FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Brake Upgrades...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I'm sure you might have been asked this before, but I'm wondering what brake kits you have available. Not nesacarily the big brake type, but just replacement in general...like flex lines, pads, rotors, and also calipers, rear drum-to-disc conversions, etc. Also, I am guessing that I'll need at least a 16" rim size minimum to fit anything bigger than stock right?

Any advice on the matter would be great...
right now i'm currently sold out of my brake kits. the basic Focus brake kits i have consist of a pair of Brembo blank rotors, Hawk HPS pads and a 1L bottle of ATE Super Blue brake fluid(you should flush your fluid every 2years) for $280cnd plus tax and shipping. add in a set of SS brake lines for $150cnd.

i have this kit on more than a few cars out here and yet to have a single issue even on cars regularly Auto-X'ed

as for big brake kits.
i do not offer anything at this time, i can get the TCE kits which i believe are the best option out there for real "Big Brakes" but i make no money off these kits, i just bring them in as a favor to people. i'm trying to get my hands on a bat kit but bat doesn't want to give much in the way of a dealer discount... <_<
Alright cool...do the blank rotors resist fade better than the stock ones? I'd like to have firmer brakes, and the stuff you put together sounds like it does...I'll give it some thought...thanks man.

:)
what about rear discs?
do you mean upgrades for the rear discs that come stock or swapping to rear discs?

upgrades for the rear are not really needed if you already have discs.
about the only you need out back is a new set of pads and SS lines which come with the kit. the rear rotors do take a huge amount of heat so going with the stockers is a cheap and effective option.

if you have rear discs and want a bigger rotor, you have 2 options really.
TCE makes a 11.75" rear disc upgrade that consists of a braket, rotor and custom hat and all the hardware to install it.
the other option is going to SVT rotors and while i am not 100% sure on this, it requires the SVT rotors and SVT caliper bracket/carrier and should bolt up to the stock hub bracket without issue.

if you don't have rear discs yet, your best bet is upgrading to SVT rear brakes. http://www.svtsalvage.com and a few other places have become the best places to source such parts. just remember brake work together so if you up grade the size and braking power of the rear it will change how the car brakes, possibly in a bad way. so always upgrade the fronts first or do it both at the same time.

Drivesthebeast,Sep 3 2005, 04:05 PM Wrote:Alright cool...do the blank rotors resist fade better than the stock ones?  I'd like to have firmer brakes, and the stuff you put together sounds like it does...I'll give it some thought...thanks man.

:)
[right][snapback]138743[/snapback][/right]

the Brembo blanks to resist fade a lot better than the OEM rotors and in conjunction with the Hawk pads, ATE fluid and stainless lines you will have a rock solid set of brakes. fade shouldn't be an issue after unless you are doing serious track days with tons of successive laps.

if you are having a problem with rotors warping, upgrading your parts 9 times out of 10 will not fix your problem. the problem is not with the parts but how you drive. i have seen it litterally hundreds of times where 2 almost identical cars with the same brakes have 2 VERY different brake wear.
- car one seems to go through brakes every 5-10k rotors are very warped, blued and heat checked.
- car two comes in for brakes every 50-70k the rotors are in good shape without blue'ing or heat checks...
problem here is the driver of car one is abusing the hell out of his/her car and HE/SHE is the reason for the brake issue, not the parts.

just something else to consider.
I follow...I just find that the front rotors (stockers) warp and/or fade quickly...as though they were meant for a lighter car or something. I don't drive my car abusively, I just want brakes that give me more brake fade resistance, and be able to shut the car down from highway speeds more often, rather than just slowing it down. I think you get what I mean...

Also, since I installed the suspension kit, if I use the breaks really hard, they lock easier now in the front...I'm wondering if this is because the car isn't transffering it weight over the front wheels as much, and the struts are pushing the tires harder into the road then the stockers did...

Either way, I like the sound of your kit, and would be interested in getting either it, or a used SVT brake system when/if you have them available...
an SVT brake kit will cost a lot more than a basic brake upgrade.

as for your fade issues.... you would be surprized at what can cause the rotors to warp. you don't need to be hard on the brakes to warp the rotors although that does speed up the process! ;)

let me know when you were looking to do this, i need to place an order for pads soon anyways...