FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Headlight Washer Jets.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hmm I was thinking about this as I was looking over my parts from Germany that arrived today, has anyone thought of doing the Ghia, RS, ST170 washer jets to their american car yet ?

I mean for us canadians, I think it would be a wicked idea to have washer jets on the headlights to get the salt or bug guts off them. But has anyone done this ?

I'm asking this question as I noticed on my new euro washer bottle it has the spare holes there to add the washer jet there for the lights, just have to knock out the hole.
Frost__2001,Nov 29 2005, 06:06 PM Wrote:hmm I was thinking about this as I was looking over my parts from Germany that arrived today, has anyone thought of doing the Ghia, RS, ST170 washer jets to their american car yet ?[right][snapback]158387[/snapback][/right]
I think this is a fantastic idea and I've collected a pump etc to try and make one ... the part I haven't figured out yet is where and how to mount the actual jets, and whether or not windshield jets would provide enough spray.

Does the Ford system mentioned above require a separate pump, or does the one pump do it all?

Frost ... what's the benefit of the euro bottle ... and I saw your car today at Chinguacousy and Queen - looked good even if a little dirty.
Definately go for it and report back. I want to do this for the Subaru and this issue has been what has held me back from a HID conversion. HID's to not get the housing hot enough to melt snow or ice so washers are essential, this I know from the MACH's on the Ford.

I believe in Europe washers are the law if HID's are used, it is much more than a luxury feature.
I thought this was neat if I had the money to blow...

Inline washer fluid heater
OAC_Sparky,Nov 29 2005, 10:30 PM Wrote:I thought this was neat if I had the money to blow...

Inline washer fluid heater
[right][snapback]158446[/snapback][/right]

I would buy that but I have no idea how the hell to install something like that (Or where the hell I could stick it in the cramped Foccus engine bay)

NefCanuck
Well when I was looking at my Haines repair booklet for the 2000 ~ 2001 Focus, It talks about it as the Focus they tore apart is from the UK if anyone noticed that has the booklet.

The funny thing about the Euro Washer bottle is it has the holder built in both sides for a washer pump at each side at the lowest end, and a holder for the hoses, and I know from some of the diagrams that the hose just runs down the fender to bumper and across to the other side to hook up to the spray heads.

I was wondering if anyone actually did it, and what spray heads to use as Ford dose not have these on any of their cars here. I was thinking of taking some off a wreaked GLX / VR6 Passat in the scrap yard next time I was there, but I'm kinda conserned about drilling the rebar if I had too to put them in.

Quote:Frost ... what's the benefit of the euro bottle ... and I saw your car today at Chinguacousy and Queen - looked good even if a little dirty.

The benefit of it is I don't have to melt my washer bottle to put the side repeater in place on the driver's side of the car as our american washer tanks are huge and in the way of the repeaters on the driver's side fender.
Our tanks are huge for a reason ;)

And it's a cool idea, although I've always equated washer jets to headlights that had enough vertical surface area to make spraying them worthwhile. The stock Focus headlights (US or UK) are swept back so nicely I can't see it really doing much.

I'm always open to being proven incorrect, however :)
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 30 2005, 08:18 AM Wrote:Our tanks are huge for a reason ;)

[right][snapback]158505[/snapback][/right]

Yup, because they leak. I can go through the entire resevoir in 70km on the QEW and it needs daily top ups.
Frost__2001,Nov 30 2005, 12:32 AM Wrote:I was wondering if anyone actually did it, and what spray heads to use as Ford dose not have these on any of their cars here. I was thinking of taking some off a wreaked GLX / VR6 Passat in the scrap yard next time I was there, but I'm kinda conserned about drilling the rebar if I had too to put them in.
[right][snapback]158491[/snapback][/right]

Why not get the Ford parts from Europe? At least then you know they will be contoured right to fit the bumper and aimed right to hit the headlights. I have no idea if you'd need another pump or not, that would be a good question to post on ffoc.co.uk.

Personally I dont really like the look of having that black plastic bulge on the bumper, but then again we dont get the terrible salt spray you guys get on the roads. I probably go through a 4L jug of washer fluid in a year..
It seems easy, inlet and outlet for the fluid but it's the wiring, what wires would you splice for it? I know you get hose with the kit but the wiring i dunno :blink:
Kool_ZX3,Nov 30 2005, 12:17 PM Wrote:It seems easy, inlet and outlet for the fluid but it's the wiring, what wires would you splice for it? I know you get hose with the kit but the wiring i dunno  :blink:
[right][snapback]158544[/snapback][/right]

Well in every Ghia Focus I've seen ( from photos ) there is no independant button / switch for it, I think it's hooked up to the windshield trigger on the wiper stock, sorta like the de-fog mirrors being hooked up to the rear window de-fogger button I'm guessing..

But guilty is right I should ask one of the guys I know on our siter site in the UK for parts and numbers and to see if he could get them for me.
Frost__2001,Nov 30 2005, 03:14 PM Wrote:
Kool_ZX3,Nov 30 2005, 12:17 PM Wrote:It seems easy, inlet and outlet for the fluid but it's the wiring, what wires would you splice for it? I know you get hose with the kit but the wiring i dunno  :blink:
[right][snapback]158544[/snapback][/right]

Well in every Ghia Focus I've seen ( from photos ) there is no independant button / switch for it, I think it's hooked up to the windshield trigger on the wiper stock, sorta like the de-fog mirrors being hooked up to the rear window de-fogger button I'm guessing..

But guilty is right I should ask one of the guys I know on our siter site in the UK for parts and numbers and to see if he could get them for me.
[right][snapback]158586[/snapback][/right]

Well crappy says it's about a 20 min install so it doesn't seem hard
euro washer jets and resovoir would be cool, but the euro washer resovoir mite be a bit tricky, i believe uk focuses have it on the wrong side of the engine bay, unlike north american???
paolo,Nov 30 2005, 06:33 PM Wrote:euro washer jets and resovoir would be cool, but the euro washer resovoir mite be a bit tricky, i believe uk focuses have it on the wrong side of the engine bay, unlike north american???
[right][snapback]158661[/snapback][/right]

I have the euro washer tank from Germany and it goes in the driver side fender.. should be the same for the UK models.
guilty,Nov 30 2005, 11:43 PM Wrote:I have the euro washer tank from Germany and it goes in the driver side fender.. should  be the same for the UK models.
[right][snapback]158720[/snapback][/right]
Yes, but the"driver side" IS the "other side" in the UK...
OAC_Sparky,Dec 1 2005, 01:36 AM Wrote:
guilty,Nov 30 2005, 11:43 PM Wrote:I have the euro washer tank from Germany and it goes in the driver side fender.. should  be the same for the UK models.
[right][snapback]158720[/snapback][/right]
Yes, but the"driver side" IS the "other side" in the UK...
[right][snapback]158728[/snapback][/right]

the only real differences under the hood on UK foci is how the steering componants are hooked up as their's is hooked up for RHD, everything else is the same, no difference otherwise, lol :lol: do you think ford would redesign a complete drive train and engine just for people in RHD countrys ? lol
my Audi had this for headlights and fogs.. works nice but if you use it when it's really cold out it tends to freeze up after awhile. You need like high pressure nozzles though to make a difference regular nozzles will just wet the lights.
2001 ZTS,Nov 30 2005, 01:30 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 30 2005, 08:18 AM Wrote:Our tanks are huge for a reason ;)

[right][snapback]158505[/snapback][/right]

Yup, because they leak. I can go through the entire resevoir in 70km on the QEW and it needs daily top ups.
[right][snapback]158509[/snapback][/right]

Mine was replaced 2 times. ha ha ha .... After that I just ductaped the hell outta it... and no more leaks.
The hellas could use washer nozzles.. heated ones for the winter would be nice.
Frost__2001,Nov 30 2005, 06:32 AM Wrote:The benefit of it is I don't have to melt my washer bottle to put the side repeater in place on the driver's side of the car as our american washer tanks are huge and in the way of the repeaters on the driver's side fender.
[right][snapback]158491[/snapback][/right]

you drive a sedan, right? So just go to the wreckers and get a ZX3 washer fluid container, ZX3 has the 2nd pump inlucded for the back window. Also replace the regular wiper on/off stick(whatever its called) and put the ZX3 one there. so this way every time you pull the stick it will trun the headlight washers on for you. This way it will look original and no one can tell the diff. The only thing you would require is the passat washers as you mentioned and i'm sure you can get that from the wreckers.

So your shopping list is:
ZX3 fluid container with both pumps.
ZX3 on/off stick (swtich)
passat washer nozzles.

what do you think?
Pages: 1 2