FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: I Need Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, I am now exhausting leads as to who can do tuning for the car. It needs it and money is not a concern.

I don't want some might be tuner from a Mustang shop tuning the car. I want it done right the first time for the money it costs.

I have contacted Randy recently at Focus Sport and he no longer does remote tunes.

Steeda, funny story with them. We went and visited them and were willing to maybe give them a shot until they told us we don't need to tune our cam gears beforehand as they can tune them with the Xcal2. Not an alternative anymore.

We want to use the SCT tuning. Looks like we need to get the pro racer kit.

We haven't exhausted all avenues yet but we are running short of ideas.

Taking the car to Turbo Tom is not out of the question.

Any thoughts?
I know Tom will do remote tuning but thats a PITA. Trust me, I've gone threw it.

Has Tapp not come threw for ya?

And theres always Mat Pichette from mako racing. He doesnt use SCT though, he uses diablo. Whats good about Mat, is that he'll come to you Im sure....

I'm still in discussion with Mat for having a dyno day here early spring.
Tapp said they could do it, but they have never done a Focus before.

What I am considering is getting the SCT package with a base tune from Randy and then sending the car to Tapp to have them fine tune the car.
meford4u,Jan 9 2006, 05:57 PM Wrote:Tapp said they could do it, but they have never done a Focus before.

What I am considering is getting the SCT package with a base tune from Randy and then sending the car to Tapp to have them fine tune the car.
[right][snapback]164043[/snapback][/right]

What about DP? He's familiar with SCT, he should be able to clean the tune up for ya. Randy's tuning shouldnt be THAT off.
It's just a basic Focus tune. It won't include the fact we have A JRSC, FR #2 cams, milled head, etc. etc...

DP and I have discussed it, but no offense Steve, even he says he doesn't know everything and is not an expert. I think we could get into some real issues if he tuned the car and something happened. I don't want that situation to arise and thus, why I have avoided the potential for him to tune the car.

Plus, he doesn't want us to have more hp than him :P
You have a JR, wont happen anyways. :P
Wanye at Hypnotic

http://www.hypillauto.com
make the 12hr drive a go see Tom for a day or 2 .. best thing you can do. And theres plenty to do in north carolina anyways .. i love it there
Guess I could reply here instead of replying to your PM...

Unfortunately you don't have a lot of options. You could buy it from Randy, and his base FI tune should be pretty good... he's worked with JRSC, and I can help with the fine tuning of the MAF transfer function, etc...

Trust me, while I would love to help you out, I've been avoiding coming right out and saying, "I'LL TUNE IT!!!".... I mean, I could get it figured out over the course of a couple of days for ya... but I've been learning as I go, and I have no idea at what point that makes me a qualified expert.

We could in theory take it to Ottawa, I'll go and help babysit / troubleshoot... but I'd feel more comfortable if you give yourself a day or two to work out all the bugs.

p.s. I have other parts waiting in my locker should you actually manage more HP than I.
Ask randy how he'd feel about an all expenses paid visit :D. You never know!

Or yeah trailer the car up and drive it down to Turbo Tom!

Randy and Tom are the best guys when it comes to the focus.
Just got off the phone with Mat....

I'll *hopefully* have the car tuned by the end of feb/beg of March.

I will let you know what my results are like. ;)
hardk0re,Jan 9 2006, 06:24 PM Wrote:Ask randy how he'd feel about an all expenses paid visit :D.  You never know!

Or yeah trailer the car up and drive it down to Turbo Tom!

Randy and Tom are the best guys when it comes to the focus.
[right][snapback]164057[/snapback][/right]

trailor it? its driveable isn't it? just can't push it comfertabley to its limits

drive the focus there, then you can have some fun through the mountains on the way home
You can also get a Big Boost Kit from Ford Racing for the Jackson Racing supercharger. It includes a re-flash of your ECU from Ford Racing for the optimal tune eliminating the JR Black Box. The package contains an express post box to send your ECU to Ford Racing for the re-flash. It also includes a 2.3" SC pulley, bigger injectors, SVT MAF, SVT air box and snorkel. I have heard this kit puts the JRSC back up into the league of the more competetive SCs. Add some meth/water injection and you'll have a beast in the summer also.

I am not too sure what to do about your cam shaft tuning. I always thought the regular upgrade cams were counterproductive to supercharger applications unless the cams were specifically cut for superchargers. Mitch had a post a while back asking if anyone in the boosted community had any interest in his custom grind supercharger friendly cams.
The Big Boost kit has me paying for items that I already have. We have bigger injectors, an SVT MAF and a good air box. The bigger pulley is not something we need right now.

So it comes right back to tuning. And yes, we have heard the same about the cams being counterproductive to the SC. With some tuning we can either prove or disprove this "myth". We still have the original cams for the car and they could be swapped back in.

oh hell..buy the prp, I'll tune it for ya...
Dblast has a good idea there, at least theoretically you'd be tuned for all but the head and cams.

You could adjust the expected flow rate numbers for the intake manifold from there, right?

As for the cams? No idea. I'm an old-school big CID engine guy... I'm still learning this new tune-by-ECU stuff.
darkpuppet,Jan 10 2006, 09:43 AM Wrote:oh hell..buy the prp, I'll tune it for ya...
[right][snapback]164212[/snapback][/right]

he's supposed to call randy back today
I think we have resolved the mystery. We have convinced Randy at FocusSport to do a basic tune with the list of mods we have on t eh car and go from there.

With the local tuner reassuring us that he can do it and DP's help, we should getrdun.

Oh, and free shipping and no border fees!
Mom and Dad are heading to Florida and bringing it back.
Anyone need anything from BAT? They are right around the corner from them.
meford4u,Jan 10 2006, 08:43 PM Wrote:Mom and Dad are heading to Florida and bringing it back.
Anyone need anything from BAT?  They are right around the corner from them.
[right][snapback]164409[/snapback][/right]

Ya, I need a Rear SVT Bumper Kit H352V, SVT Rear Upper Lip Spoiler, and throw in a Performance Dual Tone Horn Set M313S. Thanks, what are parking pals for?
They are driving home in the van. I say load er up!

And we now have the hella dual horn set. You can hear it at a meet. It's not in the car yet.
Pages: 1 2