FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Let's Talk Televisions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
We are in the market for a new TV set and I've seem alot of crap out there and alot of overrated product....also alot of high-end stuff that is mind-blowingly good!

I've decided against Plasma TV and i have set my sights on this bad boy

SHARP AQuos

65" LCD by Sharp..

Anyone have this unit or have experience with it?!

The picture is pretty sik...it has all the features/inputs/outputs I need/want and it is very thin!!!

Opinions, ideas, comments are welcome~! Also, what TV's are you people rocking!? Anything else that people can recommend?

thanx
microbunny,Dec 17 2005, 10:14 AM Wrote:We are in the market for a new TV set and I've seem alot of crap out there and alot of overrated product....also alot of high-end stuff that is mind-blowingly good!

I've decided against Plasma TV and i have set my sights on this bad boy

SHARP AQuos

65" LCD by Sharp..

Anyone have this unit or have experience with it?!

The picture is pretty sik...it has all the features/inputs/outputs I need/want and it is very thin!!!

Opinions, ideas, comments are welcome~! Also, what TV's are you people rocking!? Anything else that people can recommend?

thanx
[right][snapback]161380[/snapback][/right]

I'm very close to getting the Toshiba 62" 62HM85
http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=e...=4772&category=

but man I don't think many people on this board have a $20,000+ tv like the Aquos. We drive FOCI :P but it's probably sick
well the best ratings I've heard and read about were on Panasonic & Pioneer brands for plasma, and LCD screens because they offered better warentes and less wareentee issues. Not to sure on prices though.
go and look at all the products in the tv size you want. if you can look at them side by side that even better, think of this like a purchase of speakers. your eyes will decide which one is better.
Take a look at DLP. You have to consider that at some time you might have to fix the tv. Ask the experts that fix them what it's going to cost you(don't worry about asking about plasma they are plug and play and chuck)
I had a friend in the business who got me everything at cost. Too bad he left audio sales to become a cop.
Go projector with a good screen and a ceiling mount.

WAY better for size, the good models (Sony, higher InFocus, Panasonic) don't need much more than a lack of direct light against the viewing area, and even with two replacement bulbs extra it's still way cheaper.
$20,000???? WTF?

The one I looked at was at BestBuy for $6499.99

The stand was extra but I already got a stand!
6500 is only for the 45" double check it on the website.

I personally would be holding off on buying any of the large hd's (except the dlp/ Lcd projection) until more of the bugs have been worked out. On lots of them and this includes the high end units. The pixel reaction rate is not fast enough yet. So in a fast paced scene/movie there is a lot of pixelation. Those bigger chunky squares everywhere. Personally it drives me crazy when I see that. It is usually only on the bigger screens that this occurs. And maybe it is just me but 6500 for a tv just doesn't make sense. Take a rally dvd or something with lots of fast action and test out the tvs that way for reaction time, and whatever other dvd you want for colour.

Sorry man, but do you really think a $6500 tv is what you need considering your past financial situations recently.
Blackzx3,Dec 17 2005, 01:55 PM Wrote:Sorry man, but do you really think a $6500 tv is what you need considering your past financial situations recently.
[right][snapback]161409[/snapback][/right]

I think he and ZX3TUNR shop at the same stores... :P
http://digitalhomecanada.com/index.php?opt...d=845&Itemid=60

ok so I was a bit off, its $25,000 MSRP :P

You were probably looking at a smaller size or maybe it was LCD projection?
Bunny, is it you looking for the tv or are you just investigating for M&D?

01-yellow-ZX3

I used to be a tv salesman, lemme know if you have any questions at all.

My opinion on the best bang for your buck: Toshiba DLP.

Why? Cost, picture quality, features, bulb replacement is simple and not needed for many years to come.

Spend a bit more and get the black Cinema Series Toshiba DLP - and I GUARANTEE you'll be happy with your purchase. If you're not, just bring it back to Best Buy within 30 days.

And honestly - think long and hard about the PSP they offer. If you don't want to spend that kind of cash, please get a good surge protection bar. Sure you're thinking "thats just a way for them to make money, blah blah blah". But when you're spending that kind of money on a TV that only warranties buttons, remote, and accesories for 90 days, and other manufacturer defects for 1 year - you need protection (either PSP or a surge bar at least).

No sense buying a tv like that without HD programming and GOOD quality cables. Get a upconverting DVD player with an HDMI cable, and a HDMI cable from your Bell HD to your tv and you'll be more than happy.

01-yellow-ZX3

P.S. Some tv's out there have a mind boggling markup! So grind 'em!

The advice I give to my friends: go to a really pushy local tv store (obviously very high commission rate), and grind the hell outta these guys and get them to write down their offer. Bring this quote into a Futureshop or Best Buy, and I guarantee they'll fight for your business and make it worthwhile to shop with them?

Why? That little shoddy tv sales place you grinded with has 1 tv out on display and 1 in the back in the box. Best Buy and Futureshop share wharehouses across Canada that stock several hundred of these same tv's!

Who's gonna have a lower cost?

Just remember, Best Buy and Futureshop are the Walmart of electronics for the most part in Canada. They buy in such numbers that they can afford to give you a smoking deal on those Monster Cables, PSP, and delivery.

Good luck!
meford4u,Dec 17 2005, 03:07 PM Wrote:Bunny, is it you looking for the tv or are you just investigating for M&D?
[right][snapback]161421[/snapback][/right]

See your the only one that realized this....

It's not for me...nor am I gonna pay for it....I'm just doing the research..

OHH..And yeah...my bad....I was looking at the 45"~~

the 65" is like 25K.. :huh:

DOH!
Blackzx3,Dec 17 2005, 01:55 PM Wrote:Sorry man, but do you really think a $6500 tv is what you need considering your past financial situations recently.
[right][snapback]161409[/snapback][/right]

What past financial situation?! :huh:

The car?? that was cause of tickets and insurance gouging!!

Anyhow..the TV aint for me...per se///
Figured most likely it was not for you per se, but went off how you worded your post is all.
Blackzx3,Dec 17 2005, 05:02 PM Wrote:Figured most likely it was not for you per se, but went off how you worded your post is all.
[right][snapback]161444[/snapback][/right]

Yeah whatever!

:lol:
my 2 cents (plus or minus a $130 consulting fee)....

The aquos is nice... but I wouldn't buy it.. it's big and expensive, and it's not particularily the best technology out there. It's old school LCD... which means, not the greatest response time (not that it matters for TV really), it's traditionally backlit if I recall correctly which means it's going to look best the 1st day you buy it and slowly work down to the brightness specified by the half life of the flourescent tubes backlighting the thing.

So you don't start off with the best contrast ratios, you'll lose color gamut, and it's not the brightest TV either...meh...

if you want LCD tv's I'd wait for LED backlit ones to come down in price (30" is like 40k).

Staying away from plasma is a good choice. They're a transitional TV that consumes a lot of power, suffers from burn in... bleh

I would recommend either the 6th generation DLPs that samsung has, or the Sony SXRD. SXRD/LCoS TVs are the next generation of pimp.... and the prices have finally come down to where one could actually afford one.... but you can get a 1080p 6th generation DLP for nearly half the price... and with the faster color wheels, it's unlikely you'll notice any rainbow effect, and the response times and (already stellar) black levels have improved even further.

one word on projectors
to get the equivalent picture quality out of a projector, you'd have to invest in an expensive LCos orDLP projector, and then a proper silver screen to display it... and that means you save no money over getting a self-contained rear projector.

So there you have it. I get the feeling your house isn't short on space, I'd recommend looking at the 70" DLP or SXRD.
I hate to 'jack Bunny's thread... but will I get a 96" widescreen for 2000-3000? That's what I can get a 720p / 1080i native InFocus, screen, and ceiling mount for.

I was watching Seinfeld episodes yesterday at the office while they upgraded our main feed to the server room on a InFocus LP540... super clear, and that was just projected onto a white "wipe" board. 4:3 only, at that.

If you're a home theatre buff, and you have a sound system already, you're kinda nuts not to go with a projector. That IS what you're watching at the theatre nowadays anyways.
Not sure what theaters you are going to but almost all in the gta are still film. I know a projectionist at the queensway famous, and work on machinery in the alliance atlantis theaters, and they are also film. The only thing so far in those that are projector is the little ad slide shows.
Pages: 1 2 3