FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Zx5 + Powerworks Blower + Custom Tune = Fun!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just got back from Montreal, where I visit 1-2 times each month for tuning. I was given a ZX5 with a Powerworks Supercharger....after working on a lot of JR blower car's I figured this would be another 150fwhp vehicle, and I would be on my way....BOY was I wrong.

Powerworks Supercharger @ 10.5-11psi
Shorty Header
High Flow Cat
Custom Tune

220WHP/187WTQ :o

This was on 94 Octane Pump Gas.
nioce :o
DD1,Aug 10 2005, 07:53 PM Wrote:nioce :o
[right][snapback]131350[/snapback][/right]

very nice :)
my vortech HO does 191/181 on 91 octane...with stock exhaust.
darkpuppet,Aug 10 2005, 09:16 PM Wrote:my vortech HO does 191/181 on 91 octane...with stock exhaust.
[right][snapback]131368[/snapback][/right]

so are we goign to race on that tv show "PINKS" :lol:
DD1,Aug 10 2005, 08:28 PM Wrote:so are we goign to race on that tv show "PINKS" :lol:
[right][snapback]131375[/snapback][/right]

http://www.all-internal.com has a TV show?
:o
good numbers but, I think you might need a new tuner :D All joking aside mitch gets 218whp and has yet to tune his. Another gent. has his up to 247whp with just custom cams(who has yet to tune his). So, you can get more out of it just get a better tuner :D

btw you wouldn't happen to have proof of this would you :rolleyes:
did that with out tuning....
http://www.zx3tuning.com/images/pics/dyno.jpg
race header, 2.5" complete exhaust 2.5" race cat at 10.4psi on stock PW tuning

they do that power right out of the box with a exhaust on the factory collector, cat and flex at 12psi on Cali Pump 91 (which is like our 89 up here) on stock PW tuning....
http://www.zx3tuning.com/images/pics/pwdyno1.jpg

we just did 247.1fwhp and 199lb/ft on justins car with our prototype cams FC 4-2-1, FC flex and MBRP 2.5" exhaust at 9.4psi on stock PW tuning...
http://www.zx3tuning.com/images/pics/zx3tcams.jpg

who did the tuning on that because it was wasted money? nothing was gained for the money that was spent... if i was the owner i'd be concerned. :huh:

dyno?
datasheet?
pics?

who's car is this on?
Focussport Advertises 221hp 181tq with the powerworks and an exhaust as the old mods?

I know all cars aren't created equal but 170hp from the powerworks out of the gates seems a little low. Nice job but I think whoever got the powerworks done, should probably invest the cash into some race headers to give a little extra power.

At least they are now making what the kit was advertised for. I'd be real upset if a kit that was supposed to give me 220 only gave me 170 :o
170fwhp out of a PW car??
what?
was it even running PW tuning?i retract my statement about nothing being gained but WTF???

some important info is being left out somewhere here...
This car made 182/169 with the PW tune and was retuned by me. Also, this dyno run was stopped at 5900RPM because of a pegged MAF and the car was going lean.

When I am back in 2 weeks, the car will have proper MAF and should pickup some better numbers once we can spin it to 6500-7000.

My car's may make lower numbers than other people but they last long, drive perfect and are reliable....anyone can lean out a car and add timing to make power.

All I am worried about is it made way more power than it did with the PW tune on it....we will see what he gets with the new MAF and some more RPM.

They will be sending me a copy of the dyno sheet as well as some pics.
Focus Sport shows a dyno chart at 12PSI making 221/180 to the wheels on 91 Octane Gas...this is 2psi more and the same numbers.

My customer made, as I mentioned, 182/169 with the PW tune and we made way more only taking the vehicle up to like 6000rpm. The focus sport kit/tune makes way less power around 6000rpm
DD1,Aug 10 2005, 09:28 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Aug 10 2005, 09:16 PM Wrote:my vortech HO does 191/181 on 91 octane...with stock exhaust.

I'll race you if you let me tear out my interior, and you take AnthonyD, Meford, and Scoobasteve (The Brotherhood of the Large™) along for the ride, and let microbunny sit in the front and shift gears.

a stock SRT would KICK my ass... something about having torque, which I ain't got.
darkpuppet,Aug 11 2005, 09:44 AM Wrote:
DD1,Aug 10 2005, 09:28 PM Wrote:

I'll race you if you let me tear out my interior, and you take AnthonyD, Meford, and Scoobasteve (The Brotherhood of the Large™) along for the ride, and let microbunny sit in the front and shift gears.

a stock SRT would KICK my ass... something about having torque, which I ain't got.
[right][snapback]131492[/snapback][/right]

With you driving?????

I think not.
ANTHONYD,Aug 11 2005, 09:48 AM Wrote:With you driving?????

I think not.
[right][snapback]131494[/snapback][/right]

I'm a bit confused... it should be a dig at me, but in this context, it's like a compliment... as though by my driving alone, I wouldn't lose to a stock SRT-4.

or is it because I wouldn't even have a chance if the SRT-4 was dragging an 18 wheeler dragging a piano behind it?

meister@steeda.ca,Aug 11 2005, 04:31 AM Wrote:This car made 182/169 with the PW tune and was retuned by me.  Also, this dyno run was stopped at 5900RPM because of a pegged MAF and the car was going lean.

When I am back in 2 weeks, the car will have proper MAF and should pickup some better numbers once we can spin it to 6500-7000.

My car's may make lower numbers than other people but they last long, drive perfect and are reliable....anyone can lean out a car and add timing to make power.

All I am worried about is it made way more power than it did with the PW tune on it....we will see what he gets with the new MAF and some more RPM.

They will be sending me a copy of the dyno sheet as well as some pics.
[right][snapback]131457[/snapback][/right]

i dunno what to say, i almost want to call BS on that because this car would be the ONLY car on the planet with a PW kit that did not make around the advertized 220fwhp and 180lb/ft right out of the box.

my car is doing it just fine on the PW tuning and is actually running fat, as is justins car on the stock PW tuning!

the FS car is also running the stock PW tuning, not a custom tune.

12psi is what the kit produces on a stock focus because of the bottleneck produced by the factory cat and collector. going with a race header, flex and exhaust will drop PSI because of increased eff.
my car only makes 10.5psi with the PW kit on a full 2.5" ehxuat with my big tube race header and race cat and i'm still pushing 218fwhp and 186lb/ft on that same 10.5psi on the stock tuning... after a retune we will probably be looking at 240+fwhp and 200+lb/ft and be running perfectly safe.

how are you tuning these cars to be "Safe"? :huh:
there is no real trick in setting the AFR and timing based of octane. making a roots-blown car drive perfect is probably easier than making a NA car drive perfect. roots blowers have a near perfectly linear powerband.... there is not much you can do with tuning under the curve.

as for pegging the MAF, again, how?
it's the factory MAF in a larger tube with propperly adjusted MAF tables. even at 247fwhp on justins car we are no where near pegging the MAF on his car, still have about 10% of play before we need to even think about upgrades.

i'm confused how this car is such a lemon.
making 182/169 on stock PW tuning and a pegging MAF...?
this math does not add up, there are serious holes to this story.
is he running his own intake tubing?
what were the AFRs before the retune?
what was the timing set at?
i've datalogged over 20 runs on these kits and am very familiar with how the tuning is from powerworks and your story is REALLY fishy.

please PM me the customers name, i have a list off all the kits currently in Canada and who they were sold to, i'd like to double check some things.
just a thought...

was this done on a mustang dyno?
it's possible that the dyno could be the problem but numbers THAT low.... the dyno would have to be totally out of whack.

like i said, there is some serious info missing to this. i'm confused how this kit could make 170-180fwhp on 12psi... that's sort of beyond the laws of physics.

if i was the customer i would have contected PW about this before going to get tuning... the tuning just voided his PW warrenty.
I don't see the issue here Mitch. I know we were posting low numbers with the JRSC because the stock MAF won't allow you to get beyond 5900rpm. You are probably posting numbers at the 7200rpm range and that is where the difference is.

I don't know the kit, but i do know the MAF problem he is talking about. A recalibrated MAF or an SVT/Mustang MAF with bigger injectors would do the trick to get him up to the 7200rpm range.
I think what mitch is saying is that on his cars that have the PW kit, they are both running the stock maf and he is having no problem whats so ever.

I too don't see why the baseline numbers on that car were sooo low compaered to what everybody else in the states and canada gets using the PW tune. Must be cuz the cars from quebec
Pages: 1 2