FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Better Go Fill Up Asap
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Actually I came across a really bad car accident before I got into G-town, wow lots of cops from both regions....

Anyways all the gas stations are now Closed but Crappy Tire selling gas at $104.4L.

I passed by Esso, Yes it was closed, and I went all the way through, and I went into the Petro-station were I did see the $2.30 earlier. I talked to the asst. manager, and she said they put it that high TO MAKE PEOPLE LEAVE. Then they turned off the signs with-in a few minutes, and kept only the store open until they close for the night.
Check this out ! ( if your in Toronto or the GTA )

http://www.torontogasprices.com/
Dont you guys see this is exactly what they want everyone to do... Panic and rush out and go crazy over prices worrying yourself sick. Its just like every other friggin industry / the way everything in this world works now a days it seems.

Fear tactics are so stupid yet everyone buys into them.

My uncle was over tonight whos a market analyst for BMO and he was laughing at the fact that prices should not have changed from what they were a month ago here in Canada. In essense, that we are all getting ass raped because they feel like it..
96.8 is what I paid tonite... at Derry & Hurontario it's 149.9 right now
The problem that's becoming rapidly evident is that we need to regulate this kind of s**t.

It's not the same as selling toilets or cars or popcorn, because the market will only bear what the consumers are willing to pay. In this case, the tables are completely turned. The suppliers and their subsequent retail outlets (willing or not, they're still compliant) are artficially forcing the retail price of gas up and the government still doesn't see anything wrong with this. We have NO choice but to pay what they demand, simply because we don't have enough personal stockpiles of gas to offset the price hikes. Prices are inflated either by inflation or fear-mongering, and prices are inflated on gas already at the station that was already paid for at a lower price. This shouldn't be allowed to stand.

So, if enough people organize and form an effective lobby they'll have no choice BUT to see the inherent wrong in the gas oligopoly's ways.

Contact your MP, bring friends, family, coworkers and neighbours into the mix as well. If enough people speak out against this, it can be defeated.

It's funny, people at Esso still liken the sale of their product to milk and water. It's ironic in a literal sense and just disturbing otherwise. They say that water costs 1.50/L in the bottle and that milk is 1.49/L.

First off, when you buy 4L of milk in the bag or jug, it comes out to less than 1.49/L by far. No one outside of single pensioners or possibly a single student buys 1L milk cartons consistently.

As for water, every municipality supplies water to its residents. Whether you pay a flat fee for water (like North Bay) or you pay a metered amount (large cities, like Toronto) you're paying far less than 1.50/L. Even after factoring in several Brita filters, an inline filter system even, you don't come anywhere near close to that level.

The bottom line here is that drinking milk and water is required to live a healthy life, and just plain required to live. Duh. Drinking gas will kill you. I'm just extending the use of their comparison.

Gas is used on a far higher consumption rate each day by every Canadian with a vehicle. We don't guzzle 6-8 bottles of water a day, and we don't consume 8-10L of 1.50/L milk each day. However, it's quite possible that in the natural course of a work day that we regularly consume 10L or more of gas, especially in large vehicles. Commuters know this fact the best.

Each of us determines our own fate. None of us (save for a small few) determine what the price of gas is each day, especially after that gas has already been bought and paid for by the local retailer.

Anyone else see a problem with the fact that the sale of gas isn't regulated?
A report in the paper today stated that the gas companies are warning us not to run out and fill up...why???? because if we depleat our resourses at the pumps, prices will go up.

We're getting bucket-hooped and we like it eaither way.

Bend over fellas.
NOS2Go4Me,Sep 23 2005, 07:49 AM Wrote:The bottom line here is that drinking milk and water is required to live a healthy life, and just plain required to live. Duh. Drinking gas will kill you. I'm just extending the use of their comparison.

Gas is used on a far higher consumption rate each day by every Canadian with a vehicle. We don't guzzle 6-8 bottles of water a day, and we don't consume 8-10L of 1.50/L milk each day. However, it's quite possible that in the natural course of a work day that we regularly consume 10L or more of gas, especially in large vehicles. Commuters know this fact the best.

Each of us determines our own fate. None of us (save for a small few) determine what the price of gas is each day, especially after that gas has already been bought and paid for by the local retailer.

Anyone else see a problem with the fact that the sale of gas isn't regulated?
[right][snapback]144159[/snapback][/right]

Gas and vehicle use is a luxury/privalage not an a right.

I no "tree hugger" but I think the way things are now is disgustingly wasteful and to use one of the latest buzz words "unsustainable". I love to see gas double, triple or whatever it takes to destory the whole suburban myth and the"car culture" that comes with it.
2001 ZTS,Sep 23 2005, 09:24 AM Wrote:I love to see gas double, triple or whatever it takes to destory the whole suburban myth and the"car culture" that comes with it.
[right][snapback]144173[/snapback][/right]

It all fine and dandy for the single guys making 65K+ a year and all, but what about students? People on minimum wage? Single mothers/fathers? etc...

I was talking to a kid at the Candian tire when I was there last night getting one of the Justy's tires patched up. The kid is the son of my landlord and I didnt even knew he got a job as a oil monkey there....

Anyways, he started 2 weeks ago, and hes already thinking of quitting.

"My paycheque is $150 (he works part time, wed, sat, sun), 1/2 of that goes to gas, the other half I pay my half of the insurance on my car (his dad pays the other half), the whole point of me getting a job was to be independant, buy things for myself, supe up my car a little, buy christmas gifts....you know....things you'd do with your own money that you worked hard for, but its costing me more to drive to work than it is to just stay home. Its retarded. "

Are all these students & minimum wage people going to have to work 2 jobs to put gas in there cars? I hope not, thats just crazy.
Flofocus,Sep 23 2005, 09:36 AM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,Sep 23 2005, 09:24 AM Wrote:I love to see gas double, triple or whatever it takes to destory the whole suburban myth and the"car culture" that comes with it.
[right][snapback]144173[/snapback][/right]

It all fine and dandy for the single guys making 65K+ a year and all, but what about students? People on minimum wage? Single mothers/fathers? etc...

I was talking to a kid at the Candian tire when I was there last night getting one of the Justy's tires patched up. The kid is the son of my landlord and I didnt even knew he got a job as a oil monkey there....

Anyways, he started 2 weeks ago, and hes already thinking of quitting.

"My paycheque is $150 (he works part time, wed, sat, sun), 1/2 of that goes to gas, the other half I pay my half of the insurance on my car (his dad pays the other half), the whole point of me getting a job was to be independant, buy things for myself, supe up my car a little, buy christmas gifts....you know....things you'd do with your own money that you worked hard for, but its costing me more to drive to work than it is to just stay home. Its retarded. "

Are all these students & minimum wage people going to have to work 2 jobs to put gas in there cars? I hope not, thats just crazy.
[right][snapback]144178[/snapback][/right]

Public transit!

It won;t kill you.

Try it...it's not so bad.
:rolleyes:
EDIT - directed at 2001ZTS: You'd love to see the "upper crust" of the world afford to take their cars to work and the rest of the working world forced to ride the "New New Delhi Express"? That's public transit, in other words. You're creating a class-oriented lifestyle long after such paltry things have been needed. It's crude, really, what you're trying to do.

I don't advocate the suburban lifestyle, I've always thought it was a joke ever since I was a kid and lived in Malton. For that matter, I can't stand large SUVs, luxo-cruisers, or anything else that burns more gas than it needs to. Again, why do you think I drive a Focus? Because at the end of the day an econobox that happens to be fun to drive outweighs mad, tire-churning power that only gets 15MPG.

Sure, I don't need to drive to work right now, especially with Sara moved to our satellite office about 10 minutes away from head office and Oscar picks her up. But I do drive to work anyways in case I have to jaunt out in the middle of the day when the company car is being used. I'm also getting 27-28MPG in the city which is a hell of a lot better than GGUV (Gas Guzzling Utility Vehicles) get on the highway.

I'm not adopting the American "driving is my right" mindset, but if I'm conserving as I go and driving only as I need to... why the hell should I be penalized like an SUV owner? You, of all people Andrew, who has a WRX and requires 91+ octane confuse the hell out of me. You've got a performance 4-cylinder that requires gas that's 8-12 cents/L more than 87 octane, and just because YOU, personally can afford it you think that's the cut-off mark or something? Because YOU can soak a 2X increase in the price of gas? I could easily soak a 2X increase in the price of gas and still live, especially since we're both working. Do I want that? HELL NO.

We're getting f**ked over and because the government's share is proportional to the sale of gas, they don't care. It's about time we made them care.
Thats great if you live near it. :rolleyes:

Where the kid lives is at least a 20 minute drive from the nearest "Park & Ride". His work is a 5 minute drive from that. Yeah, thats worth it. ;)
USE PUBLIC TRANSIT.

It works great for me.

A tank of gas last 2-3 weeks for me.
Flofocus,Sep 23 2005, 09:43 AM Wrote:Thats great if you live near it.  :rolleyes:

Where the kid lives is at least a 20 minute drive from the nearest "Park & Ride".  His work is a 5 minute drive from that.  Yeah, thats worth it.  ;)
[right][snapback]144183[/snapback][/right]

Public transit also has to work with your schedule. If you start work at 6:30 am (like at McDonalds or Timmies) and the first bus isn't till 7:00, how does that help people. And most of the employees at Timmies and McDonalds are low wage earners.

Fack, I hate rich people. Hey, if you have a solution, back it up and put your facking walet where your mouth is.
Or move closer to work? I'm 4KMs away. A tank of gas lasts 2-3 weeks for me too, including the drive to work, drive to the mall, drive to the other end of town for a movie, etc.

That's half the problem with the people in the south. They think they can dictate solutions for the entire province without realizing that the geography and indeed different lifestyles of the north can sometimes prevent such "solutions" from working correctly.

I don't need the car to get to work. I could walk if I didn't love sleeping in so much. I could take the city bus if I could remember the ass-backward transit routes in this town (possibly - they really are screwed here in North Bay). The car is still the most cost-effective thing for me because:

I'm already insuring it.
I'm far enough to work that I'd need to walk for 20+ minutes to get to work, thanks to lights and major arteries that keep me from walking a constant speed.
I get great gas mileage in town, and carpool the odd time with coworkers.

Not everyone lives 20+ minutes' driving time away from their place of work, and telling us to use a "large-city" solution doesn't always work. It's that simple.

If there were less gas hogs on the market and subsequently on the road, we wouldn't be in the national / international bind we're in for gas. Done.
Oscar The Grouch,Sep 23 2005, 09:46 AM Wrote:
Flofocus,Sep 23 2005, 09:43 AM Wrote:Thats great if you live near it.  :rolleyes:

Where the kid lives is at least a 20 minute drive from the nearest "Park & Ride".  His work is a 5 minute drive from that.  Yeah, thats worth it.  ;)
[right][snapback]144183[/snapback][/right]

Public transit also has to work with your schedule. If you start work at 6:30 am (like at McDonalds or Timmies) and the first bus isn't till 7:00, how does that help people. And most of the employees at Timmies and McDonalds are low wage earners.

Fack, I hate rich people. Hey, if you have a solution, back it up and put your facking walet where your mouth is.
[right][snapback]144186[/snapback][/right]

Exactly the position my roomate is in for his week-end shifts. During the week he takes the bus, but cant on week-ends....

PUBLIC TRANSIT isnt that great if your not in a downtown core or metro like the GTA.
Remember, if fuel goes up, southern Ontario would be f ucked. Sure they have the manufacturing sector, but the raw materials come from up north, including the minerals, the lumber, hydroelectric power, etc...

Stupid rich people, think they have all the answers.
What I'm saying is the whole system is wrong. The layout of the suburbs, lack of transit, dependence on cars ....................EVERYTHING IS WRONG. People mindsets are wrong. You people are wrong. :lol:

It's all wrong and the only trigger that will get it moving the right way is ludicrous gas prices.

For the record there are people, lots of them, with bucket loads of more dough than me taking the bus, many of them don't even own cars.

I am not a rich person. I never even owned a car till I was 29 and before that it was a small motorbike, a bicycle and lots of TTC.

To avoid commuting for hours on transit I lived in cheap basement apartments close to work untill I was 32 when we bought the smallest cheapest house possible, also close to our work. It may be old and small but we save hours of driving per day, could walk, bike, transit to work depending how I feel. There shops, banks whatever I need day to day are down the street.

For tens of thousands to sit in a car by themselves for hours each way to work everyday is GHEY, that is what needs to change.
2001 ZTS,Sep 23 2005, 10:17 AM Wrote:For tens of thousands to sit in a car by themselves for hours each way to work everyday is GHEY, that is what needs to change.
[right][snapback]144198[/snapback][/right]

DING DING DING!!!!
2001 ZTS,Sep 23 2005, 10:17 AM Wrote:For tens of thousands to sit in a car by themselves for hours each way to work everyday is GHEY, that is what needs to change.

I agree on that. But its a reality up here in North Bay. Some of us have to travel many miles in order to get to work every morning. I've spoken with many guys I work with and its mainly the availability of housing/apartments. And if anyone thinks "well just build a goddamn house", well that takes months and some people cannot afford a good sized down payment.

In Toronto, from what I gather, its not just the availability but the cost of living that drives people to the suburbs.

If you want to live closer to work, you have to pay a premium to live there.
ANTHONYD,Sep 23 2005, 10:26 AM Wrote:

DING DING DING!!!!
[right][snapback]144201[/snapback][/right]

taking transit to work is impossible for me. it would involve me taking 2 busses to the subway station, then a subway to union, then another subway to sheppard. after that i'd have to take another bus or two to get to the building where i work...

or i could take a bus, to the gotrain, then the go train downtown, then the subway and a bus to north york... both ways take over 2 hours +.... and i really dont have the choice to move closer to work either because i live at home...

In the end gas prices are damned me royally.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8