FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Computer Networking Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Got a quick question for the computer gurus in here......

Basically here's the rundown..... my mom has SHAW CABLE internet at her house. My brother moved back home with her recently and also has a computer. What I want to do is run the internet to BOTH machines using one of the cable modems and not sure what to use. Cheapest way.

I was checking out STAPLES and seen some WIRELESS ROUTER. Would that work? It's only $59 or so. Just curious how it works. Cable modem into Router then how does it get the 'net' to both machines? Assuming some sort of transmitter?

Anyone? I am very knowledgeful on computers but I've never had to set up a 'in home' network before using a router. I understand the whole networking setup on the computers so you can use 'computer' terms.......
I'd say just get a D-Link or Linksys wired router for even cheaper... 20-40 bucks at Staples, depending on the day and what rebates are out. Wireless is enabled by default on every SOHO (Small Office / Home / Home Office) router sold, and that's a free ticket for anyone to use your Internet connection for their purposes.

It's dead simple. 99.9% of all cable companies use a modem-based authentication that you never see, so connect the router, connect the comps to the router... and happy surfing to you!

The thing is with wireless networking is that each comp needs its own wireless NIC (Network Interface Card), just like the wired 10/100 card you're used to plugging the network cable into. That can be another 50-100+ per computer, based on the brand and quality, speed supported (11Mbps, 54Mbps), etc.

Then you need to set the encryption and passphrases, then set that up on each machine identically so you can connect.

My recommendation is that if you can connect each easily with a cable, do it. You can't get any more secure than a wired network.
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku....&affixedcode=WW

That is the one that I was looking at.

Anything else I would need to hook the two machines together so they both use the cable modem? The computers are on two different floors and I don't want to piss around plugging holes thought the walls running a network cable.....

Before I did have them hooked together (long time ago, like years) and used a typical network cable, a reverser (whatever it's called) on the end and two network cards in one machine, one in the other.

Assuming the wireless deal is alot easier.
S2,Dec 5 2005, 09:48 PM Wrote:Got a quick question for the computer gurus in here......

Basically here's the rundown..... my mom has SHAW CABLE internet at her house.  My brother moved back home with her recently and also has a computer.  What I want to do is run the internet to BOTH machines using one of the cable modems and not sure what to use.  Cheapest way.

I was checking out STAPLES and seen some WIRELESS ROUTER.  Would that work?  It's only $59 or so.  Just curious how it works.  Cable modem into Router then how does it get the 'net' to both machines?  Assuming some sort of transmitter?

Anyone?  I am very knowledgeful on computers but I've never had to set up a 'in home' network before using a router.  I understand the whole networking setup on the computers so you can use 'computer' terms.......
[right][snapback]159409[/snapback][/right]

wireless is the easiest but not always the cheapest. You'll need a wireless router, and a wireless card for each PC. Wireless routers do have wired swtiches so you can use it for both. If a machine is close to the router then have that on the wired switch and the other PC that's further away make that wireless with a card.

There are different types of wireless if the distance isn't that great you can get the cheaper ones.

does that help?
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 5 2005, 03:52 PM Wrote:I'd say just get a D-Link or Linksys wired router for even cheaper... 20-40 bucks at Staples, depending on the day and what rebates are out. Wireless is enabled by default on every SOHO (Small Office / Home / Home Office) router sold, and that's a free ticket for anyone to use your Internet connection for their purposes.

It's dead simple. 99.9% of all cable companies use a modem-based authentication that you never see, so connect the router, connect the comps to the router... and happy surfing to you!
[right][snapback]159411[/snapback][/right]

My mom just had her basement finished so she's not really wanting to run more 'holes' in the walls. Just something 'easy'..... so price isn't much of a deal. Basically though, your way above, would still require a network cable run from the machine in the basement, up though the floor to the other room upstairs where the main computer with the internet connection is. I'm guessing that's a good 200 feet or more of cable to get it around everything so $$$$$. Might be cheaper for wireless.

Also, we live in Saskatchewan and the part of the city my mom lives in, especially the block she is on, I think there might be 3 computers on the whole street, everyone is retired, older. Not a big concern of bandwidth theft.
S2,Dec 5 2005, 09:54 PM Wrote:http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku....&affixedcode=WW

Anything else I would need to hook the two machines together so they both use the cable modem?  The computers are on two different floors and I don't want to piss around plugging holes thought the walls running a network cable.....

Before I did have them hooked together (long time ago, like years) and used a typical network cable, a reverser (whatever it's called) on the end and two network cards in one machine, one in the other.

[right][snapback]159412[/snapback][/right]

wow that sounds like a token ring network hehe and you're thinking of a repeater I think. But on the end it should be a terminator ( I'll be baaaack )
S2,Dec 5 2005, 04:54 PM Wrote:http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku....&affixedcode=WW

Anything else I would need to hook the two machines together so they both use the cable modem?  The computers are on two different floors and I don't want to piss around plugging holes thought the walls running a network cable.....

[right][snapback]159412[/snapback][/right]

Just for the record, if it isn't Linksys or D-Link these days, no matter what I won't personally touch it. If I show up to consult and it's a Netgear, SMC, Microsoft, Belkin, whatever... I tell them I'll attempt it but I'm not responsible if it doesn't want to "play ball".

Really... you have NICs in each comp. If they're within a relative line-of-sight of each other... just run a cable to each and call it a day. That's my suggestion.
nass,Dec 5 2005, 03:55 PM Wrote:
S2,Dec 5 2005, 09:48 PM Wrote:Got a quick question for the computer gurus in here......

Basically here's the rundown..... my mom has SHAW CABLE internet at her house.  My brother moved back home with her recently and also has a computer.  What I want to do is run the internet to BOTH machines using one of the cable modems and not sure what to use.  Cheapest way.

I was checking out STAPLES and seen some WIRELESS ROUTER.  Would that work?  It's only $59 or so.  Just curious how it works.  Cable modem into Router then how does it get the 'net' to both machines?  Assuming some sort of transmitter?

Anyone?  I am very knowledgeful on computers but I've never had to set up a 'in home' network before using a router.  I understand the whole networking setup on the computers so you can use 'computer' terms.......
[right][snapback]159409[/snapback][/right]

Yup huge help. So how much do wireless cards go for? Does one come with the wireless router? I'm planning to have the computer with the current internet access (with the cable modem already hooked up to it) be the one where the router is so they will be side by side. The computer going in the basement would be the 'wireless' one.....

wireless is the easiest but not always the cheapest. You'll need a wireless router, and a wireless card for each PC. Wireless routers do have wired swtiches so you can use it for both. If a machine is close to the router then have that on the wired switch and the other PC that's further away make that wireless with a card.

There are different types of wireless if the distance isn't that great you can get the cheaper ones.

does that help?
[right][snapback]159413[/snapback][/right]
look for a wireless router that comes with a bundled wireless card... my friend picked up a d-link wireles router and a free usb wifi dongle for arround a bill, plus he bought a spare one for his second machine, done and done, came out to under $175..
Here's the layout....

Main Floor of house in one bedroom, my mom's Dell with a Cable Modem hooked up to it.

Basement, my brother's room with his computer, it will be a PITA to run a network cable though the newly build walls to the laundry room them up through the vent into the bedroom. I had a cable run before and it was a PITA. I can run one again though.

So say if I decided to hook them up with the network cable (whatever it's called, I can't remember the tech name) I would still need a router, correct? Both machines have typical network cards in them.

Yup huge help. So how much do wireless cards go for? Does one come with the wireless router? I'm planning to have the computer with the current internet access (with the cable modem already hooked up to it) be the one where the router is so they will be side by side. The computer going in the basement would be the 'wireless' one.....

you can get combo deals router/wireless card for about 100-150 with given rebates.

http://www.ncix.com
http://www.tigerdirect.com
http://www.futureshop.ca ?

keep an eye on those sites for deals.
paolo,Dec 5 2005, 03:59 PM Wrote:look for a wireless router that comes with a bundled wireless card...  my friend picked up a d-link wireles router and a free usb wifi dongle for arround a bill, plus he bought a spare one for his second machine, done and done, came out to under $175..
[right][snapback]159420[/snapback][/right]

So basically what you mentioned, the wireless router would be upstairs by my mom's computer, then my bro's computer in the basement would just use that USB KEY thing plugged into the back and that would be it? Besides some network setup (software)......
yes even if you decide to do some cabling to network your computers together, you still need a ROUTER to share the internet
Judging by your last reply, you're set on wireless. Here's what you do.

Buy a Linksys 802.11G wireless router (WRT-54G series).

Buy matching Linksys wireless NICs for each PC.

When you log in to the new router for the first time, do it with a cabled connection. Configure the router as such:

SSID: pick something unique, such as MomSNetWork. It will still be available to determined hackers, but you don't leave your car door open when you go to bed, do you?

Encryption: Use WPA-PSK. Use TKIP for the encryption algorithm. Pick a passphrase you can easily remember but it'll be hard for someone else to figure out, IE: 2001FocusS2Chad or something along those lines.

Web Admin for router: Don't forget to change the web admin password on the router! You can even set it to the same passphrase as the wireless if this makes it easier. What you do need to know is that web admin over unsecured wireless can be sniffed for the password. Because you're configuring it for the first time over a wired connection, this threat is negated.

Once this is done, install the wireless card in each PC, lob in the CD and follow the prompts. Most new Linksys products have a wizard that lets you specify the network name (SSID), encryption type (WPA-PSK) and encryption algorithm (TKIP). You'll also be asked for the encryption key - that's the passphrase you picked earlier.

Once this is done, you should see that you have a successful connection to the wireless network.
S2,Dec 5 2005, 10:02 PM Wrote:Here's the layout....

Main Floor of house in one bedroom, my mom's Dell with a Cable Modem hooked up to it.

Basement, my brother's room with his computer, it will be a PITA to run a network cable though the newly build walls to the laundry room them up through the vent into the bedroom.  I had a cable run before and it was a PITA.  I can run one again though.

So say if I decided to hook them up with the network cable (whatever it's called, I can't remember the tech name) I would still need a router, correct?  Both machines have typical network cards in them.
[right][snapback]159423[/snapback][/right]

just get wireless it's fast easy and nerdy. Just like Paulo and I said get a combo and you're set. A USB adapter would be better cause you can take it another PC if that is of any use to you.
S2,Dec 5 2005, 10:05 PM Wrote:Would this work?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...717&catid=19994
[right][snapback]159429[/snapback][/right]

that's all you need yes. Get the CC out and giv'r
nass,Dec 5 2005, 04:07 PM Wrote:
S2,Dec 5 2005, 10:05 PM Wrote:Would this work?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...717&catid=19994
[right][snapback]159429[/snapback][/right]

that's all you need yes. Get the CC out and giv'r
[right][snapback]159431[/snapback][/right]

Damn you guys are the best. I seriously appreciate all the help on here. I kinda figured some of you guys would be lurking around waiting for the 'go home from work bell'......

I'll check that out tomorrow night. I believe that is the same price 'in house' at the store......

Again I appreciate all your help!!!
regardless of what you do, you'll want a router... wether it's wireless or wired is besides the point.

so Cable modem to wireless router (over the air) to your computers.. if possible, I'd have one machine wired directly to the router (your mom's) for setup, etc.

Setup will be pretty straight forward so long as you read the manuals

If you don't feel like plugging in a Wifi PCI card, you can get USB WiFi adapters.

As for before, I believe you probably used a cross-over connection with internet sharing to connect the two computers together (which you could do between two computers via wifi as well if you wanted).
Too bad you don't have Telus. Last time I was in BC, they provided a 4 port router/modem combo ... so ridiculously easy to set up, it nearly stumped me..

what?? I can just plug it in and it works?
Pages: 1 2 3