probably run into some sort of trouble. I wondered how visible your cage way from outside the car, if you’re padding was going to be noticeable or out of place at all. Because your car doesn't look all suped up you should be fine, the exhaust may catch the attention of the police but since your car still looks pretty much stock then they may just drive past be if your cage is really noticeable that might get you stopped. As for the belt, just make sure you can put your stock belt on and you will be fine. I got stopped for that twice both times I got warning, because the cop couldn't disagree that it was safe the way I had installed it and because the belts were FIA spec. They just said that because it's not Canada or Ontario Highway approved then I could get a ticket.

Don't worry about the brakes at all, well just as long as your pads aren't as noisy as ChrisF's his squeaked really bad when they were cold, that would attract the wrong sort of attention. No cop in the world would believe that your pad compound causes the squeak not a mechanical problem.

Oh and DOT doesn't hold up in Ontario well it didn't when I was getting into trouble, so just because you have something that is DOT approved you may still get a ticket. A ticket that you can get thrown out in court, which I did every time.
Never been "busted" once since I did all the aesthetic mods to the Focus nor the performance mods, on any trips to the parents. I've been followed by OPP till they realize it's not a CT special muffler, and then they peel off. Same for city cops.

So long as you don't blow smoke under load and don't sound like Folgers Reincarnated, you ought to be ok. I've actually run to 5k with an OPP officer DIRECTLY behind. Not busted. :lol:
Oh yeah, one thing I have thought of for the emissions testing...

My ZX3 is a 2001, liquid grey. My wife has a 2003 ZTW, in liquid grey. See where I'm going with this...?

I was wondering if I'd be able to put the plates from my ZX3 on the ZTW, and drive to a test center, hand them the green slip for my ZX3, and tell them I need it tested.

Think they actually check the VIN on the car? Or just the plate?
I saw the girl check my VIN last time.
P-51,Feb 22 2006, 10: Wrote:Think they actually check the VIN on the car?  Or just the plate?
[right][snapback]171730[/snapback][/right]
They need the VIN but the guy who tested my Mystique took it off the ownership - didn't look at the dash plate.
They chcked the VIN on my Justy at the Ford dealer this year.....
if you have friends in a garage you could swing that, but if you're just a customer than prolly not. At my gf's shop the one mechanic said he can e-test my car in demo mode without sending info to the ministry.

Like I said if you know someone that can do those things for you all the better. :)

good luck.
Pages: 1 2