FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Computer Geek Corner
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I bought NFS: MW Black Edition with early Christmas cash. Kudos for the extra content DVD, boooourns for the 4-CD install. What, no more DVDs were available to press the install to?

It's AWESOME. I'm tempted to scab a projector for the holidays and drag the comp up to the surround sound and use the S/PDIF-out on my soundcard.

Graphics are drool-inducing. Unlike the last two (Underground / Underground 2), understeer in a big way / oversteer in a big way is available right off the hop. Also, the Cobalt SS sucks horribly for handling. With big 18s, I expected better.

SUPER GEEK MODE: 1280x1024, full AA and AF via in-game options... I didn't want to stop playing last night.

If anyone else plays, we can have a NFS:MW meet-up somenight on EA Online.

The Source (ex Radio Shack) has USB Christmas Trees... LEDs fire through fiber optic strands, pretty cool. Very campy, but also very geek-friendly.

They're also on sale for like 7 bucks... bought two last night for our computers here at work (one for me, one for Sara).
Have you ever ran 3dmark 05 on that system?
I will shortly... it's due for a clean-up.

Last time I did it I was over 6000 3DMarks.
Cool, if I have some spare cash I might pick that game up myself.

USB powered fibre optic Christmas tree? :blink: Then again I have a 3' tall fibre optic tree that rotates (AC powered though) that I use on the dining room table this time of year so :lol:

NefCanuck
Well, after a couple more days' play... it's supremely addictive. I've got a stupidly-tweaked Cobalt SS right now that's begging for a 6th gear.

I'll need another car soon... cause this one already pulls to redline in 5th :ph34r:
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 19 2005, 10:21 AM Wrote:Well, after a couple more days' play... it's supremely addictive. I've got a stupidly-tweaked Cobalt SS right now that's begging for a 6th gear.

I'll need another car soon... cause this one already pulls to redline in 5th :ph34r:
[right][snapback]161589[/snapback][/right]

No Focus is there to play with eh? It would be the only way I could heavily mod a Focus & be able to drive the darn thing :P

NefCanuck
No, sadly there's no Focus this time. We've been lucky with the last two NFS games and hell maybe they didn't like the 05 hatches?

I raced with a V6 Renault Clio last night, I was unimpressed.

I think my fave so far is the Impreza STi :D
I think I am getting that game for Christmas, I'm a fan of the NFS series and have been for a long time.........
I have that game for the pc... i'm not too impressed with the controls or the physics though

K so far I've played this and am not really impressed. Its not really any improvement over Underground 2. Plus there's not as many options and customizations as in underground 2 from what i've seen.
S2,Dec 19 2005, 11:34 AM Wrote:I think I am getting that game for Christmas, I'm a fan of the NFS series and have been for a long time.........
[right][snapback]161594[/snapback][/right]

Remember that same disappointing feeling from Hot Pursuit 2, expect the same to happen. Just more hype this time.

By far I still think that NFS Porsche Unleashed was still the best.
I find it's nice to actually have understeer or oversteer, as well as lift-off oversteer as opposed to the NFSU/U2 grip-or-die physics. The only thing they've messed up so far is the cop car-to-you physics... the cops always manage to stick to you.
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 19 2005, 10:33 AM Wrote:No, sadly there's no Focus this time. We've been lucky with the last two NFS games and hell maybe they didn't like the 05 hatches?

I raced with a V6 Renault Clio last night, I was unimpressed.

I think my fave so far is the Impreza STi :D
[right][snapback]161592[/snapback][/right]

Funny, since the '05 hatch is basically the same shape except for the nose (Maybe the NFS dev team didn't like the nosejob? :lol:)

I'm assuming there's a Mustang in there somewhere. Mustangs are always fun, even if many game developers generally seem to equate a Mustang to 'Rocket Sled - Can't turn worth a damn though' :rofl:

NefCanuck
Oscar The Grouch,Dec 19 2005, 10:23 AM Wrote:
S2,Dec 19 2005, 11:34 AM Wrote:I think I am getting that game for Christmas, I'm a fan of the NFS series and have been for a long time.........
[right][snapback]161594[/snapback][/right]

Remember that same disappointing feeling from Hot Pursuit 2, expect the same to happen. Just more hype this time.

By far I still think that NFS Porsche Unleashed was still the best.
[right][snapback]161603[/snapback][/right]

Oh yeah I can imagine but I've heard some people say it's awesome and some say it is 'just ok'.... either way, I like the driving games for something different as opposed to the Tom Clancy first person shooters or strategy stye games.

I'll read up on it and download a demo or something before I open the packaging just incase I decide to return it and get something else.....
NFSMW is the best NFS in quite a while. I'm enjoying it. I started out with a Lexus IS300, but the lack of a 6th (as mentioned above with the cobalt) sucks. Bought an Eclipse after that, than an STi, and then a Coxter (Cayman). Haven't had time to play recently though. I don't really care about the body kit stuff so I don't mind that there's only like 4 kits. I like how road blocks work, hit the front of the cars and you get slowed down a lot more than if you hit the back. Weight differences and all. Though I wish your choice of car had more to do with things than just looks. I swear they all perform more or less the same, there's little differences, but it's still pretty arcadey. Atleast FWD vs RWD vs AWD differs.