Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Geek Corner
I bought NFS: MW Black Edition with early Christmas cash. Kudos for the extra content DVD, boooourns for the 4-CD install. What, no more DVDs were available to press the install to?

It's AWESOME. I'm tempted to scab a projector for the holidays and drag the comp up to the surround sound and use the S/PDIF-out on my soundcard.

Graphics are drool-inducing. Unlike the last two (Underground / Underground 2), understeer in a big way / oversteer in a big way is available right off the hop. Also, the Cobalt SS sucks horribly for handling. With big 18s, I expected better.

SUPER GEEK MODE: 1280x1024, full AA and AF via in-game options... I didn't want to stop playing last night.

If anyone else plays, we can have a NFS:MW meet-up somenight on EA Online.

The Source (ex Radio Shack) has USB Christmas Trees... LEDs fire through fiber optic strands, pretty cool. Very campy, but also very geek-friendly.

They're also on sale for like 7 bucks... bought two last night for our computers here at work (one for me, one for Sara).
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Have you ever ran 3dmark 05 on that system?
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
I will shortly... it's due for a clean-up.

Last time I did it I was over 6000 3DMarks.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Cool, if I have some spare cash I might pick that game up myself.

USB powered fibre optic Christmas tree? :blink: Then again I have a 3' tall fibre optic tree that rotates (AC powered though) that I use on the dining room table this time of year so :lol:

NefCanuck
Well, after a couple more days' play... it's supremely addictive. I've got a stupidly-tweaked Cobalt SS right now that's begging for a 6th gear.

I'll need another car soon... cause this one already pulls to redline in 5th :ph34r:

NOS2Go4Me,Dec 19 2005, 10:21 AM Wrote:Well, after a couple more days' play... it's supremely addictive. I've got a stupidly-tweaked Cobalt SS right now that's begging for a 6th gear.

I'll need another car soon... cause this one already pulls to redline in 5th :ph34r:
[right][snapback]161589[/snapback][/right]

No Focus is there to play with eh? It would be the only way I could heavily mod a Focus & be able to drive the darn thing :P

NefCanuck
No, sadly there's no Focus this time. We've been lucky with the last two NFS games and hell maybe they didn't like the 05 hatches?

I raced with a V6 Renault Clio last night, I was unimpressed.

I think my fave so far is the Impreza STi :D

I think I am getting that game for Christmas, I'm a fan of the NFS series and have been for a long time.........
I have that game for the pc... i'm not too impressed with the controls or the physics though

05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
K so far I've played this and am not really impressed. Its not really any improvement over Underground 2. Plus there's not as many options and customizations as in underground 2 from what i've seen.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
S2,Dec 19 2005, 11:34 AM Wrote:I think I am getting that game for Christmas, I'm a fan of the NFS series and have been for a long time.........
[right][snapback]161594[/snapback][/right]

Remember that same disappointing feeling from Hot Pursuit 2, expect the same to happen. Just more hype this time.

By far I still think that NFS Porsche Unleashed was still the best.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
I find it's nice to actually have understeer or oversteer, as well as lift-off oversteer as opposed to the NFSU/U2 grip-or-die physics. The only thing they've messed up so far is the cop car-to-you physics... the cops always manage to stick to you.

NOS2Go4Me,Dec 19 2005, 10:33 AM Wrote:No, sadly there's no Focus this time. We've been lucky with the last two NFS games and hell maybe they didn't like the 05 hatches?

I raced with a V6 Renault Clio last night, I was unimpressed.

I think my fave so far is the Impreza STi :D
[right][snapback]161592[/snapback][/right]

Funny, since the '05 hatch is basically the same shape except for the nose (Maybe the NFS dev team didn't like the nosejob? :lol:)

I'm assuming there's a Mustang in there somewhere. Mustangs are always fun, even if many game developers generally seem to equate a Mustang to 'Rocket Sled - Can't turn worth a damn though' :rofl:

NefCanuck
Oscar The Grouch,Dec 19 2005, 10:23 AM Wrote:
S2,Dec 19 2005, 11:34 AM Wrote:I think I am getting that game for Christmas, I'm a fan of the NFS series and have been for a long time.........
[right][snapback]161594[/snapback][/right]

Remember that same disappointing feeling from Hot Pursuit 2, expect the same to happen. Just more hype this time.

By far I still think that NFS Porsche Unleashed was still the best.
[right][snapback]161603[/snapback][/right]

Oh yeah I can imagine but I've heard some people say it's awesome and some say it is 'just ok'.... either way, I like the driving games for something different as opposed to the Tom Clancy first person shooters or strategy stye games.

I'll read up on it and download a demo or something before I open the packaging just incase I decide to return it and get something else.....
NFSMW is the best NFS in quite a while. I'm enjoying it. I started out with a Lexus IS300, but the lack of a 6th (as mentioned above with the cobalt) sucks. Bought an Eclipse after that, than an STi, and then a Coxter (Cayman). Haven't had time to play recently though. I don't really care about the body kit stuff so I don't mind that there's only like 4 kits. I like how road blocks work, hit the front of the cars and you get slowed down a lot more than if you hit the back. Weight differences and all. Though I wish your choice of car had more to do with things than just looks. I swear they all perform more or less the same, there's little differences, but it's still pretty arcadey. Atleast FWD vs RWD vs AWD differs.
Silver '05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Geek Corner: Multi-touch Screen darkpuppet 8 3,051 02-14-2006, 11:20 AM
Last Post: paolo
  Geek Corner: My Home Network darkpuppet 43 14,075 01-23-2006, 06:24 AM
Last Post: Oscar The Grouch