FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Want To Buy A Game System Not Sure Which One.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I spent most of last Saturday night playing mario cart with at my GF's friends house with her son and just about everyone there. It got me thinking about getting a system again for occasional use.

I guess I want to play games like mario cart maybe some football but really just fun interactive games.

Any suggestions?
PS2. Why? the price is reasonable and the games rock. I have the Logitech Force Feedback Pro wheel and Granturismo 4 and I have never played anything better. I am so happy with the system and I recomend it to anybody. You can even use PS1 games in the PS2. Also its a DVD player. It has a hook up for an optical cable for the 5.1 surround sound.

Thats my 2 cents.
If you can wait till the PS3 is out the wait will be worth it. The PS3's specs are the highest of the next gen consoles and it will have all the toys that the hardcore gamers are asking for already built in. Also the PS3 will be backward compatible with the whole PS and PS2 library not too shaby if you ask me.

Laterz :)
wait for PS3. Xbox 360 sucks unless you have an HD tv. PS2 is on the way out. Gamecube, absolutely useless unless you have kids. As for the Nintendo Revolution, i think its hype.
if you want to play mario kart, best to get a cube man.

you could wait till the next generation, but you're not starving poor, so you could enjoy this generation.

cube will have family friendly games like mario kart and your sports games.

I personally swear by the PS2, and am anxiously awaiting the PS3, but if you intend to play online a lot, xbox is the way to go.

but occasional use, you can't go wrong with the cube or PS2 (until the next gen comes out anyways)
sex box
PS2 , X-BOX either one is a good choice ( good deals to be had for both systems) . For link play and great games I must say X-Box is better by a nudge. I own both systems and 90% of my gaming is on X-Box.
GT4 is good and a solid race title. Forza has just as good graphics but there's more you can get into.
The Splinter Cell games rule one X-Box. Like "Co-operative games" linked with headset. (eg.Choas Theory)

Just my 2 cents...
ANTHONYD,Jan 17 2006, 11:43 AM Wrote:sex box
[right][snapback]165509[/snapback][/right]

Not if I get caught playing it lots! :lol:

I'm not a hardcore gamer I just want something fun that I can play with when people come over. Maybe I can find a PS2 and a gamecube cheap on ebay or something.

Just want some fun or silly games + some golf stuff for the winter LOL
Another vote for the PS3... 3 game libraries to raid for games, stupid performance, great development team on the hardware at that.

I'm not a console guy, but if I was (again) I'd get a PS3.
^^ yup, I'd wait for a PS3 myself. Personally I prefer PC based gaming as the graphics and in most cases even the speed and 'smoothness' of the games is better then any console I've ever played including the XBOX360.

My bro has a PS2, it's great for a console type gaming device and of all the ones I've tried so far, that would be my choice (right now with what is available) and I've played damn near every single console ever made, way back to the 'intellivision' days (for the older guys on here, you'll remember that one).......
A good used xbox goes probably for $70-100 with two controllers and a bunch of games. Ad a mod chip for $40 and a 80GB hard drive for another $40-50.

Get a game cube.

Its got all your mario games, mario party, mario cart...they are super fun to play with a bunch of people, that what they were made for.

And they still have shooet up games like Metroid, i was addicted to it! And football and tiger woods.

Its the best console for kids, and adults that dont play alot of games because it has easy games you can learn in a second. Unlike sex box and ps2, where you have to learn 14 buttons to play the game.
whoa. suprises me how many people are quick to give props to ps3 as 'the system' for a gamer that's not hardcore. honestly, a gaming console projected to be around $600 USD, is only for serious gamers. personally, for what you're looking for, a gamecube is your best bet. you get the mario-esque games for the fam, and reasonable gameplay and graphics for occassional sports games. plus, can be had for the least amount, new. and with next gen consoles emerging this year, this gen console games will drop in price. xbox360 and most definately ps3, are out of the question.

or, there's the supreme joy of dusting off the NES games for the retro 8-bit lovlies.
Xbox 0wnz... period.

More complex games, better graphics if that matters to you, and way better gameplay in many games compared to Sony's offerings

Game Cube would be my second choice.

PS2 is growing very slowly on me... but the only neat thing (that kids would be better with) is their camera feature. Great potential for gaming imo.

All those systems are cheap, so it comes down to, what do ou want to spend (small diff between them all) and what games will you play. Nintendo games will always rock, but if u want the option of good wholesome violence and graphics/realism... go for xbox... or ps2 I guess.
If I were buying a system right now Id go with the PSP.... Totally versatile, portable, easy as s**t to modify, decent battery life, and because its a sony system its going to continue to have enormous third party support. Oh and best of alll the games are FREE for the most part if you have any ounce of resourcefullness. I got one for christmas and I've barely put it down since... I just picked me up a sweet little gizmo that will ensure that I always have the right game/movie with me where ever I go. At 40gigs I should probably be able to carry 50-60 games with me at all times hehehehe

[Image: prod_CD311-Low_s.jpg]

http://www.apacer.com/en/products/Share_Steno_CD311.htm

-P@
get an xbox and pick up all the games you want a the beat goes on, or your favourite used cd place for a great price. I bought my Xbox Crystal from a co-worker 6 games 2 controllers 2 headsets for $200 so if you look hard enough you'll find a great deal.

I'm a PS2 user here, but I have different criteria, such as the availability of certain titles first on he PS2 (If not exculsively) the PS2 controller is also the easiest of all the consoles for me to use one handed, which because of my disability is important to me. Esp. when I can find one of the smaller versions of it.

I'll get a PS3, but I'm not crazy enough to get a first wave one, that's like buying a first model year automobile, begging for trouble :P

NefCanuck
Hmmm damn guys why couldn't you all have said buy this it seems like each system has it's fans.

I found a Gamecube with 12 games for sale on ebay for $92 so I might just buy that for now if I find I use it then I'll consider something else. If I don't then hell it's less than $100 so no big loss back to ebay it goes.
NefCanuck,Jan 17 2006, 08:33 PM Wrote:I'm a PS2 user here, but I have different criteria, such as the availability of certain titles first on he PS2 (If not exculsively)  the PS2 controller is also the easiest of all the consoles for me to use one handed, which because of my disability is important to me.  Esp. when I can find one of the smaller versions of it.

I'll get a PS3, but I'm not crazy enough to get a first wave one, that's like buying a first model year automobile, begging for trouble :P

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]165596[/snapback][/right]

my first gen PS2 had zero problems for the first 4 years..
Hey puppet: are you still buying every game, or downloading the occaisional one?
Pages: 1 2