FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Now This Is A Sweet Turbo Setup...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: f1c429e5.jpg]

v6, turbo off to the right, feeding straight into a air/water cooler straight into the intake... with the right turbo, that screams insta-boost!

makes me jealous... 450 hp

read more about it here
droool....

450HP... turboed v6. Right. What the heck is going to keep it straight / planted in the turns?

Can we say enough torque steer to twist MJ straight? :blink:

I see nothing but madness coming for this guy... first as he uncorks it, then as he either shreds it or ramps it off a tree, etc.

450HP Focuses don't grow on trees for many obvious and common-sensical reasons.

Sano install, tho.
give me a built motor and 25 psi and the only difference will be he weighs more! lol

thats awesome but i dont think it was worht the hassle he was describing, and the amount of mone that cost him must be insane.

(pms ZX3tuning.....can u fit a turbo under the hood of the yellow car??)
of course you can.
i'd personally go with 2 small turbos and a BIG fmic.
A red hot turbo sitting right beside the air-water aftercooler = stupid!
Im sure this thing will have more power, he isnt done yet. More tunning and I think he could get 550 out of it.
Dispite the jelous killjoy SPI owning guy from North Bay that will remain namless pointing out hypothetical flaws....

That car is rude.
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 27 2005, 12:04 AM Wrote:450HP... turboed v6. Right. What the heck is going to keep it straight / planted in the turns?

I see nothing but madness coming for this guy... first as he uncorks it, then as he either shreds it or ramps it off a tree, etc.

Sano install, tho.
[right][snapback]151896[/snapback][/right]

Has anyone ever had trouble with torque steer? Unless he's trying to drag race while drinking a milkshake, I doubt it would be a problem. And he could always do things to reduce any possible axle wrap or differences in the tire's scrub radii to reduce torque steer.

Hell, if torque steer at 400hp was exponentially worse than that at 200WHP, I still wouldn't be worried about it.
darkpuppet,Oct 27 2005, 11:49 AM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 27 2005, 12:04 AM Wrote:450HP... turboed v6. Right. What the heck is going to keep it straight / planted in the turns?

Sano install, tho.

Has anyone ever had trouble with torque steer? Unless he's trying to drag race while drinking a milkshake, I doubt it would be a problem. And he could always do things to reduce any possible axle wrap or differences in the tire's scrub radii to reduce torque steer.

Hell, if torque steer at 400hp was exponentially worse than that at 200WHP, I still wouldn't be worried about it.
[right][snapback]151973[/snapback][/right]

good point.
B)

Sano install, tho.

My car has crazy torque steer....well at leats i think it does. You get used to it, just have to have both hands on the wheels when you wanna punch it.

I betcha youd still prefer to drive my car over yours, even with the Trq steer. ;) :ph34r:
ZX3TUNING,Oct 27 2005, 12:56 AM Wrote:of course you can.
i'd personally go with 2 small turbos and a BIG fmic.
A  red hot turbo sitting right beside the air-water aftercooler = stupid!
[right][snapback]151900[/snapback][/right]
thats what i was thinking too. definitely an interesting set up. is that a fully built motor? for those numbers im going to assume so.
Almost as useless as the V8 Focus conversions if you ask me. Other than "can it be done?" value, I don't really see the point. A whole lot more weight up front, and way more power than the chassis can make use of.

Car would be much faster if they'd put that money into a Zetec.

That intercooler is way too small BTW. Mine is more than twice that size, for half the power. There's nothing wrong with having the turbo right next to the A/W intercooler, if you build the system right. Throw some reflective heat shielding on the side, make sure your heat exchanger is big enough, and it won't matter if the sun is right next to it.

However, I expect none of that was considered in this build.
Take out that headlight and you would get some nice feed into the turbo.

Is that the V-6 out of a cougar?
P-51,Oct 27 2005, 12: Wrote:Almost as useless as the V8 Focus conversions if you ask me.  Other than "can it be done?" value, I don't really see the point.  A whole lot more weight up front, and way more power than the chassis can make use of.

how much more weight does a v6 add?

Quote:Car would be much faster if they'd put that money into a Zetec.

That intercooler is way too small BTW.  Mine is more than twice that size, for half the power. 
Your intercooler is huge, but is it even possibly too large? As in, sure, it never gets hot, but perhaps it has a lot more thermal capacity than you think?

Is there anywhere someone could read up to determine what the most effective size of intercooler and heat exchanger is along with fluid capacity?

All I'm saying, is that while probably unlikely, maybe the car has much more thermal capacity in the intercooler than we give it credit for?

Quote:There's nothing wrong with having the turbo right next to the A/W intercooler, if you build the system right.  Throw some reflective heat shielding on the side, make sure your heat exchanger is big enough, and it won't matter if the sun is right next to it.

However, I expect none of that was considered in this build.
[right][snapback]152006[/snapback][/right]

probably not.. neat to see tho, too bad there aren't more practical super builds..
You could be right, if I understand what you're asking. Maybe my intercooler is so big as to be rediculous, and a smaller cooler would be just as effective?

Could be, but I don't think so. Mainly because of reports I've heard about supercharger intercoolers heat soaking.

For example, the front PowerWorks heat exchanger can't keep up with that blower on track, but it does on my turbo. That tells me I must be close to the limits, and that little intercooler is tiny. I've seen it, it's rediculously small.
FociPhil,Oct 27 2005, 01:18 PM Wrote:Take out that headlight and you would get some nice feed into the turbo.

Is that the V-6 out of a cougar?
[right][snapback]152058[/snapback][/right]

Cougar/ Contour/ Mystique
P-51,Oct 27 2005, 04: Wrote:You could be right, if I understand what you're asking.  Maybe my intercooler is so big as to be rediculous, and a smaller cooler would be just as effective?

yup..

Quote:Could be, but I don't think so.  Mainly because of reports I've heard about supercharger intercoolers heat soaking.

For example, the front PowerWorks heat exchanger can't keep up with that blower on track, but it does on my turbo.  That tells me I must be close to the limits, and that little intercooler is tiny.  I've seen it, it's rediculously small.
[right][snapback]152085[/snapback][/right]

you're probably right... I don't doubt my intercooler per se, but I do doubt the heat exchanger.
They probably started with a SVT Contour version of the 2.5L
Crazirich,Oct 27 2005, 05:16 PM Wrote:They probably started with a SVT Contour version of the 2.5L
[right][snapback]152097[/snapback][/right]

This would make sense, but it doesn't look like an SVT intake ... with the cover off like that you can see the IMRC which means it's most probably a 2.5 (as opposed to a 3.0)
it's not a SVT contour motor.
this is a SVT contour motor.... ZX3Tuning V6 focus
also the SVT contour motor is also a 2.5L, not a 3L.

the Svt contour motor does not weight that much more than the Zetec actaully, maybe a total of 100lbs as it is almost all aluminum IIRC.

this is just a spin-off of the old "Beast Wagon" some of the older guys might remember. same sort of thing, but had a built V6 Svt contour motor and could keep it together with 450fwhp and 400lb/ft. this just appears to be a Cougar/Contour V6 with a giant hair dryer, not heat shielding and a little cooler mounted too close to the hot side of the turbo.

like i said, 2 smaller turbos mounted low with a larger cooling system for the charge and this would be a great setup.

also, our V6 focus handles just as well as any of the Zetec cars did. it did plow a lot under hard cornering but the 24mm front swaybar wasn't helping that either!
Pages: 1 2