FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Best Place To Get Oil Change
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Where do you guys get your oil change done?

Dealership? Mr. Lube? Cdn Tire? or do-it-yourself?

My last 2 oil changes have been done at Mr. Lube and I'm just wondering
if the motor oil they use is really cheap and crappy (it is the Esso Extra...red bottle).

They do a nice thorough job of checking everything but I'm not so sure about the motor oil...i dont think it is full or part synthetic...esso extra (5W 20) i think is pure motor oil.

When my dad used to do it we used Quaker State synthetic.

...also...does anyone know what Tranny oil Mr. Lube uses? My next oil change i'll have to get my tranny oil changed...and i don't want a cheap tranny oil (just to save me money...i'd prefer to pay the extra $$$ to protect my tranny and keep it for a loooooong time).

Thanks
The dealer - they're quick, they're clean, they always do the proper checks and top-ups... and the oil is ALWAYS 5W-20, unlike some of the other fuktards I've dealt with.
You can change your oil and use Synthetic for about $30. No one else will do it for less than $60.
Do it yourself! It's not too hard of a job
I do it myself all the time!
Costco ... Castrol Syntec 5W-50 @ $39. No mess, no fuss, done while u shop
Ford Charged me approx $20 cash for the employee price once but i think their rates went up to about $30 now for employee price oil change.
Dealer only. I had a garage I used before I got a car with a warranty, but now I really would rather avoid warranty hassles over proving whether extra checks that are "required" are done by the non-dealer shop (Oh I keep all my records, I'm anal that way, but I really have better things to do with my time than debate with a CSR at a Ford dealership about that sort of thing)

NefCanuck
I can't seem to find Mobil-1 5W 20....only 5W 30. Any other brand you recommend? Nobody has responded yet about Mr.Lube. What do you think about them and the "esso extra" (red bottle) they use. Is that stuff like really cheap and basic motor oil?
My last few oil changes have been at Mr.Lube

Mainly because they have pits and nobody else will touch my car :rolleyes: and i can't afford a race jack yet <_< to change my own
At Can. Tire in Burlington on Appleby when Aaron is working.....Free is good for me.
I do it myself, when your using synthetic its the way to go.

02ztsian

Dealer only. They service Fords and know the car and have access to any recall or TSB's besides they are cheaper than Minit-Lube.
02ztsian,Nov 15 2005, 10:43 AM Wrote:Dealer only. They service Fords and know the car and have access to any recall or TSB's besides they are cheaper than Minit-Lube.
[right][snapback]156006[/snapback][/right]

Its an oil change, they better 'know' the car enuff for an oil change. <_<
I don't pay much for a #1 inspection incl. oil change... I'll check the folder tonight when I get home and post it up. It's not much more tha 30ish if memory serves.

02ztsian

Flofocus,Nov 15 2005, 09:13 AM Wrote:
02ztsian,Nov 15 2005, 10:43 AM Wrote:Dealer only. They service Fords and know the car and have access to any recall or TSB's besides they are cheaper than Minit-Lube.
[right][snapback]156006[/snapback][/right]

Its an oil change, they better 'know' the car enuff for an oil change. <_<
[right][snapback]156011[/snapback][/right]
I've had Minit-Lube lie to me (or at best they were mis-informed) or screw up the following:
1. The need to change the cabin filter (there was none) on my wife's Jeep.
2. Strip the oil pan threads.
3. Install the wrong oil (made them drain it).
4. Tell me it was time to change the transmission fluid (got the owners manual and showed them the manufacturers recommended service interval).
5. Recommend to my wife at almost every oil change the need to power flush the oil because she waited too long to change it.
Why do I keep going back? Convienience and speed, I guess. My wife dreads going because she it worried she is being taken advantage of because she is a woman. This is why I trust dealers for service.
I change my own, always will. If i had to though, probably the dealer or get a friend to change it. 12 pack a beer,oil,filter leads to a fun afternoon :lol:
^^ the SAME DAMN THING at Wal-Mart. I think I've told this one before.

We were due down to Toronto the next day. It was the second oil change on the Focus (right before the trip to the East Coast).

We were at the Northgate Mall (best one) in North Bay, grabbing provisions. I elect to take it to Wally World for an oil change as they apparently have 5W-20.

I drop it off, CONFIRM that they have 5W-20 on the shelf and will use it. They will, for a $5 premium. On a Focus. Whatever.

Drop it off, go do some shopping. Pick it up, inspect the service sheet, pay the flunkie.

Drove all of 5-6 blocks to Oscar's place. Start freaking out because the engine (especially the valvetrain) sounds noticeably LOUDER. Straight to the dealer after a phone call.

Detailed inspection (they might have even removed the valve cover) of the engine and oil within (fully drained, flushed)... they used 10W-30. JACKASSES. Inspected it for damage, ran it for a day... nothing lingering. Never had a problem since.

Man, I was so freaking paranoid for the first 2 weeks... I kept half expecting it to toss a rod or something... leftover damage from the other oil.

Moral of the story - there's a reason that even Ford trainee techs are fairly competent... they don't work for WAL-FART.
guess the ol saying stands...

You want it done right, do it yourself...
cornflakes,Nov 14 2005, 11:39 PM Wrote:I can't seem to find Mobil-1 5W 20....only 5W 30.  Any other brand you recommend?  Nobody has responded yet about Mr.Lube.  What do you think about them and the "esso extra" (red bottle) they use.  Is that stuff like really cheap and basic motor oil?
[right][snapback]155946[/snapback][/right]

IIRC Mobil 1 doesn't have 5-20 they carry 0-20 which on the label it says is a replacement for Ford & Honda 5-20 requirements. I've never heard of anyone using this before though.
Pages: 1 2