FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: "i'm A Stranger Here"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thanks all for the nice welcome, most appreciated!

Let me begin by saying that if a less experienced driver had been steering my wifes 2003 zx5 around the off ramp when it hit a small bump, they might not have made it! It was like the whole back end jumped up and shifted a 1/2 foot.
That sounds like I believe I am as good as Mario Andretti. No, I don't believe that for a second. I have had my share of cars though and I have never experienced the back end going out on me like that before ...ever.
Yes, when I was younger I pushed the limits every time I got out for a spin but this was not the case on that and subsequint occasions.
Prior to that my wife had complained several times before I finally agreed to check it out.
Once that happened to me I have changed tires and shocks to try to hammer out the problem...to no avail.
So at this point, if I don't come up with a cost effective sollution I will have to dump the car for saftey concerns.
I very much look forward to your constructive comments.
Cheers,
Steve
Welcome Steve ... there's a wealth of information available here and the chances are good that someone has experienced what you are going through ... the first bit of advice is to use the search function and get familiar with what's already been written on the subject, and then that will make helping you a more efficient process.

Cheers - Ken.
Yes welcome and most of your questions will be answered here.
Hello
What year is your focus?
Engine
If u can post a photo of your vehicle

Can you tell us what is the problem?

Enjoy your stay
:D Don't worry, we're all a little strange here............... :D
Let everyone know your troubles and we'll get it figured out, everytime.
Welcome to the sight.
Use us often, but be gentle.............. :P
If you need to get rid of it and its auto let me know I might take it off your hands for a couple of bucks.
Thanks all for the nice welcome, most appreciated!

Let me begin by saying that if a less experienced driver had been steering my wifes 2003 zx5 around the off ramp when it hit a small bump, they might not have made it! It was like the whole back end jumped up and shifted a 1/2 foot.
That sounds like I believe I am as good as Mario Andretti. No, I don't believe that for a second. I have had my share of cars though and I have never experienced the back end going out on me like that before ...ever.
Yes, when I was younger I pushed the limits every time I got out for a spin but this was not the case on that and subsequint occasions.
Prior to that my wife had complained several times before I finally agreed to check it out.
Once that happened to me I have changed tires and shocks to try to hammer out the problem...to no avail.
So at this point, if I don't come up with a cost effective sollution I will have to dump the car for saftey concerns.
I very much look forward to your constructive comments.
Cheers,
Steve
:wacko:
ZX3_2NV,Jun 12 2009, 07:57 AM Wrote:If you need to get rid of it and its auto let me know I might take it off your hands for a couple of bucks.
[right][snapback]289394[/snapback][/right]

I said ..constructive comments
You mentioned that you changed the tires & shocks, did you also do the springs? :huh: It's possible that the springs have been compromised...

NefCanuck
oldeguy,Jun 12 2009, 07:01 AM Wrote::D Don't worry, we're all a little strange here............... :D
Let everyone know your troubles and we'll get it figured out, everytime.
Welcome to the sight.
Use us often, but be gentle.............. :P
[right][snapback]289392[/snapback][/right]
Ok, in a nut shell, my problem has to do with the rear suspension. The back end of the car shifts either left or right depending on the turn you are making when you hit even the slightest bump in the pavement. A very good example is driving round an off ramp that has a slight frost heave or some similar imperfect surface.
NefCanuck,Jun 12 2009, 08:08 AM Wrote:You mentioned that you changed the tires & shocks, did you also do the springs? :huh: It's possible that the springs have been compromised...

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]289399[/snapback][/right]
Good point, I did not change the springs but did have them checked out. They were good. and didn't need replacement according to the mechanic.
What bothers me is that I happened to be in my neighbours focus wagon when I felt it do the same thing as my wifes ZX5...the "suspension tango"
How fast were you taking the turn and how big was the bump. I get a little hop every now and again but it is nothing major. Have you had the rear sway bar end links replaced recently?
You need a thick Rear Sway Bar. I have the same prob. It's just the suspension flatening out in order for the car to take the turn. Some people notice it more than others. I use to drive a hole bunch of cars (Parking lot cordinator at DIXIE Chysler) and this is the only one I ever felt like I was gonna lose the back end around the turn but it grips in the very well.
Focus man, Focus.,Jun 12 2009, 09:10 AM Wrote:How fast were you taking the turn and how big was the bump.  I get a little hop every now and again but it is nothing major.  Have you had the rear sway bar end links replaced recently?
[right][snapback]289404[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for your reply,
I was doing bout 80 km on a 60-70 km off ramp. To my mind, I should not taxing the suspension at that speed. If I were at 90+ km I would expect more instability. The bump was nothing more than a joint in the pavement running across the road. To acccuratly describe the intensity on the bump now becomes subjective but sufice to say in my 35 years of driving this comes totally unexpected . And I've never experienced this extent of instability in any tired old vehicle I ever had as a kid.
One more thing, The problem seems to be much less prevailent with the winter tires installed (on regular rims)
I havn't done any more to th ecar except for the $100 4 wheel allignment, the $700 tires and the $200 shocks. I just don't know where bleeding of money is going to stop.
I'm afraid of spending good money after bad at this point.
This problem is so intense that I am surprised that it hasn't been isued as a recall
Cheers,
Steve
Scorcher000,Jun 12 2009, 09:25 AM Wrote:You need a thick Rear Sway Bar. I have the same prob. It's just the suspension flatening out in order for the car to take the turn. Some people notice it more than others. I use to drive a hole bunch of cars (Parking lot cordinator at DIXIE Chysler) and this is the only one I ever felt like I was gonna lose the back end around the turn but it grips in the very well.
[right][snapback]289407[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for your reply,
Do you mean that the focus is the only type of car you really felt the back end shift in?
Beacuse it's the only car I ever really felt such a dramatic shift in the back end in.
I just want to be sure of what you meant.
Beacuse if we are on the same page here, I'll stop spending any more money on bits and peices trying to fix it.
Thanks,
Steve
Broken spring?

I believe there was a recall on focus springs. (or a secret extended warranty if broken)
dBlast,Jun 12 2009, 01:29 PM Wrote:Broken spring?

I believe there was a recall on focus springs. (or a secret extended warranty if broken)
[right][snapback]289417[/snapback][/right]
Front Springs
So you did replace the rear struts but not the springs. You may have a rear spring broken or rear sway bar link with bad bushings or just snapped. Both should have been noticed at the time your alignment was done. But they may have just broken recently.

While taking an on ramp at an increased (high speed) I sometimes feel a little bit of shift with the rear end. I don't really concern myself with it as I am used to the way the car handles and I know that I can keep it in control. Although I don't notice it as much anymore now that I have my Eibach Pro-Kit springs installed which dropped the car 1.5"
Out of curiousity: what make and size tires and what pressure are they at? The fact that you mentioned a change with different tires is why I ask. That and the fact I don't believe you mentioned any sound associated with the "tango".

As well, something the Foucs has that you may not experienced before is "passive rear steering". I am not capable of adequatly explaining it but someone else probably can. Too bad Rob aka P-51 isn't here much anymore.
Pages: 1 2