FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Rogers Cable Begging People To Go Digital
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay just thought I'd share this, if only because it struck me as Rogers getting even more desperate to seperate its suc^H^H^H I mean customers from their money.

Come home today and there's an offer from Rogers addressed to me for a free Standard Definition digital terminal rental for 2 years! I could help but go "Wow they must really be desperate to get people to switch over from analogue cable"

(Note: I've been advised that this offer is regional in nature and is apparently targeted to specific regions/customers, so YMMV)

Since I have an HDTV capable set this isn't enticing to me but figured I'd give other Rogers customers the heads up to keep an eye on their mailboxes.

Now if it had been for a free High Def rental, even for a year, I would have been sorely, sorely tempted....

Hockey Night In Canada/NHL hockey in High Def -drool-

NefCanuck
lets face it, it costs more moolah to run the legacy analog broadcasting equiptment, just like it does for rogers to run and maintain a legacy AMPS/TDMA Cellular network which fewer and fewer people are using. There will be a point where the costs of running the legacy analog cable transmission outweighs the ammount of return profit it generates, this is where they will automatically just upgrade the remaining customers over and shut down the analog network. Same thing with Cellular.
Nef can you get rid of your post in this thread please? The offer you received is regional and we don't wanna have people calling in/coming into retail to get this. It's only for target areas. If a customer is interested in getting a free digital terminal rental and currently subscribe to Basic Cable, Ultimate TV Pak and have more than one TV, they can sign up for Digital VIP Cable..

Like in the offer you received, there is no programming included except for the standard 2 month preview
I really dont think you guys will get alot of phone calls from focuscanada.... asking for it to be removed is pretty silly.
whats the phone #? ill call and complain tommorrow where my free tv is hahahah :lol:
once Rogers gets everyone off of analog TV, it will free up a lot more bandwidth for digital channels. .. of course they get to charge you for the terminal, etc as well, which is retarded, but it's pretty much the general shift of many market places to a services based business model.

Nothing is free or included any more... I wish they would build digital terminals into TV's already, because it's pretty sad that you pay for a TV, then pay for something that lets you watch TV, then pay for the program guide so you can pick a show to watch, then pay for the channels you watch... bleh.

I'm seriously considering cutting back my TV services. I don't like how I'm paying over a hundred bucks to see shows repeated on 10 channels, having rogers change the channels around to absolute retardedness, PVR programming guide that works sporadically on my wonderfully slow connection.

I'm glad my money is buying new astroturf and videoscreens for baseball--a sport that's unbearable without vast quantities of beer.
Nice one Nef, Rogers = pwnt.

Even tho it's all the same, I like dealing with Cogeco. They're actually nice on the phone.
darkpuppet,Oct 20 2005, 12:23 PM Wrote:once Rogers gets everyone off of analog TV, it will free up a lot more bandwidth for digital channels.  .. of course they get to charge you for the terminal, etc as well, which is retarded, but it's pretty much the general shift of many market places to a services based business model. 

Nothing is free or included any more... I wish they would build digital terminals into TV's already, because it's pretty sad that you pay for a TV, then pay for something that lets you watch TV, then pay for the program guide so you can pick a show to watch, then pay for the channels you watch... bleh.

I'm seriously considering cutting back my TV services.  I don't like how I'm paying over a hundred bucks to see shows repeated on 10 channels, having rogers change the channels around to absolute retardedness, PVR programming guide that works sporadically on my wonderfully slow connection.

I'm glad my money is buying new astroturf and videoscreens for baseball--a sport that's unbearable without vast quantities of beer.
[right][snapback]150348[/snapback][/right]

Yeah i agrees with you totally there.

I just cut back from 350 channels to 60. Mind you this is Saskatel, not rogers.

But thats just another way to make money for rogers. they give you the free rental, then you have to get more channles, or a higher priced package = more money for them.

This digital stupidness isnt worth it, programs cut out, your chanel guide goes all wack. Save your money and your sanity.
Go satellite :lol:

Rogers makes me mad, we get charged more here then the rest of the province for less channels and usually piss poor reception :rolleyes:
Kool_ZX3, I pick on you a lot about how you quote entire posts EVERY TIME, now I'm gonna use you as an example. Hope it annoys you, but that you realize it's all in good fun, unlike some angry people from parts of Ontario that we've been requested not to give a hard time.

PEOPLE LIKE YOU PISS ME OFF! Rogers reception is bad? Better cancel and tell the world Rogers has bad reception. Did you call a tech? Did you get someone to put a filter on your line? If the filter didn't help did they change the line for you? did you make a genuinely conscienceous effort to get Rogers to fix the problem? Did you ask for the direct line to head office? If not, who's at fault? As far as Rogers knows, your line works perfectly. If there is a problem with it, call us, we'll do everything in our power to fix it. Rogers pricing is actually on par if not lower than our satellite competitors. I actually head up a mystery shop program with Starchoice for Rogers to do comparitive pricing.. we came out at over $20 cheaper per month with the same channels and same number of tv's hooked up. Remember, Rogers programming is also targeted to our customers who have more than one service with us... if you have wireless + cable you get a 15% discount if you want it... the cost really drops the more services you have... makes a lot of sense.

Realistically, Rogers is trying to be the all in one solution for everyone in the GTA... think about it, in most places in the GTA you can get Digital Cable, Home Phone, Cell Phone and Internet for less than $107 per month taxes in. Granted that's basic services across the board (Basic Cable + Digital, Rogers Yahoo! High Speed Ultra Lite, Rogers Wireless Megatime $20 Plan and Rogers Home Phone Standard) but still, it's not all that bad.
And just cause I work for cable:

If anyone subscribes to Digital and currently has $9.95 of programming per month or more, or would like to sign up for digital and has programming in mind that would amount to $9.95 per month or more, I can give you $100 off the cost of a digital terminal, whichever one you'd like... that means a Standard Definition box is $0, a high def is $199, PVR drops to $499 and Hi-Def PVR is $699.

The rebate comes off your bill as cash in the amount of $10/month for 10 months (starting the second month after you pick up the box).

Some examples of programming that total $9.95 a month or more:

Pick 5 Specialty Channels of your choice - $9.95

The Movies Pack (all movie channels + The 4 US Superstations + The movie network on demand) - $19.95

Super Sports Pak (NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL Centre Ice, NBA, NASCAR in-car, and more) $26.95 (minimum commitment of 4 months)

Multicultural Channels (Can be anything from Odessey to Talentvision) - Starting from $9.95 per month

You get a brand new terminal with a 1 year replacement warranty from Rogers Video/Rogers Cable. The offer is valid only in stores. If you're interested, contact me at 416-502-9901 between 3-8 Thursday & Friday, and between 10 - 6 Saturday. The name's Al :)

(offer only valid til Oct. 31st)
good to see the brainwashing is finally taking hold Al.. :P
darkpuppet,Oct 20 2005, 07:23 AM Wrote:Nothing is free or included any more... [right][snapback]150348[/snapback][/right]

My TV is free and from what I am reading saves me $1200 per year and countless brain cells.
Well Al here's the story

In my area of new brunswick we are charged more then other areas for less programming and poorer signal(from what i can tell compared to others areas), a tech has been here twice and the reception has gotten better though.

We get less channels and programming then other parts of the province for more money which makes no sense, also they called here one day selling a cell phone to my parents saying oh yes it will work but in this area if you have a rogers cell phone don't bother unless you drive like 30mins either way then it will work then once u leave the city limits, forget it. Now this is new brunswick not the GTA so things are different, we feel left out down here. That's why everyone is taking on satellite. In bigger cities it's hard to beat rogers, but they just don't seem to give 2 fucks about anywhere else. This not not directed to people like yourself, it's to management of the company.

I had rogers digital cable for like 4 months while living in fredericton and service was always great and signal was just fine, even with a crappy tv that my cousin had. The programming and pricing wasn't bad either. Smaller areas are left out to rot.

The reception is still 100% better then before but could be better, but i dunno i am not a rogers tech guy trained in the field.

My parents would have just about everything through rogers but living outside a city, your s**t outta luck. We would have rogers cable internet also but i don't think it's offered up this way.

And yes it's all in good fun, no offense taken Al B)
Cogeco loves me?
I have their digital cable already.......... it's not as good as they say it is, personally I don't see the difference really, other then a few channels always cub(e)ing up wit sound going and then fading to black then blocking up again.
i just wanted to do a quick bump, so frost doesnt try and whore the whole form all at once. btw, digital cable is designed to pixelate, id rather have pixels than snow and staticy reception.
paolo,Oct 20 2005, 08:06 PM Wrote:i just wanted to do a quick bump, so frost doesnt try and whore the whole form all at once.  btw, digital cable is designed to pixelate, id rather have pixels than snow and staticy reception.
[right][snapback]150542[/snapback][/right]

Funny thing is, even my *analog* cable can "pixellate" if the video the channel is playing breaks up during playback (The YTV channel is infamous for this, you can't watch any show on that channel for more than five minutes w/o the picture breaking up and digital cable won't fix that)

NefCanuck
paolo,Oct 20 2005, 08:06 PM Wrote:i just wanted to do a quick bump, so frost doesnt try and whore the whole form all at once.  btw, digital cable is designed to pixelate, id rather have pixels than snow and staticy reception.
[right][snapback]150542[/snapback][/right]

I'd rather have no pixellation :P

I'm assuming that they're saving all the bandwidth for high definition TV.. .. because if I were paying for HiDef, I wouldn't stand for all the compression artifacts on my TV.
2001 ZTS,Oct 20 2005, 01:56 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Oct 20 2005, 07:23 AM Wrote:Nothing is free or included any more... [right][snapback]150348[/snapback][/right]

My TV is free and from what I am reading saves me $1200 per year and countless brain cells.
[right][snapback]150447[/snapback][/right]
how do you get a free tv?
Pages: 1 2