FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Police Testing (yet Again)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Well here I go again, I got accepted back for the 3rd time into the city police recruiting process. I'm basically an expert at this it seems. I got my testing on the 22nd and 23rd (next week).

With some luck I'll get though this time, I honestly don't know what's stopping me. They just got done recruiting all the 'quota' the last class (a few months ago) so I probably got my best shot this time.

I've also dropped about 4-5 inches on my waist and been in the gym 3 to 4 times a week for a long time now, tons of jogging (last summer/fall) and cardio in the gym on the bike, etc. I'm hoping to break my best time in the physical by at least 15+ seconds. I'll see. I've ran the test in 4:20 seconds and 4:05 seconds in the past.

Anyway if it doesn't go this time, that's it. I actually volunteer WITH the city police right now as part of their victim services program (have access to the police station, alarm codes, door codes, database access, security clearance, etc) and have done about 100 hours of training also (all on a volunteer basis) with them. I don't know what they will use this time as a reason for not hiring me, we'll see I guess. I can only do my best.......

Wish me luck, I'll probably need it...... I'll update when I get done......
good luck.

should i say brake a leg or no??? mmm not sure on this one.
what was their reason the last time?
darkpuppet,Feb 14 2006, 01:26 PM Wrote:what was their reason the last time?
[right][snapback]170411[/snapback][/right]

'Confidential' is the exact word they used...... I'm assuming it was a 'cultural/female' issue as they hired 20 recruits, 11 were women, 5-6 of the others were 'cultural' and 2 had immediate family still working within the department.

But in saying that, I feel it was a good decision as I'm very much more ready this time around. Way better shape, don't more 'direct' police experience with volunteering, ridealong, etc and things like that.

I'm worried about the physical test though for some reason. It's really 'harsh' on the system when you run it. I know I'll pass it and all but it's a real hit to your body, if your in good shape or not. It's not uncommon to see people puking afterwards and getting some medical attention (for the ones that have alot of difficulty with it) plus you get nervous just being there. My stomach is already in a knot just thinking about it) but I've probably lost 40 pounds since I first ran it and I've passed it each time with at least a 1/2 minute of time leftover.
When you become a cop, please dont let it go to your head.

The 2 freinds I have that have become cops, I can't stand anymore. If they werent cops, I would have sucker punched both of them by now. They really, really, really piss me off. :angry:

Now thats out of the way...haha

Good luck Chad, I know how long you've been trying to get in and I wish you the best of luck, I really hope you get in this time around!
Best of luck and don't be nervous. You're showing the kind of commitment and dedication I'm sure they must be looking for ... that has to count for something.
Good luck! Stick with it, and it'll all come together...
Good Luck!
Yeah thanks guys, it's quite the process. Even if I get though the testing above, I still have an initial interview, a polygraph (about 3-4 hours long), background checking/references (and I'm going to assume that won't be a problem since I already have security clearance) and a final 5-6 person panel interview (high stress) and then after that get sworn in and being my training (5 months academy, 6 months in field, 1 year probation)......

If it falls though this time I'm done with it. I applied at MESC (Brandon's Firefighting College) for March 2007.....
If it doesnt work this time around, have you thought of moving away from sask? Im sure you'd get hired somewhere else pretty quick with all the volunteering & stuff youve done.
Yeah been thinking about that but honestly, it's about the same situation at all the departments. It's extremely hard to get hired on as a white male in any police agency. This is pretty typical across the board, in the states especially.

I'm also turning 30 this year. I don't want to wait much longer to switch careers. Example, the oldest recruit for the Fire Department was 32 years old. Just an example.

I need to switch careers ASAP. My job is pretty unstable even for a government job plus I'm not the type that 'enjoys' doing very little all day and sitting behind a computer in a cubicle. I'd much rather be risking my life (seriously) for others and doing something I can be proud of.

That question on the 'cop' going to their heads, yeah I've seen that also and that whole 'power trip' deal is a big issue when recruits first come out of the academy and usually lasts for several years. I'm doing this for other reasons so I know it won't go to my head. I'm not looking for the power position in this, I'm looking for the 'helping' position in the community but in saying that, I've seen some friends of mine also go the 'head' route and ones that haven't and yeah, I know EXACTLY what you were getting at.
I dont even know why I mentioned it...You do seem to have a really good head attached to those shoulders....
good luck.

I think its weird that physical fitness be a requirement, when half the cops in my town are 250-300 lbs!

by the way, NOT muscle
It seems to me you're taking quite the s***-kicking over this, and I commend you for sticking to your "guns", no pun intended.

I'd walk if you don't make it at this point when you know you have all the pre-reqs covered. Politics are f***ing with your career and it is indeed time to move on. Props for deciding to go into firefighting, a career that is habitually more dangerous in its day-to-day than policing for the most part.

Not every perp wields a gun, but every fire can kill you just the same. Of course, there are lots of intangibles on both sides, so I'll end that train of thought right there.

Good luck, I hope you get treated fairly.
PerfectSaiyan,Feb 14 2006, 03:11 PM Wrote:good luck.

I think its weird that physical fitness be a requirement, when half the cops in my town are 250-300 lbs!

by the way, NOT muscle
[right][snapback]170453[/snapback][/right]

Yeah the 'older' cops...... the new ones coming out, I swear are heavily athletic. The DEPOT (RCMP) for example is beyond anything I've ever imagined. I've had a buddy go though there, you couldn't even recognize the guy afterwards from how much weight he loss and he was in excellent shape before. His whole head/face was different.

There's mandatory physical training in all departments now, even to get in you have to pass a grueling physical test. It's not very easy. The one in this city is an easier one then say Edmonton for example.

I can very much understand WHY cops getting through their training are so proud. It's a HUGE accomplishment.
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 14 2006, 03:12 PM Wrote:It seems to me you're taking quite the s***-kicking over this, and I commend you for sticking to your "guns", no pun intended.

I'd walk if you don't make it at this point when you know you have all the pre-reqs covered. Politics are f***ing with your career and it is indeed time to move on. Props for deciding to go into firefighting, a career that is habitually more dangerous in its day-to-day than policing for the most part.

Not every perp wields a gun, but every fire can kill you just the same. Of course, there are lots of intangibles on both sides, so I'll end that train of thought right there.

Good luck, I hope you get treated fairly.
[right][snapback]170454[/snapback][/right]

Yeah I'm actually suprised I've stuck with it this one (to some extent) as it's hard to stay positive with all the 'negatives' thrown at ya. All I know is that I can say I've tried my best and if for some reason they still don't want me, I know truly that it's nothing I did wrong. I've truly improved each time and as mentioned the 'politics' are very true as a reason for not getting in. I've done it all and if by then they still don't see my drive or dedication in this, maybe it was never ment to be.

On a side note, being 6'4" tall and 260 pounds (very little fat) maybe my size would be a greater benefit and reason to get into firefighting. Of course with that comes a $25,000 education fee (9 months of school) and international accreditation so your basically guarenteed to do that job once you finish as opposed to others choosing your career path (you get the idea).

Still nervous but I don't have as much riding on it this time since 'honestly' I don't really feel I'll get in anyway. Not wimping out, just facing the reality of it.

Thanks for all the Good Luck's as they definitely help calm the nerves I got....
Hey man, your gonna do awsome. if there is one guy that should be a cop, its you.

I hear metro TO cops are hiring, my brother is applying this year.
shoot first ask questions later..... oh wait umm good luck 3rd times the charm :ph34r:
Good luck Chad.
You'll make it this time.
Good luck to you once again.

I took the long hard road to sucess too and in fact it I was not just turning 30 like you are but actually well into my 30's before it finally paid off. You've got lots of time and opportunity yet.
Pages: 1 2 3