FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Drl Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello All,

I am new here, :ph34r:

Recently moved to Canada from USA, now I have to install Daylight Running Lights on my Ford Focus 2000 to pass the safety check. The local dealership asks for 170$+ tax for the kit & installation.

my question is, does anybody know if it is difficult to get the kit and install it by myself ?

--
Best regards,

Ilmarin
Redsvtfocus should be able to help you, he moved up here from florida too..

From what i hear all you need is the module, and it just gets plugged into the fusebox.
scoobasteve,Aug 30 2005, 11:20 AM Wrote:From what i hear all you need is the module, and it just gets plugged into the fusebox.
[right][snapback]137206[/snapback][/right]
Some people say it is also missing some wirings:
Club Focus thread
Do the fogs-as-DRLs mod and you're set.

The inspection doesn't say which lights need to come on, just so long as they come on when you start the car.

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.p...opic=12847

Download the ZIP file there and read through the PDF file about the Foglights-as-DRLs.

Good luck!

NOS

EDIT - I've done the mod, and so long as the basic wiring is done to the relay box under the hood, this will give you the DRLs you require. Also, if the car was purchased in the States and is known as such, doesn't that get you an exemption? :huh:
No Exemption...

And for DRL's he needs to have a DRL module
But Steve, isn't that just a relay?

AFAIK the cars are all wired for DRL, but the US cars (Mexico too?) just don't have the relay installed.

For the cost of the mod, he could try it and see, no?
NOS2Go4Me,Aug 30 2005, 12:00 PM Wrote:AFAIK the cars are all wired for DRL, but the US cars (Mexico too?) just don't have the relay installed.
Well, at the dealership they shown me a kit with wires and stuff and told me that it will take them an hour to put it in...

NOS2Go4Me,Aug 30 2005, 12:00 PM Wrote:For the cost of the mod, he could try it and see, no?
[right][snapback]137234[/snapback][/right]
I could try to plug in two wires...
Just plug a relay in the #12 spot in the fuse box under the hood. That's it you'll have drl's. If you aren't sure take the relay out of the fogs and plug it in to try.
I dont think its as easy as that... .I seen this drl kit they sell in the USA, apparently, they want to up the safety thing in the usa so they advertize a DRL kit that requires some splicing of your wires.... If it were as easy as plugging in a relay, ford would not make a kit... What part of Canada are you in that requires a Safety check? and can you get a copy of the safety requirements? I have never heard of DRL being "Required" for USA cars being imported into the country.
paolo,Aug 30 2005, 07:33 PM Wrote:I dont think its as easy as that... .I seen this drl kit they sell in the USA, apparently, they want to up the safety thing in the usa so they advertize a DRL kit that requires some splicing of your wires.... If it were as easy as plugging in a relay, ford would not make a kit...  What part of Canada are you in that requires a Safety check? and can you get a copy of the safety requirements? I have never heard of DRL being "Required" for USA cars being imported into the country.
[right][snapback]137412[/snapback][/right]

Yes it is that easy and it was discussed here before. Someone imported an SVT in Montreal and went through the same bs at the dealer. After tips from here he plugged in the relay and Voila he had DRL's. That's how easy it is on a Focus.
bluetoy,Aug 30 2005, 09:03 PM Wrote:Yes it is that easy and it was discussed here before. Someone imported an SVT in Montreal and went through the same bs at the dealer.  After tips from here he plugged in the relay and Voila he had DRL's. That's how easy it is on a Focus.
[right][snapback]137480[/snapback][/right]

Well, I dont want to jump to conclusions when only one car had success, I was visiting some american friends in buffalo a few months ago and their foci had what looked like a different setup in their fuse/relay box... Maybe your buddy from montreal got lucky and had the wiring already there? we dont know this for sure untill more people investigate this and post their findings
paolo,Aug 30 2005, 09:10 PM Wrote:
bluetoy,Aug 30 2005, 09:03 PM Wrote:Yes it is that easy and it was discussed here before. Someone imported an SVT in Montreal and went through the same bs at the dealer.  After tips from here he plugged in the relay and Voila he had DRL's. That's how easy it is on a Focus.
[right][snapback]137480[/snapback][/right]

Well, I dont want to jump to conclusions when only one car had success, I was visiting some american friends in buffalo a few months ago and their foci had what looked like a different setup in their fuse/relay box... Maybe your buddy from montreal got lucky and had the wiring already there? we dont know this for sure untill more people investigate this and post their findings
[right][snapback]137490[/snapback][/right]

Was not my buddy. Why argue over this. It takes like 3 seconds to try and it costs all of zero dollars.
Just did it on my '05... pulled it from R5 (high beam/fog lamp), plugged it into R12... looks like ~80% headlight when i turn the key? turn the lights on, full power.
torradan,Aug 30 2005, 09:46 PM Wrote:Just did it on my '05... pulled it from R5 (high beam/fog lamp), plugged it into R12... looks like ~80% headlight when i turn the key?  turn the lights on, full power.
[right][snapback]137513[/snapback][/right]

im not arguing bluetoy, im just saying... were one step closer to finding out if they are equipt already, thus saving the customer money and time...
Crappy tire sells the Daylight Running module for 20$. Its a simple relay and you hook it up to any light you want. I did this simple mod on my transam to turn the fog lights into DRL's. I didn't have to as the car is exempt from the DRL days however I wanted this mod so I went ahead and did it. Took about 30 minutes tops to do.
Just a head up for those who wanna know....cars built before 1992, regardless if they came with DRL's or not, DO NOT require them, and don't require the installation of that...my dad found this out with his 92 Topaz...it was exempt from requiring them.

OK..OK...im here...the guys at Donway ford were asking around $250 for the drl conversion...it is only a relay (yes #12) as the Blue man said.
I also got the kit for my 95 Dakota and it lasted for a month...not working anymore..and I bought it at performance improvements...lol..!!
I dont like the DRL's so its ok with me.

good luck..and dont let them rip u off...if u are in the gta pm me, I'll tell u where to go to get the inspection..cause Canadian tire..not so trustable....also all the Q& A's about the process.

good luck!
OK, so in a nutshell... do the Foglights-as-DRL mod as described in the Exterior How-To document collection for like 5 bucks and you're set.

Seriously. I need to find my damn camera USB cable so I can upload the new pics of the DRLs.
torradan,Aug 30 2005, 09:46 PM Wrote:Just did it on my '05... pulled it from R5 (high beam/fog lamp), plugged it into R12... looks like ~80% headlight when i turn the key?  turn the lights on, full power.
[right][snapback]137513[/snapback][/right]
Thank you for the tip, I'll try as soon as I can.

BTW, I am in Montreal.
redsvtfocus,Aug 30 2005, 11:02 PM Wrote:OK..OK...im here...the guys at Donway ford were asking around $250 for the drl conversion...it is only a relay (yes #12) as the Blue man said.
I also got the kit for my 95 Dakota and it lasted for a month...not working anymore..and I bought it at performance improvements...lol..!!
I dont like the DRL's so its ok with me.

good luck..and dont let them rip u off...if u are in the gta pm me, I'll tell u where to go to get the inspection..cause Canadian tire..not so trustable....also all the Q& A's about the process.

good luck!
[right][snapback]137573[/snapback][/right]

I said it first :angry: :ph34r: :lol:

ilmarin. Post your findings once you do the mod.
Pages: 1 2